• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Swollen eye - dental related?

*Bex*

Mama Doe
Flopsy is due in for a dental tomorrow, but this morning she appeared not herself. One of her eyes appears to be slightly swollen, and her third eyelid is partially visable and red. I took her to the vets this morning and she's had painkiller and antibiotics as the vet believes she has an infection in her eye and it is all related to her teeth. When he checked her teeth it seems that either they have become very bad in the past few days, or the vet we saw around 10 days ago when i booked the dental did not realise how bad they were and how urgently they needed doing.
The thing that is worrying me is she is holding her head slightly tilted to the side, especially when she eats/is sat resting. She is tilting it to the side of her sore eye. I worried about EC but the vet also says this is related to her teeth and she is holding it this way as her face/mouth is sore. She is still eating, although not as much.
Can the eye symptoms and the way she is holding her head be related to her teeth?

Flopsy is due in for a dental tomorrow, but this morning she appeared not herself. One of her eyes appears to be slightly swollen, and her third eyelid is partially visable and red. I took her to the vets this morning and she's had painkiller and antibiotics as the vet believes she has an infection in her eye and it is all related to her teeth. When he checked her teeth it seems that either they have become very bad in the past few days, or the vet we saw around 10 days ago when i booked the dental did not realise how bad they were and how urgently they needed doing.
The thing that is worrying me is she is holding her head slightly tilted to the side, especially when she eats/is sat resting. She is tilting it to the side of her sore eye. I worried about EC but the vet also says this is related to her teeth and she is holding it this way as her face/mouth is sore. She is still eating, although not as much.
Can the eye symptoms and the way she is holding her head be related to her teeth?

Yes, sadly it sounds very much like a retrobulbar abscess, probably originating from an infected tooth root :cry:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/s/00dis/Bacterial/RetrobulbarAbscessRabbit.htm

Your Vet will need to take skull radiographs when Flopsy is under GA for her Dental to try to determine exactly what is going on.

Sending vibes for her xx

Thank you, i will definatly be asking the vet to do x rays of her. They will be able to make her better won't they :cry: xx

Thank you, i will definatly be asking the vet to do x rays of her. They will be able to make her better won't they :cry: xx

Much depends on the extent of the problem and what has been effected by the infection. Hopefully it will be possible to keep the infection under control even if it cannot be cured.

Ok, i will speak with the vet in the morning when i take her in. Completely blaming myself for not having her teeth done last week :(
Is there anything it could be that is not an absess? Or is that the most likely thing it could be?

Ok, i will speak with the vet in the morning when i take her in. Completely blaming myself for not having her teeth done last week :(
Is there anything it could be that is not an absess? Or is that the most likely thing it could be?

I would wait until the Vet runs some diagnostics rather than stressing about what it may or may not be. If it is a Dental abscess then hopefully the Vet will decide on a treatment plan which will give the best outcome possible.

It could also just be pain from the teeth, although Jane is almost always spot on. :(
Good luck with the dental, don't blame yourself, rabbits are very good at hiding symptoms. Let us know how it goes and what the outcome is. I'm sure we can give you some more adivce on treatments when we know what it is.

Thanks, its the swollen eye that i am worried about although my mum doesn't think it looks too bad. You know when you just have that feeling of dread that something isn't going to turn out well........:cry:

I've dropped her off at the vets and she is going to be operated on mid morning. She is going to have x rays done of her head and she is going to be given fluids and maybe put on a drip.
I gave her a syringe feed in the night and after that she ate quite a lot by herself. When i got up to check on her at 3.30am she had eaten most of the food i'd left around her pen. I also saw her washing herself and she has wee'd but no poo's. She is quiet in herself, but seems as ok as she can be.
After looking at her this morning im not sure if it is more her cheek that seems swollen rather than her eye, although her third eyelid is still visible and very red. The swelling has happened on the side of her mouth where the tooth grows out toward her cheek. The vet is wondering if this has caused an infection in her cheek.
I can phone after 2 to see how she is, but i don't think i can hold out until then!

Thank you. Heard nothing from the vets so I'm phoning them at 2. I'm hoping no news is good news.

Shes come round ok, the vet could see no obvious abcess on the x ray, although some pus came out when she flushed her nose and tear duct. Her bad tooth is now loose, and some pus also came from there. She believes the swelling is all soft tissue and should hopefully go down, but she thinks something may be beginning to form at the root of the bad tooth therefore we have a referral to FHB for Thursday morning so she can decide the best treatment going forward.
Im going to pick her up in a minute :)

Back