• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alpha female not longer boss?

LauryStevens

Mama Doe
This morning I noticed our alpha female (Blossom) had a tiny bit of pulled fur sticking out of her coat. I assumed Skittles had done it as she's got a little bit of a temper and the other 2 are very placid. Well today I actually saw Skittles lunge and Blossom, and Blossom backed off which isn't like her at all. Skittles is a mini lop and is a bit bigger then Blossom who is a netherland dwarf, so I'm guessing Skittles has now decided to be alpha female and Blossom has accepted that? Whats your view on it? And should I be concerned? I'm so used to seeing Blossom in charge it's almost not right to see this behavour.

History: Blossom and Thumper are almost 2, Skittles and Bella are almost 1 - all neutered and spayed - all have been living together for over 6 months - Only ever show "agressive" behaviour when I'm doing excessive work on something or spending way too long faffing with them, otherwise, they never seem to have any issues.

It's possible this has always been how their heirarchy has worked but it's not been as noticable as it is currently; i.e. in breeding season.

Equally, I would wonder about a health reason if she has been knocked off the top, for either one. A vet check might be in order but bunnies can know there are problems before we do and so it may be an issue that isn't yet observable to humans.

Has anything else changed in their world recently? Any additions to the household?

It's possible this has always been how their heirarchy has worked but it's not been as noticable as it is currently; i.e. in breeding season.

Equally, I would wonder about a health reason if she has been knocked off the top, for either one. A vet check might be in order but bunnies can know there are problems before we do and so it may be an issue that isn't yet observable to humans.

Has anything else changed in their world recently? Any additions to the household?

Blossom has been known to get a little bit of a gunky eye (happened twice since we've had her) when she gets stressed out, usually when a season is changing, but recently she seems fine, still grunts and acts like boss. Skittles and Blossom will happily spend time together, I'm just wondering what might happen in the future, I'll be devistated if they need to be split up. Last time they had a check, teeth wise, they were all perfect and physically appeared it. They're all going in for their Myxo next month so will have another check up then to see if we can find anything. Changes might include the new extension to their run, being a wendy house linked via a short tunnel from their original set up. It's been there about a week or two and Blossom was very adiment that she needed to check it out first, after a while she was happy with everyone coming and going as they please. I do go in there a lot as I store their food and hay in there, and thats usually where they prefer to be now as they can free feed through the bars where the hay is stored. Generally they all seem fine together, but it's just recently over the past 2 days I've got a little "aware" of what they're doing so am quite cautious at the moment

Yes the change in run space could easily do it.

Really, you only need to worry if one of the bunnies is clearly struggling. chasing and fur pulling and nipping can all be part of a normal and healthy bond. If she looks like she is struggling, then you need to consider separating.

Yes the change in run space could easily do it.

Really, you only need to worry if one of the bunnies is clearly struggling. chasing and fur pulling and nipping can all be part of a normal and healthy bond. If she looks like she is struggling, then you need to consider separating.

I'm hoping it's just normal behavour as they seem absolutely fine otherwise and none appear ill or not quite right so hopefully *fingers crossed* Thanks :)

Back