• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please giant rabbit with very sore hocks

lelly34

New Kit
My poor rabbit is 3 years old he has his own lounge with sheep skin on the floor so that it's soft for him he had problems with his hocks but they got better I have noticed that his rear end looks like it is giving way and he can't stand very well so I checked his feet again and one foot his ulcer is huge the other foot the ulcer looks like it is healing I have meloxidyl which was prescribed for my ducks it's 1.5mg/ml how much should I give him to help the pain till the morning also any other advice on healing his feet as nothing seems to work. X

It would be worthwhile calling the vet and discussing dose with them because it should only be given on advice only.

I'm wondering if he has a problem in his back end, like arthritis, that is causing the hocks to worsen. I hope your vet is helpful and can help him remain comfortable :)

That would not surprise me what would happen if he has arthritis can he be helped x I hate seeing my animals in pain I will goto the vets in the morning see what they say x I seem to be there every week last week he had an abscess removed from his chin x I love my giant rabbits so much but hate losing them I have a small rabbit he has escaped had mixi and still as healthy as anything but giants seems to suffer I find more that little ones with illnesses.

Back