• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snotty Nose

wendle

Warren Veteran
Hi all just wondered if anyone could give me any ideas as to why my bunny keeps having sneezing bouts on an off not constantly she's been goin to the vets over 12months now with this as soon as the vet clears the scab off her nose and puts her on baytril and I apply fuciderm on her sore nose (after having the scab removed) she's fine for a few weeks , she's been on piriton for about a month now and she's been fine but this last week it's started again so another trip to the vets tomorrow, other than this she's great eating drinking no problem 

When she sneezes the bit of snot that comes out bits of hay gets stuck on it if I don't get to wipe it before hand and it makes a little hard ball on her nose , she's had all blood tests done nothing bad came back all was normal 

Hmm. A culture and sensitivity test is not a blood test it's a swab of the discharge and basically it's worked out if there is an infection, and if so what, and what antibiotics are best used to beat it.

Has she had a skull x-ray?

It seems that clearly Baytril is not working for her to help her beat it if it is an infection, so looking for something more appropriate, and a longer course of it, might be useful. Is she on Metacam to help reduce any inflammation? Have you discussed nebulising with the vets?

I'm taking her back tomorrow to the vets she's been going for over 12months now with it 

 and I will definitely ask the vet tomorrow about the culture and skull xray 

This sounds exactly like what Grim had. I called them nose plugs. Does she get discharge that hardens in the nostril?
Grim has snuffles and is on two antibiotics, probably for life. I cured the nose plugs by nebulising him. I put him in a carrier, covered with a towel and used a saline solution in the nebuliser and just poked the end into the carrier. I 'steamed' him for 15 - 20 minutes every day. If a plug started to form the nebulisation softened it and I could ease it off. After a few weeks they stopped coming back.

Back