• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bleeding behind the eye and from the nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I am guessing there is no illness/condition that could cause these in an otherwise happy bunny, especially as they are happening at different times :?

My thinking is that they are due to injury/ head trauma rather than something internal if you understand where I am coming from :?

Blimey that doesn't sound good.
My first thought would be trauma....

Hope bunny is ok x

She seems fine in herself, well as good as she gets now adays but I am really worrying about her overall quality of life especially now she is injuring herself :(:(

:(
This happened to Grim because he is so inflamed around his eyes and nose a slight knock can cause enough trauma to make it bleed. Is tehre any other health issue that could cause it?

I don't know the answer but it sounds very worrying. :(:( Lots of vibes from me. xxx

:(
This happened to Grim because he is so inflamed around his eyes and nose a slight knock can cause enough trauma to make it bleed. Is tehre any other health issue that could cause it?

She is blind and has severe neurological issues. Her behaviour has got so much worse in recent weeks and it appears she is now running into things and bashing herself so hard she is causing bleeds. She has become impossible to handle and although the vets are good with her they struggle more than we do to cope with her so wanted to see if there was a possible illness before we have to take her in to be vet checked

I don't know the answer but it sounds very worrying. :(:( Lots of vibes from me. xxx

Must admit I was a bit shocked this morning to find her with a bloody nose and it wiped over her head, especially as she had been fine 20 minutes earlier:(

High Blood Pressure
Diabetic Retinothapy

Diabetic Retinothapy doesn't fit :? But it wouldn't surprise me if she has high blood pressure, she is constantly stressed and 'on guard' :(

Thanks, I will speak to the vet before we decide to take her in an mention them

Do you think it could be that as she is so stressed perhaps she is not coping with her issues and then this is causing her to freak out and run into things? So perhaps the more she does it the more freaked out and on edge she becomes?

Could it be fits?
Or could something that lowers blood pressure or reduces stress work for her?
Does she have companions? How are they acting towards her? Do they treat her normally or do they 'understand' her needs. Smoo often 'herds' Grim as he can't see very well and this stops him running into things and has helped his stress levels immensely.

Sorry I don't really know so I'm just throwing out ideas. :(

Do you think it could be that as she is so stressed perhaps she is not coping with her issues and then this is causing her to freak out and run into things? So perhaps the more she does it the more freaked out and on edge she becomes?

Could it be fits?
Or could something that lowers blood pressure or reduces stress work for her?
Does she have companions? How are they acting towards her? Do they treat her normally or do they 'understand' her needs. Smoo often 'herds' Grim as he can't see very well and this stops him running into things and has helped his stress levels immensely.

Sorry I don't really know so I'm just throwing out ideas. :(

I think this is a big possibility. I haven't seen any fits but she is an outside bun so it would be possible to miss them.

She lives alone as she would rip another bunny to pieces. I know she would love company but she can't cope with it, she cannot deal with any kind of movement at all :( On a windy day we have to keep her in her hutch inside the shed as even leaves or trees blowing set her off :(

Poor thing. Probably not what you want to hear but my first thought was a brain tumour that is bleeding. That might also explain the neuro symptoms and the change in behaviour. Hope to hear good news from you. x

Poor thing. Probably not what you want to hear but my first thought was a brain tumour that is bleeding. That might also explain the neuro symptoms and the change in behaviour. Hope to hear good news from you. x

Thanks Chris this has crossed my mind too. On a plus note she has been like this all her life its just getting worse at the moment. She has been with us 2 years and we got her at 9 months old. When she was 6 weeks old she had to be seperated from mum and siblings as she was attacking them :(

Oh no sounds terrible :( what did the vet say?

I am going to speak to the vet next week about her. Jojo is fine in herself at the moment, eating and no bleeding today :) I don't want to rush into any decisions about her, its a difficult one so want to make sure I know what i am going to say and that i am doing the right thing by her :love:

I am going to speak to the vet next week about her. Jojo is fine in herself at the moment, eating and no bleeding today :) I don't want to rush into any decisions about her, its a difficult one so want to make sure I know what i am going to say and that i am doing the right thing by her :love:

Oh, bless her heart. I hope she isn't in any pain :( I would have taken her at the first sign of blood.

Sending loads of calming healing vibes for her, really really hope she is not suffering :(:(

Oh, bless her heart. I hope she isn't in any pain :( I would have taken her at the first sign of blood.

Sending loads of calming healing vibes for her, really really hope she is not suffering :(:(

Me too. Are the vets open in the morning? Ours are open on a Saturday for about 2 hours in the morning.

Agree with Julia - really hope she's ok. x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back