• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

UPDATE Advice needed Impaction/Blockage

Kipper

Mama Doe
I got up this morning to a very ill bun. Poor Pipkin was very bloated, when I picked her up it sounded like she was burping. Anyway off we went to the vet as an emergency.
She has practically no intestinal sounds, her tummy is blocked & her secum full of gas. Shes been on painkillers, fluids & other meds throughout the day. She seemed to pick up at 4pm but cant maintain her body temp so is now looking even more ill especially with a drip & collar in/on her
She will be having another x-ray any time soon, but Im wondering if anyone else has had a bun recover from this? The vet is going to decide once the next x-ray is done if an op is required. Shes 5 years old

Last edited:
I'm really sorry to hear this. I hope Pipkin will pull through.

My Bentley was a seriously ill bunny when I took him on (he was only 9 weeks old), he had next to no gut sounds and was blown up like a balloon, his tummy was stretched and taut and you could hear the liquid sloshing around inside him. Bentley didn't have an actual blockage, so it's not the same as Pipkin. Bentley had a paw through death's door, but he pulled through.

I hope someone can come along soon with some advice or encouragement for you. If not, then you could try PMing Jack's Jane who has a wealth of bunny knowledge.

I'll keep everything crossed for you and Pipkin. Thinking of you both. xx

Thanks Im currently waiting for the vet to ring with the results if Pip's x-rays, trying so hard not to worry about it being bad news

I've had a few with this condition sadly, only one went for surgery, the others were managed conservatively as they weren't quite serious enough to require surgery, though it was touch and go all day for Esme once as to whether she'd end up in surgery.

it is possible with fluids, painkillers etc for the blockage to move away safely but it's a really hard decision for the vet to decide whether there is very little chance of this happening or that this is the rabbit's best chance. If they don't believe it will move then surgery is the only option but is extremely risky - I think the odds of recovery at this stage are about 50/50 :(

Do you know if you vet has taken a blood glucose sample? A recent study by Frances Harcourt-Brown has shown this is a good indicator of whether surgery is necessary/essential. The test basically measures the amount of distress the gut is under therefore whether it is essential to operate straight away or better to use conservative treatment.

A glucose reading of 15 shows there is a problem that needs treatment - if the reading is over 20 it's extremely serious and surgery should definitely be considered.

I really hope the new x-ray brings better news.

Yes her glucose was very high this morning but has since come down. Unfortunately I cant remember what the readings were there has just been so much to take in. Vet has warned me that the surgery is risky but didnt realise it was only 50/50.
Poor Pippy has been through so much already. Less than a year ago she underwent surgery for an abcess in her jaw & had 2 teeth removed. She's on daily injections of depocillin to control bordetella.
Going to ring the vet now for an update, fingers crossed Pip has improved

Yes her glucose was very high this morning but has since come down. Unfortunately I cant remember what the readings were there has just been so much to take in. Vet has warned me that the surgery is risky but didnt realise it was only 50/50.
Poor Pippy has been through so much already. Less than a year ago she underwent surgery for an abcess in her jaw & had 2 teeth removed. She's on daily injections of depocillin to control bordetella.
Going to ring the vet now for an update, fingers crossed Pip has improved

I don't want to raise your hopes without being 100% certain but I'm pretty sure, from what FHB has told me, that once the glucose reading starts coming down it continues to do so as the stress is subsiding - that she'd never know it to go back up into the dangerously high readings when they'd dropped below that point. She told me in Esme's case that she breathed a sigh of relief when her reading came down as the danger had passed. What you say about her picking up at 4pm ties in with this - they saw this happen with Elijah too - it was like flicking a switch and the glucose reading matched his presentation. I really hope that you get good news soon.

(The odds might be better than 50/50, I've probably taken that figure from an out of date book and advancements have improved the chances).

Thanks Bunny Buddy I feel a little encouraged by that. Just spoken to the vet the x-ray was a little encouraging but not much. Pipkin still cant maintain her body temp & when I speaking to the vet all I could hear was a dog barking very loudly in the background which isnt going to help Pips stress levels. If only I could offer her the same level of care at home, Im sure she'd do a lot better The good thing is her glucose levels are back to normal.

Thanks Bunny Buddy I feel a little encouraged by that. Just spoken to the vet the x-ray was a little encouraging but not much. Pipkin still cant maintain her body temp & when I speaking to the vet all I could hear was a dog barking very loudly in the background which isnt going to help Pips stress levels. If only I could offer her the same level of care at home, Im sure she'd do a lot better The good thing is her glucose levels are back to normal.

Fantastic news about the glucose levels. No idea about the other stuff, temperature etc but at least it sounds like she's out of the immediate danger she was in.

Hopefully where the vet rang from is not where the bunnies are, so the barking won't be so bad for Pipkin.

Unfortuantely for Pip all the animals are in one big room & the dog may only be a couple of feet away

Rung the vet at 7 this morning been awake since 4 worrying about Pip but waited until what I thought was a respectable time to call. Ive had some good news, Pip has maintained her body heat herself since 2am & her blood glucose levels are normal, shes passed one cecal pellet which I know isnt great but its better than yesterday. I know a rabbits health can change suddenly but its positive news & Im going to focus on that. Hurry up & get better Pipkin your husbun is missing you. He sat on my knee for over 10 mins for a cuddle this morning. Pip is the Dutch bun in my sig. :)

Back