• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What can bunnies catch from other animals?

Furry-Holic

Alpha Buck
I'm saving up to buy a rescue Hamster and 2 Guinea Pigs but was wondering if bunnies can catch any of their possible problems such as wetail in Hamsters and mange in Guinea Pigs etc.x

Mange is transmissable to all other animals I think but the majority of diseases are animal specific and don't cross infect. Wet tail is thought to be a bacterial infection by bugs that are commonly known to cause food poising in people too. Good hygeine can prevent this being passed on to you, I'm not sure how susceptible bunnies are to bacterial gut infections.

Mange is transmissable to all other animals I think but the majority of diseases are animal specific and don't cross infect. Wet tail is thought to be a bacterial infection by bugs that are commonly known to cause food poising in people too. Good hygeine can prevent this being passed on to you, I'm not sure how susceptible bunnies are to bacterial gut infections.

Thank you for this..I've heard of a lot of animals having mange likes Guineas, foxes etc so I did think that buns could probably get this too. I think Wetail probably is animal specific as I've never heard of any other animal, other than Hamsters, having it. Hmm it's very interesting and I just like to know in advance of all possibilites :D xx

Back