• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

cecotropes ? too many?

Lea-Anne

Warren Veteran
Can a rabbit do 'too many' ? Vince always seems to have them in 'trails' left about...:? We asked our vet and she gave him a thorough health check and he did a normal poo right there and then ( large and golden) and said ' well that looks like the ideal rabbit poo. ' :lol:

We have held off his veg and he gets a tiny amount of pellets and tons of hay. He has a small bowl of porridge in the evening. Could it be this?

Any comments greatly received :thumb:

How much porridge is there in the small bowl? I would say its almost certainly that, it's not really a natural part of bunny diet so completely the wrong balance of nutrients for a healthy bun. Is there a particular reason he is needing the porridge, is it because you feel it will help to keep him warm or because he needs to put on weight, for instance?

Personally I would only feed up to a teaspoonful of porridge made with water daily if he really needs it, I would definitely cut way back from a bowlful as it's just not going to be good for him in the long term. Good luck x

How much porridge is there in the small bowl? I would say its almost certainly that, it's not really a natural part of bunny diet so completely the wrong balance of nutrients for a healthy bun. Is there a particular reason he is needing the porridge, is it because you feel it will help to keep him warm or because he needs to put on weight, for instance?

Personally I would only feed up to a teaspoonful of porridge made with water daily if he really needs it, I would definitely cut way back from a bowlful as it's just not going to be good for him in the long term. Good luck x

Thanks hun. He was really sickily as a youngster - had a bad start in life (siblings died from cocci and he came to us with snuffles). He was major underweight ( less than a kg) so we were feeding him up. He loves his porridge now but yes probably should be cutting back as he's perfectly healthy now :oops:

I'd guess porridge is the culprit too. Ideally you shouldn't see any caecotrophs - of my 11 rabbits there are 7 from whom I've never seen a caecotroph.

There shouldn't be any need to hold back a healthy selection of green leafy veggies, along with a decent measure of a quality pellet like A&P or SS

I'd guess porridge is the culprit too. Ideally you shouldn't see any caecotrophs - of my 11 rabbits there are 7 from whom I've never seen a caecotroph.

There shouldn't be any need to hold back a healthy selection of green leafy veggies, along with a decent measure of a quality pellet like A&P or SS

Thanks BB Mommy. Porridge is no longer on the menu. Will slowly add greens. Already feeding A&P.

Back