• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outraged rant about ridiculous hutches and frozen rabbits!

wildchild91

Young Bun
I hope this is the right area to post this under (if its not I do apologise :oops:) But I need to rant to people who will understand my fury about this ¬_¬

Firstly, I'm looking into the possibilities of fostering for local rescues, more in the way of giving long termers a break from the rescue and in the way of providing emergency temporary accomodation...being as skint as I am, I cant afford to go out and buy a host of new hutches, and so I thought I should start by looking at any second hand hutches & cages I might be able to aquire as cheap as possible...

The sheer number of adverts on sites such as preloved, with ridiculous adverts for "rabbit hutch - 3 foot" etc etc has just completelyl enraged me...I then unfortunately moved into the rabbit section and was absolutely horrified to find these adverts and more!!!!!!!

"hi, i have for sale a male and female black and white rabbit ,i do believe they are dwarfs, i just cant remember the name, there is also a female black lionhead, a fantastic hutch which is 6 weeks old which cost 130quid, it is a double hutch with the ladders to get to the run underneath, the 3 rabbits are absoultly gergous , and very very friendly, has they have been braught up by my 4 kids, i am asking 30, o.v.n.o, for everything, "

"I have an 10 month old sooty fawn Dwarf lop for stud. He has fathered one lot of 5 kits. Gizmo has a lovely temperament and loves attentions nd cuddles. I will take in your rabbit for a couple of days or longer if so wished. £15"

"male rabbit eitha free or will pay small priceWakefield, West Yorkshire, UK£1 wanting a nice rabbit for my kids which comes with a hutch will pay small fee"

"lionhead does for sale" - With an image that clearly shows a dutch :roll:

"moo is a flopped ear rabbitt under a yr old she has a hutch wich is a dogs kennel and long run thats bean added on looking for £65 for all only ression for not keeping is due to not having grass..."

these irritated me...but to then find this one

" We are having to sell our rabbit hutch as our rabbit died due to the cold weather lately :(
Its big enough for one adult rabbit or 2 babies untill you get a bigger hutch. Its single story, but no legs so would be sat on the floor."

IF YOUR RABBIT FREEZES TO DEATH THAN THATS ON YOUR HEAD AS A DOWNRIGHT NEGLECTFUL OWNER, FAILING TO CARE FOR IT PROPERLY!!!!! How can anyone even post that and think its an acceptable reason for the poor bunny to die?! Absolutely pathetic! :evil::evil::evil:

I feel like writing to the advertiser and giving her a piece of my mind but I know I wont be able to remain civil and It wont do any good. That poor bunny is all I can think about.

Please discuss and let me know that I'm not alone in my blind fury.

You're not alone. I have to try not to look at those types of adverts any more because I just end up in a rage.

i unfortunately work at a pet store and hear stories like this everyday... makes me mad, then i come home and cuddle with all my animals and remember that at least mine are well taken care of, and i take comfort in knowing that all the buns who are owned by you guys on this forum are all being well taken care of too :)

The lack of care and knowledge of these people is deeply depressing.:cry::cry:
I have to focus on my own lucky few pets, to keep myself from becoming too depressed about the situation of lots of other animals.

I've been really upset by several recently. All along the same lines "huge rabbit hutch. (4 or 5ft :(). Selling because I don't have room for it in my garden". I've messaged all of them to give minimum requirements and practically beg them not to downsize their bunny's homes. Only had a message back from one - "do you want to buy the hutch or not?" :roll:

I usually send messages to the people who post want ads for small hutches or cheap rabbits to explain what rabbits are like. I figure in most cases it's genuinely not knowing, rather than not caring.
When people are selling rabbits I guess all you can do is hope they go to a good home.

this was on gumtree a few days ago. so disgusting.

I have a grey, male rabbit for sale. the pet was bought a week ago for my 2 female rabbits to have fun. after the successfull sexy-time they don't need him anymore, so he must go to an other animal lover.

Price: £10 (I bought it for £40, this is a quick sale price)

Local pick up from London, Leyton.

Last edited:
this was on gumtree a few days ago. so disgusting.

I have a grey, male rabbit for sale. the pet was bought a week ago for my 2 female rabbits to have fun. after the successfull sexy-time they don't need him anymore, so he must go to an other animal lover.

Price: £10 (I bought it for £40, this is a quick sale price)

Local pick up from London, Leyton.

That has to be the most horrible reason I have ever heard of for getting rid of a pet. She should of brought her rabbits to that other lady with the male available for breeding. Just kidding that was horrible too and the one where the rabbit froze to death should be arrested for cruelty:censored:.

It makes me so angry when I see things like that :evil: I try not to look :( When we had Poppy nearly 5 years ago, it was heavily snowing, freezing cold and thunder storms.. her 4 brothers died almost straight away :( I had the sense to put a blanket and tarpauling over the front of her hutch and pack her bed with straw and hay and luckily she was okay :) I still think about her brothers though :(

I just can't read through ads like those cos I would just be feeling so upset all the time.

I do my best by supporting rescues where I can and providing the best for my bunnies.

It is so sad that people have stinking attitudes towards pet care.

I hate to say this but there will always be cases of neglect, cruelty, ignorance..........

We all just do our very best for them, here and now and hopefully for the future.

It does break your heart and is sickening.

Bear in mind how much good work is done though.

If only we could change things forever.

Back