• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit bereavement

willowflower27

Mama Doe
As a few of you are aware I lost my beloved Finley yesterday and I am devastated but aware that it was best for him so I am coping. However his wifebun is distraught and refusing to eat groom etc are there any dos and donts in the grieving process what should I do to help & support her? I let her see him as we brought him home to bury him and she did this horribly high pitch wail and frantically tried to wake him then when she realized she couldn't she took herself off to her hidey and has only picked at food since last night what do I do, i don't want to rush in and syringe feed her as I'm worried that will cause stress
This was my first bonded pair so the first time I'm in this situation also

That's an exceptionally sad situation to read about. Her grief is clearly huge and deep. The only 'do' is to let them see the body (unless exceptional circumstances), which you did. The rest just comes down to you reading her and reading what you think is best for her. some need a freidn ASAP, others need time to grieve and need to wait, others are not overly bothered.

She might find having access to a constant snugglesafe as beneficial because it can simulate the warmth of another bunny. It's not the same, obviously, but it might help.

I'm so sorry you all find yourselves in this situation.

How (even more) heartbreaking for you. And her.

Would she be happy if you sat with her, perhaps had her on your lap, and stroked and cuddled her? I don't know whether she's that sort of bun? I've not been in this situation (yet) but maybe that would comfort her? I agree, a Snugglesafe where she goes to hide herself is a very good idea.

She isn't a cuddles bun she is more happy in rabbit company than in human I don't want another bunny at the minute the grief is still to raw for both me and her plus I need to wait til the panacur treatment complete I,ve popped a snugglesafe in which she seems to have cosied up to otherwise I'm treating her as normal as I don't want to keep bringing home the fact he's no longer here. By normal I mean the door to her cage is open so she is still able to do as she pleases I'm so heartbroken for her he was her whole world she's totally lost without him

It can feel so difficult in the situation you are with a rabbit that potentially is going to need a friend and you not feeling ready.

Obviosuly you know you have to wait until she has finished her Panacur, which is fine, but be careful to make sure you read her signs and not follow your own grief. I'm so sure you won't, because you love her so much, but if you did get lost in your grief and put your needs of not having a new bunny before hers, you are likely to end up feeling worse in the long run. I'm sure though, that when the panacur is done, you will see what her needs are and follow them :)

Gosh that is just so incredibly heartbreaking, poor poor girl :cry: Ive never heard of a bun wailing with grief before, she must have a vey deep understanding of whats happened :cry::cry::cry:

I have no other advise, you seem to be doing everything right. I agree treating her as normal as possible is the best thing for her. Keep offering her all her favourite foods to keep her eating. I would also say spend as much time as possible just sitting quietly with her so she knows you are there. When I lost my bun Tilly I slept on the floor with her husbun Timmy for a week afterwards, he slept next to me and OH and it was comforting for all of us. Obviously thats not possible if shes outside though.

I waited 2 weeks after Tillys death to adopt my bun Mimi. I was still completely devastated by losing Tilly, but Timmy was so sad I just knew it was what he needed. It took me some time to bond with her as I was still clouded with grief, but Timmy perked up instantly :love:

Im so sorry for you all (((HUGS)))

So sorry dor your loss.
Its a tough call, I made sure I gave my bun extra time and attention. Being an ouside bun I spent more time in the shed with him. He did not always want me their and would head off out to the run,but over time he came to me more and more for attention and after a few weeks (and a 28 day panacure dose just in case) I decided I had to get him a freind (actualy it turned out to be 2 freinds)

Hi I'm so sorry about the loss of Finley,

I would keep a very close eye on her eating and drinking and consider cooled water in a croc, lots of fav foods available and possibly fibreplex/veterinary advice if she shows any signs of a much reduced appetite and less poos. As suggested, a teddy or snugglesafe may also help.
When my bunny Alice lost her sister, she was extremely distressed and this led to an episode of Stasis for her. She only began to improve when we introduced Oliver about 10 days later. It's such a horrible situation to have lost a bunny and have such a sad bunny left behind.

Best wishes
Nicki

Back