• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poor Hendrix

kloerose88

New Kit
New to this and have just created an account for advice...

I have a 4 month old mini lop called Hendrix...

He's such a friendly little thing and loves my dog (id never leave them alone together) but the dog goes up to the cage and they touch noses the dog sometimes gives him a kiss...

Well, Saturday night a fox approached his cage - Hendrix obviously thinking the fox was as friendly as our dog went to close to the cage. I managed to get down there in time for no blod shed however, it would appear that Hendrix has now hurt his front leg. I dont think the fox bit him as the is no evidence of this (no gash no bloody or anything like that).

He doesnt appear to be able to feel it. Its very floopy and hes just dragging it along the floor :( i took him straight to the vets and he said his leg may be paralised and might have to be ampuated if after a rest it makes no improvment. He has given me cat painkiller :S and sent me on my way. Im not to happy about this as Hendrix still hasnt made any improvement. He still wants cuddles and is eating and drinkin and pooing just as before.

Ive been giving him his meds nd putting him to bed with a heat pad! his back to the vets on Monday! what should I do??

HELP x

Welcome to the site :) I'm sorry it's not under better circumstances.

Did the vet do an x-ray to confirm if it was broken/dislocated?

I would presume the cat painkiller is the cat version of Metacam? Ideally rabbits need the dog version (which is three times stronger) to ease pain and they can have quite high doses of it too.

If your vet hasn't done an x-ray it might be worth looking for another vet. Are you in the UK? If you are, you could try posting a thread called 'Looking for a rabbit savvy vet in/near *insert your area here*' and hoping that people will be able to recommend someone. Equally, you can use the search function on here to look for one too.

It's good he is still eating, drinking, pooing and weeing though, but he must be in a lot of discomfort. Poor chap :(

nope, no x ray....

the vet was suprised when i said how old he was, he thought he was much younger. He really is a titch! I assumed this was why he gave me the cat version and not the dog - he did give me the dog dose last year for my elderly rabbit. Shame i have none of that left.

I am in the UK, I will now do as suggested and do a post looking for a rabbit savy vet as there dont seem to be many aruound which is a shame. I go to my current vets on the suggestion of the breeder!

I will keep you posted x

Poor Hendrix :cry: I hope you can find a vet who will xray the leg. If it does need to be amputated, my bridge bun Billy had a leg amputated and he coped fine with three. Good luck. Sending lots of vibes for Hendrix xx

Back