• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

e cuniculi fee questions

willowflower27

Mama Doe
I'm confused doing the research I need to stay busy obviously I'm waiting on blood results coming back from Finley but for Dana am I right in saying she needs a 28 day one of course of panacur even though she's not showing clinical signs?
EC seems shrouded in controversy about whether panacur works also if she's exposed to EC can she no longer Be partnered with another bun (long way off yet) ans how do I set about getting rid of environmental spores?
It's all so confusing

To be honest, there is standard advice, but equally everyone will have their own opinion.

I personally see no need for Panacur as a preventative because it's only be proven to work at the time the bunny is exposed to the spore, not once it is in it's system. I might consider using it to try and slow the illness if I got a bunny with it, but would look for the drug the US use- not sure if it's available over here. I also wouldn't hesitate to bond a bunny who had/has EC either (if it's in the best interest of that bunny and the bunny bonding with it), because most bunnies have been exposed and will actually show up as positive in a test. Most bunnies carry it dormant like they do with pastuerella but it only becomes an issue when the immune system is taking a battering. So I would likely have a different viewpoint from most people on this, to be honest.

ETA- the standard advice for EC is to bleach the environment on day 21 and 28, but those were just randomly selected, easy to remember days I believe.

Last edited:
my vet recommened i treat all of my buns as a precuation she is a highly qualified vet used to be head vet at london zoo and has worked all over europe and came recommened from richard at the bristol uni rabbit society but it may not be right but i treated mine and they have not shown any ec signs good luck with you bun though:thumb:

We have one bunny who has developed EC and the other has not shown any signs despite living together. The bunny with EC we have treated with lapizole for 28 days and he is doing well. His head is tilted and likely to remain this way but he is getting on just fine and having his partner does seem to help him. We are treating both.

EC spores are spread through the urine, so if you make sure you bleach down anywhere where they are weeing and rinse down throughly with water. The active ingredient in both panacur and lapizole is the same so there shouldn't be any difference with regards to effectiveness. Lapizole is a 28 day course for treating EC and for routine worming is 5 days every 3 months.

If she has it I would treat, regardless of clinical signs. I believe the controversy really surrounds those who's EC status is unknown.
I would definately find another EC positive bun to bond with. There are some out there in rescues, you just might have to go a bit further afield.
Why has she been tested?

She hasn't been tested but her bonded partner who I lost was I'm awaiting the results but as a precaution vet has said I should treat in case she has it as Finley looked like a EC bun

Back