• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please can we have a few spare vibes

BeeBee

Mama Doe
As you all know I am bunny mummy to the wonderful Elphie and Bee who have been inseparable since bringing them back from bonding at Vickys, however they were out this morning having play time as they always do and I came in for ten minutes went back outside to find a ball of rabbits and fur flying, I shouted oi oi oi and grabbed the nearest bun to me which happened to be bee, we ended up at the vets as his eye has been split open, as has his ear and a cut to the nose. We had antibiotic injections and pain relief, they cleaned it up and he is booked in tomorrow at 8.30am to be all stitched back up.

I am completely beside myself and hate myself for one of them getting hurt. Elphie seems fine in herself and I have checked her over 3 times to make sure I'm not missing anything but can't find any wounds, she is hopping about outside and just munching on her pellets and some greens.

I text Vicky and I went to see how they reacted if they saw each other through the bars to see if we could put a pen inside the wendyhouse but Elphie went mental trying to get at bee through the bars. Poor little man is set up inside the kitchen now with all the radiators turned off and his looking very sorry for himself but finally got him to to have a nibble on some hay.

I don't know what has happened there were snuggling before I went inside and then 10mins later it was like bloodshed , there is loads of bees fur everywhere.

I'm not sure quite what the point of my post is, I am just beside myself and feel I have failed them both :(

I'm really sorry that happened.

You haven't failed them. Sometimes these things happen. It might be it was triggered, for example, by the appearance of a cat and they still have those lingering feelings to each other which caused the hostile reaction.

I hope tomorrow goes well for Bee and they both feel much better quickly.

You know my thoughts are with the 3 of you - I hope Bee is ok in the kitchen, bless him. Please don't feel guilty hun, it's not your fault at all xx
xx

I'm really sorry that happened.

You haven't failed them. Sometimes these things happen. It might be it was triggered, for example, by the appearance of a cat and they still have those lingering feelings to each other which caused the hostile reaction.

I hope tomorrow goes well for Bee and they both feel much better quickly.

Thank you I hope so too :)

You know my thoughts are with the 3 of you - I hope Bee is ok in the kitchen, bless him. Please don't feel guilty hun, it's not your fault at all xx
xx

Thanks my lovely, he is currently flopped out bless him xxx

As I said to you earlier I am completely gutted for you. I know how much both bunnies mean to you.

I have no credit left but let me know how Bee gets on tomorrow.

As I said to you earlier I am completely gutted for you. I know how much both bunnies mean to you.

I have no credit left but let me know how Bee gets on tomorrow.

Thank you so much for using your last bit of credit on us. They do mean everything to me and I love them to pieces I will let you know how his op goes. Thanks for your message x

I'm so sorry. :(:( I hope all goes well for Bee tomorrow, lots of vibes from me. xx

Update ( woe is me post)

Hi All :wave:

Thanks for everyones kind words, its so nice to know that others care.

Bee is round from his op but very groggy bless him, and they said the split eye is worse than they initially thought and we are probably looking at future eye problems. I feel such a bad mummy.

My head is still spinning and couldnt sleep properly last night thinking about it. Elphie seems fine in herself, I checked her over again this morning and no obvious wounds, she is still eating her pellets and greens and was running around binkying so seems well in herself.

The only reason I have been able to come to is that when we first had Elphie she had very little confidence due to her background and was very timid, however we have spent hours together and her confidence has grown so much, she know comes to see what you are doing and have a nosey. She has suddenly got even more confident and started washing me the other day, and being the first there for feed, even stealing greens/willow carrots from Bee ( can you believe it vicky!) and maybe she has decided she wanted to be top bunny and it has caused the spat yesterday.

The vet bills are mounting into the hundreds now for his myxi booster, dental and now this surgery and I havent got a spare 6ftx2ft hutch so Elphie currently has their wendyhouse set up outside and Bee is set up inside, but this is only a temporary solution and was only set up as i needed to seperate them after yesterday.

I am now so worried about them being together, and worry so much that if something happens when I am not around to intervene it could end in one of them getting hurt, and I would be equally devastated for the both of them.

I absolutey love them both to pieces, but money wise I cant afford to buy a hutch to keep Elphie in seperate and I dont want either of them compramised on space etc ( bee currently is as he is inside but this cant be for long :( )

I am sorry for the long post I just needed to get it off my chest, I feel such a failure. I feel I have let both Elphie and Bee down and failed them as a mummy, and also that I have let Vicky, Becky and the others at RSPCA Walsall down :cry:

I really dont know what to do as I want to do right by both of them

*squishes tight*

I'm glad he has come round and is now recovering. Hopefully he will start to feel much better soon :)

Sadly, sometimes with the best effort in the world, bonds don't work. What you're saying is very plausible and is actually a very common and normal part of bonding but you may have seen it after a much longer than expected time due to her nerves (normally it happens 24-48-72 hours after they go together).

In your situation I would likely look to return Elphie too and then hopefully, when Bee is better and recovered, it might be an option to try a different bunny.

You only let them down if you make decisions not based on their best interests. Right now ALL your decisions are based on what's best for them so you're doing all you can. You can't control everything, sadly; none of us can.

Awwwh :( Im so sorry to hear your babies have fought :cry: They seemed such a perfect couple. Please don't think you have let any of us down, you really haven't, you are an amazing mummy to the bunnies and it really sounds like a freak accident, nothing which you could have seen coming :(

Your head must be all over the place at the moment, we will stick by whatever decision you make, we know you have the bunnies best interests at heart. I will contact you via email, but please do call whenever you need to :) Sending lots of vibes for the gorgeous Beebee xx

Thinking of you, and hoping Bee Bee makes a good recovery. I'm sure you'll be able to get something sorted out with the help of the rescue. xx

I'm so sorry to read this. You couldnt have known they were going to fight and we cant watch them every minute of the day. It was lucky you went back out to them and happened to catch them while they were fighting. I know how stressful it is as Fay and Starbuck had a locked on fight when we tried to bond them. Its so upsetting. We made the decision not to try them again, and they are both now loved up with other partners and really happy.
Sometimes certain bonds just dont work out. I am really sorry. And really sorry about BeeBee's eye and hope he is recovering ok.
You're doing everything you can for them and doing everything in their best interests - thats all any good owner can do. ((Hugs)).

Sky-O, Becky, Susie-bun and Helen I cannot thank you enough for all your kind words. The support you're words have given me really means the world to me, its so helpful knowing that people out there care and want to help and support you.

As you can imagine I am absolutely devastated by this all and have spent a lot of today in tears over it (thank heavens my boss is an animal person)

Becky you're email is so kind and thoughtful and I keep re-reading it and trying to find strength to stay strong for them both. You Vicky and the others at RSPCA Walsall are a wonderful bunch you truly are.

I had a very long chat with Vicky tonight (thanks hunni you're so kind) and we've gone through things over and over again and she was so kind helpful and supportive.

I am sat on the back doorstep with a very numb bum having some cuddle time with my little Elphie-moo :love:, currently as things stand as much as this breaks my heart it looks like Elphie will be going back to Vickys on Thursday and hopefully a wonderful family out there is waiting for her. She is truly a wonderful bunny, it hasn't been an easy decision to make at all and Vicky and Becky have been 100% supportive of me, and it isn't a decision that has been easy to make but I feel with how things happened yesterday and the fact that 10minutes before hand she had been grooming Bee I am unsure if I would ever be able to leave them alone together again for fear of either of them getting hurt as I have both their best interests at heart. This hasn't been easy for me to decide and I still can't thank Vicky enough for the initial bonding and were all shocked that this has happened between this pair as it was completely out of the blue.

Bee is understandably rather groggy after his ordeal but were managing to get him to eat and have been syringe feeding him and we finally have some poops!! Hooray.

Elphie is still doing well and enjoying her pellets and spring greens.

This was the first and only sign of agression I have ever seen from Elphie she is blossoming into the most wonderful little character who will always have a special place in my heart, and I will do everything in my powers to help Vicky and Becky with finding her a forever home. Her confidence is blossoming every day and she is the most beautiful little girly ever.

I'm not sure what else to put as its all still so raw but thank you everyone on RU for taking the time to say such kind words and thanks Sky-O for the tight squeeze, it's greatly received.

The 3 of us sends hugs and nose rubs to you all and big ones to Vicky and Becky xxx

We just feel so sad for you all that it didnt work out, its so clear to see how much you love and care about them both. I must admit I felt just the same with Starbuck and Fay and that is partly why we didnt try again to bond them again after their fight. All I can say is that each of them is now with, what seems like, their perfect partners. And I am sure the same will be true for BeeBee and Elphie and that they too will be very happy in the future.
It must be so heartbreaking to make the decision about Elphie, so brave to put your feelings for her aside so that she can have a happy life with another family. I really wish the outcome had been different for you all, I feel so sad for you all.

Nose-rubs for BeeBee and Elphie and hugs for you.

We just feel so sad for you all that it didnt work out, its so clear to see how much you love and care about them both. I must admit I felt just the same with Starbuck and Fay and that is partly why we didnt try again to bond them again after their fight. All I can say is that each of them is now with, what seems like, their perfect partners. And I am sure the same will be true for BeeBee and Elphie and that they too will be very happy in the future.
It must be so heartbreaking to make the decision about Elphie, so brave to put your feelings for her aside so that she can have a happy life with another family. I really wish the outcome had been different for you all, I feel so sad for you all.

Nose-rubs for BeeBee and Elphie and hugs for you.

Aw Helen thank you so much that's a lovely message. I am devastated but trying to put both of their feelings first and before mine and do what's right by them and ensure that neither of them are compromised in any way. It is so devastating as they had both helped each other so much, bee now has greens and has managed to learn from Elphie how to eat his ceacals which is a massive bonus for both me and him, and Elphie has learnt lots of rabbit behaviour from bee and her confidence with us humans has grown no end, when I first had her the noise of the hay bag would startle her now she knows it means nommy hay so she is their like a shot. It helps to know that others have experienced problems too (hope that doesn't come across wrong) I don't wish a bunny fight on any bun, and it's nice to know that Fay and Starbuck have new partners.
Hugs :)

Back