• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pebbles not eating or moving around :( really worried!

kt6382

Warren Scout
Oh :( I really on't know what to do... Pebbles was absolutely fine yesterday but then I've gone out this morning and he's not eating and not moving around much. He can move about because move from one place to another to sit still. Really worried, dont know what to do. It's Sunday and I'm supposed to be going out in a minute (well actually an hour ago) but just so worried something is wrong.

He scoffed dinner down last night as usual at about 10:30... Pellets and hay and little bit of carrot. But this morning I can't even tempt him with carrot or fresh grass. He feels slightly shaky to the touch ut I don't want to pick him up incase he's hurt :(

What should I do? or should I wait and see what he's like later?

Personally I woul take him to a emergency vet and in the meantime try him with anything basil coriander syringe feed him liquidised pellets , but the vets is a must asap 

If he's refusing to eat, it's serious. He has either hurt himself or has a gut or tooth problem.
Can you tell if he's pooped?

If he were my bunny, I would be ringing the vets. It sounds as if he's in pain.

Thanks everybody for your concern. Haven't been online because I did decide to ring the vets stright away. Luckily they were open until 1 so got an appointment straight away. Vet has checked everything over, temperature, stomach / gut movement, nails, weight and teeth. He found two tiny spurs on his back teeth but said he qwould be surprised if that was the problem as they were so small. He gave him an anti inflammatry jab and just said to watch to see whether he is eating and pooing tonight. Managed to get him to eat a bit of fresh grass and waiting to watch him (hopefully) scoff his dinner tonight! I'm out at the moment and keep worrying about him as I'm not home until late :( even though he seemed to be eating when I left. Can't help but worry :(

Also, although the vet seemed happy that Pebbles was ok I'm a bit worried now about these teeth spurs. Pebbles has the right diet and eats lots of fresh grass and hay. How am I supposed to prevent the spurs from growing? :( I'm a bit of a worrier! especially when it comes to the buns!!!!!

Glad you got an appointment. :thumb:

Sending vibes that Pebbles is OK while you are out. A good diet (lots of hay!) is the key to keeping spurs down. Some bunnies will stop eating for even the tiniest of spurs, so if he doesn't pick up quickly I would take him back to the vet.

Glad you got an appointment. :thumb:

Sending vibes that Pebbles is OK while you are out. A good diet (lots of hay!) is the key to keeping spurs down. Some bunnies will stop eating for even the tiniest of spurs, so if he doesn't pick up quickly I would take him back to the vet.

They do eat lots of hay, and very few pellets or veg. They are on grass 24/7 so can eat as much as they want / need. I'm not sure how I can increase their hay intake? I give them fresh hay in the morning and the evening and the day at weekends... they eat most of it but do leave some to use as bedding to snuggle up in. They share two handfuls of pellets per evening and some small bits of veg eg carrot peelings or broclli stalks.

Heading home in a bit, really worried about him so can';t wait to get home and give them their dins, hoping he'll be back to scoffing it down!

But still goning to be worried about those spurs now.... the vet said he wouldn't operate on one;s as small as his because it wpould tramatise the rabbit more than the benefit of taking them off. I don't understand how he has got spurs when his diet is ok?

Thanks for all your comments :) Fingers crossed for my Pebbles x

It sounds like your buns have a really good diet, but unfortunately spurs can occur even in rabbits who eat a lot of hay. I believe some breeds are more prone to them than others. Hopefully you'll find him eating and well when you return home.

It sounds like your buns have a really good diet, but unfortunately spurs can occur even in rabbits who eat a lot of hay. I believe some breeds are more prone to them than others. Hopefully you'll find him eating and well when you return home.

Mine are some kind of mini lop cross. I've had them since they were about 12 weeks old so know they're history. I fed them hay and pellets and grass to start with but then started to ween off the pellets when they were old enough and I read about pellets on here. I try to get them to eat as much hay as possible alonmg with their grass. Do spurs just grow anyway? Can I stop them from growing by keeping up a good diet? or will they grow anyway? Even if he's better when I'm home tonight and tomorrow I'm worried about these spurs now :( Poor Pebbles :(

My rabbit has had spurs spotted on his back teeth, but like your vet ours didn't think they were anywhere near causing him trouble.

It sounds as though you are doing everything possible to keep their diet right. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will come along to advise, but I believe that breeds with rounder faces like the minilop and netherland dwarf can develop problems becuase of their teeth getting a bit squashed. I'm sure your vet would have said so had this been the case with Pebbles.

Try not to panic though - if Pebbles still isn't right take him back to the vet as soon as possible, but hopefully he has just been a bit off this morning and you'll find him well again.

I have a similar problem with one of my buns (a lionhead/nethie cross) who eats lots of hay but still develops teeth spurs.. It's just going to be a case of getting them checked regularly and spotting the minute that they start to cause a problem so they can be treated as quickly as possible.

Sometimes even a fantastic diet isn't enough to prevent molar spurs as the teeth themselves may not be properly aligned and so they don't wear down evenly. Bubbles has needed a few dentals in the last 3 years, despite having had a mainly hay diet since at least 8 weeks of age so her problems are genetic rather than diet related. :(

Bunnies vary in sensitivity and sometimes the smallest spurs can be enough to stop them eating - this has happened to Bubbles a couple of times now. The first time, the vet was quite surprised that the spurs were bothering her as they were tiny so I wouldn't completely rule this out as a possibility for Pebbles.

My rabbit has had spurs spotted on his back teeth, but like your vet ours didn't think they were anywhere near causing him trouble.

It sounds as though you are doing everything possible to keep their diet right. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will come along to advise, but I believe that breeds with rounder faces like the minilop and netherland dwarf can develop problems becuase of their teeth getting a bit squashed. I'm sure your vet would have said so had this been the case with Pebbles.

Try not to panic though - if Pebbles still isn't right take him back to the vet as soon as possible, but hopefully he has just been a bit off this morning and you'll find him well again.

Sometimes even a fantastic diet isn't enough to prevent molar spurs as the teeth themselves may not be properly aligned and so they don't wear down evenly. Bubbles has needed a few dentals in the last 3 years, despite having had a mainly hay diet since at least 8 weeks of age so her problems are genetic rather than diet related. :(

Bunnies vary in sensitivity and sometimes the smallest spurs can be enough to stop them eating - this has happened to Bubbles a couple of times now. The first time, the vet was quite surprised that the spurs were bothering her as they were tiny so I wouldn't completely rule this out as a possibility for Pebbles.

Hi, are you guys still online? Is anyone still onlie for some support / advice?!! please...

I've just got home and was convinced that Pebbles would be desparate for his dinner as usual after munching just that tiny bit of hay at lunchtime. But I have got home and he seems worse than earlier :( I've tried him on carrot, pellets, hay, grass and brussel sprout and rocket.. I don't have anything left to try but he just keeps turning his head away :( and he is hardly moving at all, kind of flops down and lies there until he gets cross with me waving food under his nose. WHAT SHOULD I DO? Please advise me?? Should I be trying to force him to eat something? Is there something I could mush up? Sandy is still fine and scoffing anything that I try and get PEbbles to eat.

Please HELP! I'm so worried I'm sitting here in tears which isn't helping at all :(

It's 11pm here so doubt there's any vets I can get to, but I'm worried the morning may be too late :(

I think Pebbles needs to go back to the vet. :( He needs gut motility drugs, and a blockage needs to be ruled out before you can try syringe feeding. If you call your vet's usual number there should be a recorded message with the number for the out of hours vet. Good luck xx

I think Pebbles needs to go back to the vet. :( He needs gut motility drugs, and a blockage needs to be ruled out before you can try syringe feeding. If you call your vet's usual number there should be a recorded message with the number for the out of hours vet. Good luck xx

He had an anti inflammatry injection earlier and when I got back from the vets (about 1pm today) he had a tiny bit of grass and some carrot to eat. I reall thought he'd be ok by the timme I got home tonight but he's not :(

I can't tell if he's poo-ing or not as he's in with Sandy too. He doesn't have a messy bum though. He's not really moving and keeps lying down. I could try an emergency vets number but what do I do? Just take ther advice? It's 11pm and I'm a long way from a vets :( Is ther anything I can do? Is tomorrow morning too late???
thanks for your quick reply... I hope you're still there!

He had an anti inflammatry injection earlier and when I got back from the vets (about 1pm today) he had a tiny bit of grass and some carrot to eat. I reall thought he'd be ok by the timme I got home tonight but he's not :(

I can't tell if he's poo-ing or not as he's in with Sandy too. He doesn't have a messy bum though. He's not really moving and keeps lying down. I could try an emergency vets number but what do I do? Just take ther advice? It's 11pm and I'm a long way from a vets :( Is ther anything I can do? Is tomorrow morning too late???
thanks for your quick reply... I hope you're still there!

That sounds like it could be gas :( Tomorrow morning could be too late. Is there someone who could drive you to the vets? Or a taxi?

That sounds like it could be gas :( Tomorrow morning could be too late. Is there someone who could drive you to the vets? Or a taxi?

Right, I will go out again and see if I can get him to eat or drink anything... then I better get on the phone to a vet... just ope I get one that's knows about rabbits. I hope ut's not serious and that I'm just being stupid, but everything Ive read on here suggests that it's serious :(

Do you know if he's had pain relief? If you phone your normal vet they should have an answer phone message with details of an emergency vet on there that you can ring. They might be able to arise you over the phone or recommend seeing a vet.

Not eating and being lethargic are big signs that something is up so if he was my rabbit I'd be getting him to an emergency vet. :(

ETA: Has he drunk anything? Sometimes we find with Smudge syringing a little bit of water helps to get him feeling better. Also encouraging him to move around sometimes helps too.

Do you know if he's had pain relief? If you phone your normal vet they should have an answer phone message with details of an emergency vet on there that you can ring. They might be able to arise you over the phone or recommend seeing a vet.

Not eating and being lethargic are big signs that something is up so if he was my rabbit I'd be getting him to an emergency vet. :(

ETA: Has he drunk anything? Sometimes we find with Smudge syringing a little bit of water helps to get him feeling better. Also encouraging him to move around sometimes helps too.

Ok, going to try and phone the vet now. HAve just managed to get Pebbles to eat a tiny tiny bit of mashed apple, tried to syringe some water but think I am just squirting it on him and he keeps tryin gto move backwards to get out of the way. Sandy just keeps barging in and eating everything! If I need to take Pebbles back to the vet should I take Sandy too? and should they keep Sandy in with Pebbles if he has to be kept in? What if the vet is not a rabbit expert and just tells me it'llbe fine??

Will you still be online in a minute?

Back