• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mum saying no more animals :(

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
Well I have noticed Rosie has gotten really lonely looking and frustrated :( I bought her loads of chew toys and wooden toys to throw about her new 6ft hutch but she doesn't even want those anymore and gives them a little chew and then that is it. She just lays down and watches the world go by. She doesn't want to play anymore and although she is healthy and eating and everything she seems so bored and lonely :( A forum user, Yvette, in Devon said she could help me to find and bond a rabbit with Rosie as she only lives 45 minutes away and near a rescue. I asked mum and she said no more animals be happy with the ones you have and I just said well Rosie clearly isn't happy being on her own and even, a few months ago, a family member who likes rabbits told my mum it was cruel to keep them alone and mum was all humming and arring. My boyfriend has a car and would be more then willing to drive me up there, should I just go and take Rosie? I mean I do still live at home for the time being but I am nearly 19 and you know, every teenager year old is rebellious ;) I am sure once she sees a new cute bunny she will forget she ever said no :lol:

Last edited:
It's not particularly the mature thing to do to just do it without telling so no, I wouldn't suggest that. You may be 19 but you live under your mum's roof so have to respect her rules. I'm 29 and live under my parents roof and have to respect their rules. It's the way life is. When you move out you can make your own rules.

That said, I would keep trying to educate your mum, but explain it's not about what's best for you, but about what's best for Rosie and because you love her you don't want her welfare compromised and you want to be the best owner you can be for her or something like that. I hope you do manage to find a way to get Rosie a friend whilst respecting your mum as well.

:wave: Sorry but it's a bad idea to go against someones wishes when it's her house. You need to find out why she objects and put forward valid counter arguements.

e.g. who is responsible for the Vet bills? You or your Mum? If it's yourself, you need to show her that you are responsible enough and can afford to take on another bun, maybe by saving a certain amount regularly to cover Vet bills.

Who is responsible for the day to day care i.e. cleaning. If it's yourself, is she concerned that you couldn't fit caring for another into your lifestyle.

Good lucck with finding out the objections and proving them unfounded.

I guess you are right lol
I will keep trying to convince her. I just hope I can do it soon. I am going to take Rosie for her VHD jab next week so I will ask mum to come along and maybe the vet can help to educate her :D

And I pay for the vets but mum sometimes helps put money towards it if I don't have enough as I only get a small set amount each Friday that I usually try to save up. She knows I can care for the animals, she always says I am spoiling them as they are 'Only a rabbit' or 'only a guinea pig' but she knows I can take good care of them and I spend all my time and money making sure they have food, bedding, toys, proper living spaces etc

Last edited:
When she gives her reasons for saying no make sure you really hear and make sure knows you really hear, and then have an adult discussion with her based on those points. Luvabun is right :)

I guess you are right lol
I will keep trying to convince her. I just hope I can do it soon. I am going to take Rosie for her VHD jab next week so I will ask mum to come along and maybe the vet can help to educate her :D

And I pay for the vets but mum sometimes helps put money towards it if I don't have enough as I only get a small set amount each Friday that I usually try to save up. She knows I can care for the animals, she always says I am spoiling them as they are 'Only a rabbit' or 'only a guinea pig' but she knows I can take good care of them and I spend all my time and money making sure they have food, bedding, toys, proper living spaces etc

Perhaps you should look at insurance for Rosie, and budget for insurance for the a new bun too then you can categorically say to your mum that all vets bills are covered and all you have to worry about is extra food and time?

I've just insured Sweep @ £7 per month and when we get him a wife it should go up to about £12, so doesn't really break the bank ;)

Unfortunately, I believe that if you live under someone else's roof (even parents) their word goes, and you can't go against it.

I agree with what someone said tho, sit her down and explain, in an adult mature way, why you want another and your reasons behind it.

Hope you sort it out :)

Perhaps you should look at insurance for Rosie, and budget for insurance for the a new bun too then you can categorically say to your mum that all vets bills are covered and all you have to worry about is extra food and time?

I've just insured Sweep @ £7 per month and when we get him a wife it should go up to about £12, so doesn't really break the bank ;)

Yeah I have been thinking about insurance but I read a thread and everyone said their insurance was like £20 + and I can't afford that. Who are you with they seem quite cheap :)

Yeah I have been thinking about insurance but I read a thread and everyone said their insurance was like £20 + and I can't afford that. Who are you with they seem quite cheap :)

Mine is the 'Lifetime' cover from P@H, they give a discount for multiple bunnies hence £12 for two :D

To be honest Petplan are more expensive but do have a bigger claim limit and a smaller excess, but I got a quote of £22 for 2 buns and personally didn't think it was worth another £10 per month (£120 pa) for another £500 of cover. But, it depends whether you think you're ever going to use it so it's all a big gamble really ;) Sweep has been very healthy up until now so fingers crossed he will be ok :thumb:

Also, if anything were to happen to him, I don't have the extra stress on wondering how much the vet bills will be and if I could afford them, as well as the stress of him being ill :thumb:

petplan offer a m,ulti pet discount too, if you where allowed a new rabbit, it costs about £9 odd to insure one bunny

I get £55 a week from carers allowance to work with. I use that to buy everything for the animals and to live off for the week so £22 might be a bit much :? it depends if I can acquire more money. I would be able to afford £12 though so I will have a look :)

I have a single bunny too, and know it isn't ideal. My parents made a big concession in letting me have Spenser, and one of the main reasons I haven't yet got him a friend is that if a bond didn't work out I don't think they would be keen on me taking over more of their house and garden with bunny accomodation.

In the meantime, maybe you could look into other ways of providing enrichment for Rosie. I know you already sccatter-feed her pellets, but there may be other ways you could help her fill her time.

Yeah scattering her pellets seems to do a good job at keeping her occupied. I bought her some tastey herbs and carrot tops today which she loved. But not sure what else I can do :( I would bring her inside but it is too warm for her in here. I have a few loo rolls waiting to be used. Do you think stuffing one with hay and stuff would help? It is hard trying to find stuff to enrich her when she doesn't feel like playing with them :/

Yeah scattering her pellets seems to do a good job at keeping her occupied. I bought her some tastey herbs and carrot tops today which she loved. But not sure what else I can do :( I would bring her inside but it is too warm for her in here. I have a few loo rolls waiting to be used. Do you think stuffing one with hay and stuff would help? It is hard trying to find stuff to enrich her when she doesn't feel like playing with them :/

Yes, stuffed loo rolls are a good idea. You can also cut them into rings and make a ball with a little treat inside. There is a thread on here about them. I will try to find you a link. :wave:

Edit, here it is!

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...t-toy-making-and-enrichment-activities./page2

I have a single bunny too, and know it isn't ideal. My parents made a big concession in letting me have Spenser, and one of the main reasons I haven't yet got him a friend is that if a bond didn't work out I don't think they would be keen on me taking over more of their house and garden with bunny accomodation.

In the meantime, maybe you could look into other ways of providing enrichment for Rosie. I know you already sccatter-feed her pellets, but there may be other ways you could help her fill her time.

I know this isn't your thread but are there options for rescues around you? If there are then potentially they would take back a bunny if the bond didn't work which might remove that issue?

Sounds like she might be very lonely and needs company. Rabbits are social creatures. If you can't get her a friend or take her inside then can you spend a lot more time playing with and petting her until the weather warms up and you can take her in or you can convince your mom to get a pal for her? Some rabbits are fine with human company but it is hard to give them enough if they live outside.

Sounds like she might be very lonely and needs company. Rabbits are social creatures. If you can't get her a friend or take her inside then can you spend a lot more time playing with and petting her until the weather warms up and you can take her in or you can convince your mom to get a pal for her? Some rabbits are fine with human company but it is hard to give them enough if they live outside.

She isn't a very cuddly bunny and I can only just give her a little nose rub before she hops off :roll: I tend to sit next to her hutch and talk to her and stuff but it is sooo cold at the moment I can only sit out there for 5 minutes before I have to warm myself up again

Back