• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The fox is back again - visit number 3 - page 57

suzibunbun

Mama Doe
I am sitting here not knowing what to do - I was woken by a big noise just now at 2am outside back under my bedroom window (thankfully it was open) I got up and looked out only to see a MASSIVE fox trying to get at my bunnies! I freaked and banged on my open window and thankfully scared him off and now I'm in a right state. I have been sitting outside in the garden in the cold in shock. I have brought these two in now and made them a makeshift home and run for the night in the conservatory - it was sooo awful :cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:
:( Do you think the fox could have broke in? Were the rabbits scared?

I dont know what to suggest except making it as secure as possible. I would probably keep them in the conservatory for a while myself :oops: I'd be too scared to put them out..

Don't know why I'm posting - just needed a friend to share this with. Patch and Blossom are in a very large Molly's mansion which is fairly secure in my opinion. They were petrified especially Blossom who was freaking out and trying to jump up the walls in the bedroom. All my other buns are outside too in double hutches with covers in their own fenced off bit. P and B are on the patio. It was horrible - I'm still shaking.

I know what you mean, same thing has happened to me before, except not with rabbits. I felt all shakey and odd for a little while. :(

I've had 2 bunnies pass away from illness which was devastating enough but if any of mine were savagely destroyed by a fox I think I would have a breakdown. I love my bunny family so very much - I would never get over it :cry::cry: I have never seen a fox up close either - this was the size of a fully grown golden retriever. It's so horrible.

suzibunbun!! Oh geez, you poor thing. I was going to text you yesterday to see if I can visit your bunny paradise again but I had my granddaughters here and was worn to a frazzle. You've got all those lovely bunnies, you must be a wreck right now. I can't offer any advice, just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you. I'm up and about if you need to text :)

Hi :wave::wave: I am a wreck - you're right! What a horrible horrible nightmare! My babies, Patch and Blossom live in that wonderful hutch you let me have. The fox was massive, like a dog it was awful! They are still located under my bedroom window so I heard the commotion. I am going to put extra mesh/metal over the front tomorrow as that's the only vulnerable bit - the rest is secure. My babies are in the conservatory right now settled - unlike me - the stress is awful x Thanks for your kind support xx

Oh wow! That does sound very scary for you and the buns. I think that you did the right thing bringing them into the conservatory. I am sure that you have most likely checked on the others. Are they calm? I and sending calming vibes for you and the buns.

The conservatory buns seem ok now - it's just me!! I was just having a lie down when I heard another noise - jumped up and looked out again but I think it was my two in the conservatory - so I am now stressed again and up :cry::cry::cry:

The conservatory buns seem ok now - it's just me!! I was just having a lie down when I heard another noise - jumped up and looked out again but I think it was my two in the conservatory - so I am now stressed again and up :cry::cry::cry:

Oh no! How aweful for you. I meant the other buns outside. Were they spooked by the fox too? Is there any possible way the fox can get to them? If not then could you sleep in the conservatory? That way you might beable to sleep better being with them. You wouldn't have to get up from worry whenever they make a noise. Just a thought to help you feel more comfortable.

I know how awful it feels...when i was a kid I lost a rabbit and a piggy to foxes...I thought they were secure, but at the time I didn't realise that foxes could open hutches or maul them through the wire panels. they can even pull of shed ship lap panels if they are determined enough. That's why I now have my 4 buns in the dining room during the colder months, and in the summer, they have a walk-in run with 2 layers of heavy duty weld mesh, and a weld mesh and corrugated plastic roof - even the shed has been re-inforced with an extra tongue-and-groove internal wall.. I am so paranoid. I have even had a big adult fox sitting on my patio at 7 O'clock in the morning just watching me!

Oh no! How aweful for you. I meant the other buns outside. Were they spooked by the fox too? Is there any possible way the fox can get to them? If not then could you sleep in the conservatory? That way you might beable to sleep better being with them. You wouldn't have to get up from worry whenever they make a noise. Just a thought to help you feel more comfortable.

The other outside buns all seemed unaffected - maybe he never noticed them. Just managed to grab an hours sleep on settee - no more jumping up again - couldn't go back upstairs - I needed to be nearer to them all.:cry:

Gosh what a terrifying night you've had :cry: Thank god your babies are ok :)

I know that there are ways of deterring foxes from your garden but Im not sure what they are off hand. Maybe start a thread with the title 'fox deterrents' and see what people come up with.

Maybe also cover the front of their hutch so that if foxy does come back they cant see him. The sight of a fox is extremely terrifying and stressful to a bun, as you have found out :cry:

Try and keep calm today and get some sleep when you can. Your little ones are safe because you acted so quickly :love:

Crikey Sue glad they are ok and safe. Im also scared now as Im not far from you. Could it have been a stray dog do you think?

How horrible for you!

The thing is as well, the fox will be back knowing that there is potential food there. And now it's freezing, they will be doing everything they can to get food.

A customer lost one of her chickens 3 weeks ago, hours before I was due to look after them. The 3 were kept free range during the day in the garden and she assured me no fox had ever got into their garden. Just an hour later, she rang me back - a fox had got one of the chickens!

Can't stress enough to people - especially those who have rabbits free range during the day that I've seen foxes at lunchtime, mid afternoon, all times while I've been driving round doing my petsitting. Sometimes they're on someone's driveway just looking at me. :shock:

Morning all! Just grabbed another hours sleep on settee. What an horrendous night - Kath it was definitely a fox, a b****y massive one as big as a dog, just watching my patio bunnies who were frantically scrabbling around petrified for their lives! If you remember my garden, noone can get in the back unless through my house, the back is surrounded by peoples houses and gardens that's why I like it - so secure. This fox had got over high fences in to mine, I saw him escape up and over my hutches at the back to get away. My babies are happily pottering in the conservatory right now - making a happy mess. I was so worried they might even have a heart attack it was so bad. Never again! I'm to B&Q this morning to get some more protection and fix it to their hutch :cry::cry:

How horrible for you!

The thing is as well, the fox will be back knowing that there is potential food there. And now it's freezing, they will be doing everything they can to get food.

A customer lost one of her chickens 3 weeks ago, hours before I was due to look after them. The 3 were kept free range during the day in the garden and she assured me no fox had ever got into their garden. Just an hour later, she rang me back - a fox had got one of the chickens!

Can't stress enough to people - especially those who have rabbits free range during the day that I've seen foxes at lunchtime, mid afternoon, all times while I've been driving round doing my petsitting. Sometimes they're on someone's driveway just looking at me. :shock:

Definitely NOT what I wanted to hear :cry::cry::cry:

You poor thing, how terrifying :cry::cry::cry: I'm so glad your lovely bunnies are all ok. I think reinforcing the hutches where you can and covering the fronts where you can is a really good idea then if the fox does come back your babies can't see it. Good luck with the DIY.

:cry::cry: Thanks Louise, a bit of extra DIY will be on the agenda today - I'll do anything I can for them - :love::love:

Patch and Blossom - safe thank the Lord xx

Back