• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit losing weight

ChristyRose

Alpha Buck
My rabbit is losing weight and the vet thinks she might have cancer. He is suggesting she has an x ray. Are there any other reasons why a rabbit might lose weight?

Teeth, not being able to breathe and eat, pain somewhere, depression, renal failure, liver failure, the list is endless, to be honest.

Sorry. I know I am just grasping at straws. Shes lost so much weight but shes eating fine. Dont want to see her waste away....:(

I understand. You're trying to gain as much knowledge as possible to try and help her as much as possible.

My advice would be to start with a full proper, top to toe physical examination (which will include dental examination, listening to the heart and lungs, palpating the abdomen to feel the gut, kidneys and liver and anything else in there that needs feeling, weight, mucous membranes, temperature, etc), and then have full blood work done, as well as x-rays. That's what I would do for mine, at least, unless it was Roger, because I'm not sure how he would cope (Roger is my wildie).

I wouldn't instantly think cancer for a bunny losing weight or struggling with breathing, although I would keep it in mind as a potential issue.

What reason does your vet have for saying cancer? What evidence is there on his part?

ETA- all I mentioned should ideally be done with a competent vet :)

Just the fact that she has lost so much weight. When I picked her up today her hip bones were sticking out and she felt so much lighter - but shes been eating as normal. Until she started panting again yesterday I thought she was better. She hates being picked up and even stroked.
The vet had a good feel of her abdomen today and couldnt feel any tumours.
Her lungs are a problem and dont sound clear like Jakes - he thought that was an asthmatic/ allergic reaction to start with.
There is no mucous coming from anywhere. She has been on antibiotics which didnt do anything to her breathing.
I think he listened to her heart but I will get him to re check that.
It all seems strange. Breathing problems - but cant find the cause and now rapid weight loss but still eating....

Did you manage to find a rabbit-savvy vet (sorry, haven't caught up with your other threads). I think this is really what you need.

Back