• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Accommodation recomendations for med/large boy?

wildchild91

Young Bun
I'm wanting to get a hutch sorted asap so when I find the perfect hubby for my bun, I can get straight underway with the homechecks and hopefully adoption! I know I'm looking for a medium to large sized male, I have currently got my eye on a few, the largest one being a new zealand white, so im thinking if I accomodate for him, hes the biggest I'd probably go for so I should be safe housing wise!

My set up is half a double garage for them. No idea how to estimate the size but the garage used to be able to fit two large cars comfortably in it until I took over and had a big double gate built halfway down :D

the bunny portion of the garage has one hutch, an array of toys, tunnels, stools etc and at the moment, a set of old dining furnature which Mollie has great fun crawling under. There is also a single door (weather dependant on whether its open or not) which leads out into the garden which I have also claimed in its entirity as bunny terratory.

Her hutch is probably just about 5ft long, and has a good high roof on it, shes a german lop and cant reach the roof without standing on her very tippy toes. Her and billy used to share this hutch, I know its not the full required size for two, BUT Billy panicked and got very upset when shut in a hutch and as the garage is secure I didnt see the point in shutting them in...being more active at night they used it more as an open base to come and go as they pleased...

Another hutchwise, Im not sure whether I can get away with the same size hutch as Mollie has or whether he'll need a bigger one?

Suggestions?

I'm not being stingey for selfish reasons btw, Im being stingey because I'd like to have room for another hutch so I could offer fostering on an emergency basis...obviously I dont want this to be at the expense of my own pair though ;)

i think most rescues will consider the total space of their enclosure and not just the hutch so you should be fine if they have a nice big area, after all a house bunny wouldn't necessarily have a minimum requirements hutch.

Yep, definitely total space which is the deal breaker. You need to find out what your chosen rescue requires then see if your space matches it. Sounds like it would though.

The only issues I can potentially see is if the garage is still used for cars. If it is then it won't be suitable for sharing with rabbits due to fumes.

Back