• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Brown discharce in nose?

Bellatrix18

Warren Scout
My 6 year old bun Mork has brown dried discharge in both nostrils. I haven't heard him sneeze or cough and he seems fine in himself but I was wondering if anyone had thoughts about what it could be.

Thanks

Is it possible the cold weather has made his nose damp (condensation from the warm breath air to the very cold air air) and then he has gone rummaging around in his hay so has got hay dust on his damp nose? I have a couple who do get like this but they don't have a respiratory issue.

If you're worried then a vet check is always sensible though :)

I've just been out and looked at him and it looks like it could be hay dust :roll: I'll take him in anyway but thanks so much. I was really starting to worry myself!
Hopefully he's just been snuffling around in his hay rack...

berties had this for a while now...he even gets dust off pellet food...and his allen and page pelets used to get stuck to and up his nostrils:shock: then the sneezing began and we realised it was an allergic reaction..the vet said to keep an eye..and a few motnhs later he sneezed out a massive heap of thick white snot onto the floor. That meant a nasal swab and hey presto pasturella...
but he may have had the allergy a long time before the pasturella hit..hes a frenchie and when he drinks from his dog bowl he tends to get wet chin and chest and nostrils.

sounds like condensation and dust form hay and food. Just keep an eye..and if it makes the nosrils cloggy ask vets advice...she may recomend antihistamines until the weather gets warmer.

then again...just wait till warmer weather and a less steamy breathing bunny!!

Back