• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

To Vaccinate or not to Vaccinate????

ChelsieKae

Young Bun
HI,

Im chelsie, i live in the UK and adopted an 8week old mini lop a few days ago. His name is Kovu and hes just perfect!!

I thought vaccinations and neutering are the done thing and a requirement for my little man to have a long and healthly life, However the breeder from where i purchased Kovu said shed been breeding for 20 years and feels vaccinations and neutering are a scam and if anything will do more harm than good to my little bunny friend.

now i have mixed feelings about what to do, anyone want to share their oppinions?

much appreciated :)

Chels xx

I think that you err on the side of caution with neutering and vaccinations. I think your gut instinct was right about getting him done and sorted. They both potentially lead to a longer and happier life.

Often breeders are not the most reliable in giving the most uptodate advice or giving the best advice on what is best for the bunnies because they look from a different perspective from owners and rescues.

All 16 of mine are spayed/neutered and vaccinated :) I wouldn't be any other way unless there was a health reason where it was not appropriate to spay/neuter or vaccinate.

They are NOT a scam. Does not sound like a very well informed breeder.

Neutering cuts down cancer risks, allows them to be more relaxed and happy, allows them to be bonded with a friend and basically just gives them the chance to be themselves rather than being ruled by hormones.

Vaccinations obviously save lives. Myxi is not a nice death for a rabbit - and while a vaccinated rabbit can catch myxi it's a much less aggressive form and is treatable. An unvaccinated rabbit has no chance.
VHD cannot be treated, so unless the rabbit is vaccinated it is a killer.

He can be neutered as soon as his bits drop and the vets deem him fit enough for surgery. Some vets like to wait for a weight, some look at condition, some look for age.

He can be vaccinated for Myxomatosis from 6 weeks http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/MSD_Animal_Health/Nobivac_Myxo/-29531.html

There are three VHD vaccines, Cylap, Lapinject and Anivac. Anivac would be the most desirable, then Lapinject and lastly Cylap.

Lapinject- You can find information about Lapinject here http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Ceva_Animal_Health_Ltd/Lapinject_VHD/-42505.html (there is a menu down the left that tells more about the specific vaccine). This is a vaccine that generally has minimal side effects, unless a rabbit is very compromised in some way. The site says'For the active immunisation of rabbits to prevent mortality caused by viral haemorrhagic disease (VHD).
Onset of immunity: 6 days
Duration of immunity: 1 year'. It can be administered from 5 weeks http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Ceva_Animal_Health_Ltd/Lapinject_VHD/-42508.html

Anivac- You can find Information about Anivac here http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Ani...pension_for_Injection_for_Rabbits/-53396.html This is the most recently released vaccine (it's also what all 16 of mine have). It has shown to have minimal side effects. The site above also says 'For active immunisation of rabbits to prevent mortality caused by rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus. Onset of immunity: 7 days. Duration of immunity: 1 year based on field data without controlled challenge.' I can't find the Anivac info :?

Cylap- You can find Information about Cylap here http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Pfizer_Limited/Cylap/-44932.html This is the oldest vaccine. It also seems to produce the most side effects in rabbits who have been vaccinated with this. It also states 'For active immunisation to prevent clinical signs and mortality caused by rabbit viral haemorrhagic disease. The onset of immunity is at 21 days after vaccination and the duration of immunity is of 12 months.' My rabbits used to have half doses of this until they went onto Anivac. This can be administered from 10 weeks of age http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Pfizer_Limited/Cylap/-44935.html

You're welcome :)

You should really though, it is the forum law that we need to see photos of your cute bunny :D ;)

Last edited:
photo1.jpg
[/IMG]

Awwwww he is delicious!! :love::love::love:

I agree with everyone else re. neutering and vaccinations. They really are very important and not a scam in the slightest. The breeder sounds very ill informed, its a real shame for the rabbits in her care.

anything else we might help with as the breeder seems to be giving some very peculiar advice???

Diet, bonding, companionship? and (very very importantly) locating a rabbit savvy vet (many are not very well trained or experienced in rabbits who are regarded as an 'exotic' species!!)

Just to add to the vote to neuter - aside from the benefits to the rabbit there are benefits for you! Little boy rabbits have very smelly wee when they become sexually mature and if they really like you then they sometimes spray you with it as a :shock: sign of affection! They also spray their territory and that lovely rug will start to become rather ripe ;)!

Vaccinations are a must, Adele (my house rabbit) hasn't been outside since the summer yet caught myxi in January and thanks to her vaccinations she survived! I think the cat may have brought in some fleas from a sick rabbit or a mosquito flew in. VHD is completely prevented by vaccinations.

Caz

Back