• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Doing 'stuff' to bunnies. Do you get anxious after?

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I'm talking things like sub cutaneous fluids, injections, or, glucose levels, things like that.

I always, always get really anxious afterwards in case whatever happens (normally that I have injected into the wrong place, or haven't been careful enough with sterility, etc).

I do totally follow what my vet says and have never, so far, had a problem, but still get very anxious.

I just did Autumn's first glucose level test (me and my vet discussed learning how to do it prior to needing to, and also to give us a baseline figure for when we test when he does actually need it) and was so careful with the needle and all of that but now I'm panicking he's going to get an infection in his blood stream. :roll:

Anyone else like me?

(on the otherhand, his blood level was spot on what it should be :thumb:)

I've never done anything more than trim their nails and cut out the odd bit of matted fur. I don't think I could even attempt the things you do, but if I did I'm sure I would worry like hell that I hadn't done it right! You're a very brave (and smart) lady!

I've never even managed to trim claws, well I did a couple but it was very anxiety-provoking, they are at the vets fairly frequently, so I just leave it to the expert :oops::oops:

As for the glucose levels *sighs*. I so want to do it, I don't think I'm squeemish as such I just find sticking the needle in soo, so hard :( I watched the vet who admitted Elijah taking his glucose level last week and she had to shave both ears, then had about three or four attempts at putting the needle in the vein before she got a decent sample. This is an experienced medical practitioner, what hope do I have? I suspect I will find the courage if I need to do it at 3am, so as not to wake the vet unnecessarily but I don't relish the idea.

I struggled to watch the vet remove Artie's stitches after his operation - he asked if I was able to hold Artie but I said I couldn't (I was worried about him shuffling), so a nurse came and held him, and for the first few I turned my back and felt sick - how useless am I? He was actually really calm and didn't flinch as all.

I really envy anyone who is really hands on. I'd love to have been able to be a vet nurse but there's just no chance of anything like that.

Re blood levels. I'm getting to be a very good at knowing what the the glucose reading levels will be within a point or two by observations now, without the blood sample. :?

Last edited:
Ive never had to do anything like that to anything other than horses. That was under supervision of a vet anyway. I do get a bit funny with needles though so I have to do it quick and not think about it :oops:

I am a bit of a paranoid person with things like that (and moreso having had an infection from hospital track up my arm) but I would certainly trust you to do it for me :thumb: so no need to worry!

I hated having to inject Mimi, it made both myself and OH so so anxious and upset :cry: I dont think I could do things like that regularly like you do.

I even get nervous about cutting their nails incase I injure them :oops:

That all rings a cord with me as that's exactly how I felt when I had to inject Mischa. And then we had that episode where he went all strange afterwards and I was convinced I'd done it in the wrong place. I still don't know what truely happened. I really don't think I could ever inject any of them now, it's just too much responsibility.

I think the more you do things the less stressful it becomes. I now actually feel better for being able to do things like SQ fluids, injections, bloods etc as I feel I am able to do something for the poorly Bunny, if you see what I mean ?

I think the more you do things the less stressful it becomes. I now actually feel better for being able to do things like SQ fluids, injections, bloods etc as I feel I am able to do something for the poorly Bunny, if you see what I mean ?

I'm very glad I can do it, so totally agree with that. I'm calm knowing I need to do it, and doing it (and it has been an actual literal lifesaver with Autumn) but afterwards when I think of what I did and his tiny life in my hands, that's when I panic. I wouldn't not do it though because if they need it, it gets done. :)

That all rings a cord with me as that's exactly how I felt when I had to inject Mischa. And then we had that episode where he went all strange afterwards and I was convinced I'd done it in the wrong place. I still don't know what truely happened. I really don't think I could ever inject any of them now, it's just too much responsibility.

I can relate a lot to this.

Before my Rosie died she had kidney failure and I was having to give her Sub Q injections. The day before she died I did one and I did it further down like my vet showed and she shuddered. She was PTS the next day and for 18 months I panicked that I had done something wrong. When I saw my vet give an injection into that area on a different bunny she did the same thing and I plucked up the courage to ask and he said that was normal. I spent 18 months panicking I had killed my Rosie and when I next had to do sub Qs which was on Autumn, I was all anxious and panicked.

I can see how this has lingered for me.

I feel like doctor death at the moment with both bunnies on penicillin injections. :?
I hate the fact that I have to do it, but i love the fact that I can. I have seen Grim go from a rabbit who would no move to get his food and had no life in him to what appears on the outside to be a happy and healthy bunny. Without me doing these injections he would not be here because I would not have let him live like that. Now he is so happy and full of life. And with Smoo, I thought I was going to loose her when two weeks after an operation to remove a jaw abscess another one had appeared. With the injections I have seen that abscess shrink away.

But I panic whenever I do them. What if I've got the wrong place? Or sometimes I put it in and I just can't squeeze the medicine out and I have to take it out and inject again. I feel awful for using them like a pin cushion. And then I have to check them for hours afterwards to make sure they're okay. But it's worth it for their health.

I think I know the feelings you are experiencing with administering medications. Like Jenova we had a rabbit who had recurring jaw abscesses for over two years and was kept on Depocillin every three days. Being a bit of a nerd I kept records of all 240 injections he had. There were occasions when the needle and the syringe separated spraying the Depocillin over his fur and other times when I went through both sides of the 'tent', completely missing the intended target in the scruff. A few times I drew blood which gave me a crisis of confidence. At those times I would go to a very understanding local vet (not the bunny's normal vet) who would do the injections for a few days and then would make me do them under his supervision to restore confidence. Because he had so many injections even vets would comment on how the skin had hardened to be like leather. As for anxiety, I have to admit to breaking out in a cold sweat at times, both before and after.

By far the worst experience for me was injecting antibiotics and fluids into a parrot who had pneumonia. It was my first time ever needing to inject any animal and I don't think I really understood the implications of making a mess of it. Fortunately I had an excellent patient and all went well. I do wonder though if I would be as confident now should the occasion be presented with our current parrot.

I wouldn't be too concerned with glucose testing causing any infection if a sterile needle is used. I have been doing that test on myself every day for about 6-7 years with no problem and don't take the precautions I would if it was for one of the rabbits.

The thing to keep in mind is we only perform these actions to benefit those who mean so much to us. We never willingly do anything to cause them pain or discomfort, even if they don't enjoy what we do. The alternative is to not administer what they need and leave them in totally discomfort and pain, or to cause them avoidable stress by bundling them up and taking them to a vet to perform the procedure. A small treat and a hug generally makes the pain go away from the patient very quickly. Our bunny vet whom I think loved our Liam almost as much as us would do the injection, rub the spot and lean down and give Liam a kiss on the head.

i always double check the meds but then get anxious after that i have accidently given the wrong thing or dose, even though i know i haven't. but it's so routine now that i sometimes feel like i go through the motions without thinking about it.

I'm very glad I can do it, so totally agree with that. I'm calm knowing I need to do it, and doing it (and it has been an actual literal lifesaver with Autumn) but afterwards when I think of what I did and his tiny life in my hands, that's when I panic. I wouldn't not do it though because if they need it, it gets done. :)

With glucose levels as Lobo says, with a sterile needle you can honestly forget the risk. I must have seen hundreds of diabetics doing regular blood levels & not a single infection from it -even local.

With subcut fluids the most important part by far is to get rid of any air in the needle & syringe before you inject as well as "sucking back". Even if a small amount of subcut fluid were to get into a vein - no harm done - that's what a drip is. I promise you you'd notice immediately that the pressure on the plunger felt wrong.

In humans we tell people the risks of these procedures, only to emphasise the importance of following the methods exactly. When done this way the risks are so vanishingly small you can forget about them.
I don't know whether reality would help? True his tiny life IS in your hands - BUT to do the glucose test or get the subcut fluids in. Once you've done that you've helped to save his tiny life. :D

Back