• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lola Poorly!

Jupiter

Warren Scout
Poor Lola was a rescue bunny 3/4 years ago so not sure how old she is but she's really not well now. She's lost loads of weight in the last few weeks although still eating like an elephant! She has lost a lot of fur around her nose area, which I thought was mites so have been treating it as this and she has also started losing her balance. Been to vets tonight and he gave her anti biotics and painkillers (she's been grinding her teeth) but he doesn't hold out much hope for her over the weekend. Got to see how she goes on and take her back on Monday. He thinks it may just be old age. Any advice?? xx

Poor Lola was a rescue bunny 3/4 years ago so not sure how old she is but she's really not well now. She's lost loads of weight in the last few weeks although still eating like an elephant! She has lost a lot of fur around her nose area, which I thought was mites so have been treating it as this and she has also started losing her balance. Been to vets tonight and he gave her anti biotics and painkillers (she's been grinding her teeth) but he doesn't hold out much hope for her over the weekend. Got to see how she goes on and take her back on Monday. He thinks it may just be old age. Any advice?? xx

I would be asking for blood tests asap as it could be a number of things. I would never put it down to just old age. The mites indicate her immune system is struggling so it is very likely she has a major underlying problem.

If the vet is saying it is just old age see how she goes i would be wanting to see another vet straight away who can actually be bothered to find out what is causing her problems.

Best of luck for Lola and hope you can find a cause and help her x

Thank you - I have to say, the vet didn't really instil confidence in me. He said that although blood tests could be done on rabbits, nothing really much could be done for them???? Not like, say a cat or a dog which you could treat easily?

I have no doubt that she may be quite old for a rabbit - I have no real way of knowing, but I really don't want her to suffer at all - she has NEVER had to have a visit to the vets as long as I have had her and although not a particularly loving and friendly rabbit, I love her all the same! x

I guess he is right in so far as once you know the problem there isn't always as much you can do for a rabbit as you can for a dog or a cat. But until you get the results you don;t know it is nothing you can treat. Even if it is something that you ultimately can't treat just knowing what it is gives you the information you need to make sure she is comfortable for as long as possible and allows you to make the right decision when the time comes knowing all the facts.

I think getting a diagnosis where possible is very important. If we have a sick bunny we will always get a range of diagnostics done such as bloods, x-rays and ultra sound until we find the cause

I think this particular vet is rubbish - unfortunately, the other two, who are pretty good were not available. I have to take her back on Monday so hopefully one of the other ones will be there! I feel so bad like I should be able to do more for her. Rabbits get such a raw deal. x

I'm so sorry to hear about Lola, i'm sending lot's of vibes her way. I agree with Hugos There and think blood tests would be a good idea at least then you'll have all the info and it might make it easier for you to make a decision on what to do next. I really hope she picks up and please keep us updated on her progress. Rabbits really do get a raw deal I agree with you on that, poor little things I really hope more vets become rabbit savvy.xx

Lost her

Thank you everyone but sadly today had to have Lola PTS. She appeared to have lost the use of her back end, couldn't move about her hutch to get to her food etc and was just toileting where she was, think she might have had some kind of stroke. My poor love and as upset as I am I do feel it was the right decision for her as I didn't want her to suffer any more than necessary. Thanks again for your replies. XX

Thank you everyone but sadly today had to have Lola PTS. She appeared to have lost the use of her back end, couldn't move about her hutch to get to her food etc and was just toileting where she was, think she might have had some kind of stroke. My poor love and as upset as I am I do feel it was the right decision for her as I didn't want her to suffer any more than necessary. Thanks again for your replies. XX

Oh no I am so sorry xx

Back