• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quick question about mounting and fur pulling...

Pix

Warren Scout
Is this normal in bonded rabbits?

My two have been bonded since August. The bond went fine, she can be a bit bossy and tries to mount him a bit, but i was ressured that this was regular bun behaviour. However, over the last couple of weeks the mounting and fur pulling has increased. They're clearly loved up and I don't want to separate them if it's not necessary, but I don't want him getting hurt!

Please advise?

That's very normal behaviour, especially with breeding season happening at the moment. You just need to watch both their behaviours to ensure they are coping ok with it.

Which side of it is he that you're concerned he might get hurt? As the humpee?

Yes, as the humpee. He's very passive, so I'm not really worried he'll fight back, but with it being as cold as it has been I'm sure he could do with some of these clumps of fluff she keeps removing from him!

Whenever I notice it happening I pick her up off him and relocate her elsewhere in their shed and give him a bit of a fuss, but he trots straight over to be next to her again or even shoves his head under her - which when she's in a humpy mood never seems like the best idea.

But I can't be there all the time. And they'd be lost without each other. But it does feel like bullying from her. Plus it's normally head-mounting which I know is bad with boy-bunnies - I presume the same considerations aren't a problem with girl-bunnies...

Sorry, missed this yesterday.

Yes. She's spayed. He's neutered. Since last June-July.

We rebonded In August once the wounds had healed (she had complications) and once the hormones had died down.

She has always been the dominant one.

It's just causing problems at the moment. My mr can't understand that it's rabbity behaviour and is getting very angry with her for beating the boybun up. I've tried telling him that it's not entirely her. He will literally bury beneath her until he's in prime humping position and will just wait for her to hump him/get told off!

I just hope it dies down soon. I don't really like this bit of bunny behaviour. I wish they'd just get back to emptying all the hay out of their hutch and scattering it everywhere - that was better!

It's very sad that your OH can't understand she speaks a different language and is just speaking it.

I would say that if your boy bunny is not bothered then don't worry about it. Only worry if he is starting to get stressed or if she injures him in some way.

Back