• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

For those who use Megazorb for indoor bunnies, question..

*Red*

Mama Doe
Hello, just wondered, do you think you can get away with cleaning out litter trays just once a day with Megazorb? I currently use newspaper which is okay, but once it's wet, it's rubbish and there's only so much it can absorb!

I've been meaning to get some megazorb ordered for a while now, I clean out the girls (and currently Mickey's) littertrays every morning and when I get in from work.. just wondered if it might save time...?

I use it for outdoor bunnies, but I've always thought it might have a little too much dust (not much mind) for indoors. I find it very easy to spot clean though and absorbent too.

I use it in my litter trays & only clean them out once a day before I go to bed,but I guess it depends on how many buns use it & how often they wee!:lol:It does get trodden around alot as it sticks to B's fur but then all litters do this.I would never change from it now.

This might sound like a dumb thing to say :oops: but have you tried using a thicker wodge of newspaper in the trays? All my litter trays have approx 5-7 whole newspapers in the bottom & I make sure they line the sides too. I clean out twice a day (but that's mostly because I have 5 foster buns in one place) but only the top layers get wet and so it's very quick & easy to replace i.e. I don't need to spray/wipe start from scratch each time :wave: You should be able to clean out once a day or every other really :D

I used to use it indoors but Nutmeg started to dig in it so I switched to newspaper. I change the lops box every day and the lionheads every other day, with megazorb I found I could get another day out it.

This might sound like a dumb thing to say :oops: but have you tried using a thicker wodge of newspaper in the trays? All my litter trays have approx 5-7 whole newspapers in the bottom & I make sure they line the sides too. I clean out twice a day (but that's mostly because I have 5 foster buns in one place) but only the top layers get wet and so it's very quick & easy to replace i.e. I don't need to spray/wipe start from scratch each time :wave: You should be able to clean out once a day or every other really :D

This too. I use two whole newspapers with the lops and one whole one for the lionheads. It's cooler in the lionheads room so they don't drink so much water. :)

Wow Graham that's pretty good going! Jill, I do use a fair bit, but I still end up doing twice a day :?

We're just looking into little ways of saving some time, if I keep two set ups...

If I only had to clean out the trays once a day, I can do one set up of a morning and one of a night rather than two morning and night.

BTW: I now put used (wet) newspaper in the paper recycling bin now :shock: I checked & was told that it was ok! So long as it doesn't have poo stuck to it I put it in, saved me no end of space in the bins & trips to the tip!

Wow Graham that's pretty good going! Jill, I do use a fair bit, but I still end up doing twice a day :?

We're just looking into little ways of saving some time, if I keep two set ups...

If I only had to clean out the trays once a day, I can do one set up of a morning and one of a night rather than two morning and night.

Ahem :? Jill?! :lol:

Maybe you've just got into a habit and they don't actually NEED cleaning out twice a day? This is an easy thing to do, especially if you like everything 'just so'...obviously I'm NOT like that at all *whistles and looks around innocently whilst preparing to clean the buns run out for the 2nd time this morning*

:lol:

BTW: I now put used (wet) newspaper in the paper recycling bin now :shock: I checked & was told that it was ok! So long as it doesn't have poo stuck to it I put it in, saved me no end of space in the bins & trips to the tip!

We put ours in the compost but we normally pick it out and put it in a corner as it takes longer to degrade, that way we have the option of using it on fires too.

I agree with Graham, one whole newspaper in the bottom of a big litter tray. About 5 scoops of megazorb on top-mainly at one end. then loads of hay on top of that,with most of it at the opposite end. This hay then gets topped up each day,but the trays get cleaned out twice a week as the megazorb is so absorbant that there's no smell or dampness. I do have 3 trays though,so they don't get as much use per tray as just 1. :-D

I only use newspaper, but quite a lot of it. We don't get a newspaper, but a neighbour gets loads of quality papers and saves all the sport and motoring supplements for Spenser. He also has those free property newspapers you can pick up at the bank or estate agents. He is quite fussy, and doesn't like the tabloids. I once ran out and had to use a Daily Record from another neighbour. His lordship was not amused. :shock:

I agree with Graham, one whole newspaper in the bottom of a big litter tray. About 5 scoops of megazorb on top-mainly at one end. then loads of hay on top of that,with most of it at the opposite end. This hay then gets topped up each day,but the trays get cleaned out twice a week as the megazorb is so absorbant that there's no smell or dampness. I do have 3 trays though,so they don't get as much use per tray as just 1. :-D

Thanks!

And JEN.. I don't know what made me write that?!!!!! :oops::oops::oops::oops:

I use it for indoor bunnies - I used to change the trays twice a day..because Chicky (binky free) had sore hocks, we now change the soiled wet bits only and do a full change once a week. Always topped with fresh hay though and mine are chew and poo demons!

Similar to Graham here - newspaper + megazorb + hay - we change ours every other day, unless I'm away (OH is lazy and pushes it to 3 day)

I use newspaper and hay and clean trays every other day :) I agree with Jen, maybe you've got into the habit of cleaning the trays twice daily and they don't actually need doing, but because its your routine, its what you do :D Mickey never used to wee that much, did he?! :lol: xx

Outdoor buns get megazorb.
Indoor buns get no megazorb, but cleaned everyday (Litter trays).

Back