• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bluebelll is now officiallly berties bodyguard..esp since vets this morning

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
since berties last in stay at the vets bluebells become more and more possessive of him...but much more like shes guarding him rather than being plain territorial. Even the vets and nurses commented on it when they were in there.

when i medicate him twice a day she rushes up sniffs each lot and is at knuckle tip with each syringe and she gets up ready for when the ear drops go in.

yes there are some times i think shes going to bite me....as she thinks im hurting him or making him stress...but so far so good.
I always talk to her to let her know what im doing...i talk to her and bertie...when berties being a bad bunny and refusing his meds and i have to be strict with him hold him down a bit etc she goes nuts.
I do my best but she freaks out. I always give him a treat when hes had his meds...and she knows she gets one too.

Then she settles down. And i can touch him ie stroking him etc as long as i stroke her too:lol:

yesterday he got pretty snuffly and has been sneezing a fair old bit....i should have taken him yesterday but with a lot of things re my very ill elderly mum i thought well he hasnt got worse ill take him in morning.
so i took him this morning....i told receptionist that bertie needed an alomycin injection for his snuffly congested nose.

i left bluebell at home and took him on his own. It was less stressful for him worrying about her i think...but other times i make sure shes with. So she had a lot of fusses from nikki.

vet gave bertie a jab..left me two to get someone to come and do at home rather than stress him out....and he then has to see vet to decide if he needs a long course. So i took him home....made a fuss of bluebell.....who has sat up to cover him and protect him from me since i got in.:oops:

id had 3 to 4hrs disturbed sleep...nikki couldnt get back upstairs so stayed downstairs till i went to vets....she dragged herself up slowly..m.e/fibros such a pain literally:(

got back exhausted and feeling very odd....bertie didnt eat his treat with epilepsy pill in till after midday:shock:

bluebells been washing him...hes been washing her till she falls into a deep sleep.

my niece dropped off the bag of james wellbeloved i paid her to get whilst she was shopping them sitting with my mum and her mum and her brother ben. Oddly enough bluebell let her stroke her and indeed laid down to get confy nosey and cheeky rubs:shock::shock: only outsider shes done that with is karen!! (rhianna)

i told bluebell its ok..im not trying to hurt him im trying to help him..fussed her nose gave her a treat and went to lie down for a few hrs.

im trying to read her body language changes...but i ust know im going to slip up by being too slow...and end up down casualty after being svaged ferciously...by....bluebell bunny!!

how do other bunny mummys cope with this? am i doing enough? Advice please!

Hi Debbie :wave: Awww hun you are doing everything you possibly can for both of them. I'm so glad Bertie bun is doing okay. I'm not sure what to suggest with Bluebell. She is one nutty wabbit. Beatrix drives me nuts somtimes but she is not as bad as Bluebell. It sounds like you are doing everything you can. Letting her feel in control by sniffing and inspecting the medincines and talking to them telling them what you are doing.

Nosey rubs to Bertie and Bluebell (if she lets you) and big ((((hugs)))))) for you xxxx

I'm bumping this for you, I don't know the answer but they sound very sweet. It's really hard that they can't understand you're doing things to them to help them. My bunnies bond is damaged at the moment and we've had to separate them, it's all very sad :cry:. I hope Ted and Rosie get back together and look after each other like yours :)

:shock: Ooooooh Bluebell is a excellent bodyguard. Have you put a sign on the door ;) Sounds lovely and amazing how bunnies rally around for each other.

Glad to hear Bertie is doing ok. Give them a nose rub from me. :love:

Back