• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescuing a rabbit and home checks

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
Ok so recently I bought a new big hutch for my Rosie. I was also intending on adopting her a bunny friend as she seems to get quite frustrated and lonely. I will be getting Rosie's VHD done soon so after that I will look to bond her with a rescue bun. I have 2 hutches. The old (quite small :oops: ) one and the new 6ft one. I was going to try bonding them with time together and swapping them between the 2 hutches so they are used to eachother if that makes sence. But would a rescue be happy with the bunny having to sometimes sleep in the smaller hutch until they are properly bonded?? It is just something I worry about a little. Also, if the bond didn't go well would any rescue be happy to take the bunny back and see if another candidate can be bonded? Thanks, never done bonding before so a little nervous and stuff about what to do and expect

Well!! You know Im around to help!!:wave: Im sure no rescue would mind a temporary set up and see the one he will be put into with the doe.

If you wanted to the rescue would do the bonding for you which might be a lot less stressful than doing it yourself if you haven't done it before. Then when they come home they can go into the new hutch together? Just a thought ...

You'll need to iscuss it with the rescue. We, as a rescue, tolerate smaller temporary accommodation than our requirement, however, we wouldn't tolerate small accommodation.

We would suggest that the adopter took the bunny on a foster basis initially and then adopt once they have bonded. that makes returning the bunny easier if it goes wrong (hugely uncommon as long as the adopter listens to advice).

You might be able to find a rescue to bond for you though, which might be even better.

Back