• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help!!!

audrinasmommy

Young Bun
Olivia is a 1 year old rex. Tonight she was doing a DBF and I noticed a spot on her hind leg. So I picked her up to check it further and she has the same spot on both hind legs. It is red and irritated looking. She has been licking at it. I took a picture. Its not the greatest quality because it's really hard to get her to sit still. Please help! I dont know what to do. Heres the link to the picture
http://s1097.photobucket.com/albums/g351/audrinasmommy88/?action=view&current=tn.jpg

That is he early signs of a common problem in Rex Rabbits-Sore Hocks

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/sorehocks.htm

Things like hard surfaces (wood floor/lino) and carpet exacerbate the problem. So you may need to consider how you can change her living arrangements if necessary.

Keeping her weight down and her toe nails clipped short will also help. At the stage she is at now I dont think applying any creams etc would be a good idea as this can just flatten the surrounding fur and thus reduce protection even more.

As she is only 1 and the problem is becoming evident it is very likely to be something that needs life-long management. This is possible, one of my Rexes, Miss Bunny Penny,showed her first signs of sore hocks at the age of one. She has needed lifelong management of the condition. Miss Bunny Penny is now aged 11 :)

Thanks for your reply. I don't understand what's causing this because I HAVE to keep her nails trimmed because she has 2 that like to curl under. The vet is going to be removing those 2 when she has her appointment to be spayed. And she doesn't live on hard surfaces. She even has a fleece blanket to sleep on. Her bedding is that recycled paper stuff. The bottom of her cage isn't wire either. So, with all that said, what else can I do? I'm so scared this is going to turn into a big problem. I've been reading about these horror stories of sore hocks and I don't want that to happen to her

Back