• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

He's only got one testicle! Help!

emz281

Young Bun
Hi anyone out there with a cryptorchidism (internal testicle) bunny that has been operated on and been successful? Only one of Aloha's (mini lion lop) testis have dropped, he is coming up to 2 years in May. I have yet to find a vet that has done this op on a bunny and they don't even have a price list for it...was referred to vet and he told me it would be in the region of 500pounds if they had to go into the abdomen, he had no previous experience of doing this op on a rabbit either. So I decided it was far too risky and decided to not go through with the op. I am aware that the internal testicle (if there is one) might be cancerous. I am interested to find out if anyone else has had success and how much they paid. Also would insurance payout towards this? Cheers!

QUite a few members have had a bunny with an undescended testicle, where the vet has to explore into the abdomen to remove it.

Hopefully someone with additional knowledge will come and post soon.

My beautiful boy Sky was a 'one ball' as we called him. He had his removed on 5th September 2007. it was the first operation of that kind my vet had done, although he had done one on a guineapig before.

My boy is now 6 and a half and loving life. He's fine :)

My vet is based in Ipswich, but there will be other vets around that are competent enough to carry out an operation like that, although I appreciate finding one with prior experience might be a bit tough.

I have not had one but have had various other buns with genital deformities, accidental anus tearing, and internal uterine deformities . . as well as Parsleys recent emergency penis partial amputation (just dont ask:roll::roll:) - I can absolutely recommend my vet surgeon as carrying out the most complex procedures on buns (and other small furries). I know that she was thinking she might have to do a 'gonad removal' in one of my wildies - as we are still awaiting any evidence of sexuality at 10 months! PS I am pretty sure that she will have done the op you mention as she has a huge experience in bunny surgery.

We are in Cambridge but it might be worth travelling.

If you do consider travelling PM me for details of my vet

PS we can sometimes offer overnight accommodation if you dont mind a camp bed - or temp accommodation for bun

Last edited:
500 is alot of money! my honey was spayed for72 and thast a big op.

my vets really good with rabbits and works with rescues. he might have some advice.heres their info anyway:wave:

Kynoch vets
Ralphs Ride
Bracknell
Berkshire
RG12 9LG

Tel: 01344 421200

Email: harmanswater@kynochvets.co.uk

500 is alot of money! my honey was spayed for72 and thast a big op.

my vets really good with rabbits and works with rescues. he might have some advice.heres their info anyway:wave:

Kynoch vets
Ralphs Ride
Bracknell
Berkshire
RG12 9LG

Tel: 01344 421200

Email: harmanswater@kynochvets.co.uk

Spaying is very different from cryptorchid; for one thing it's routine.

I think my neuter for Sky was about £100 but that was in September 2007.

yhh, my gracie, now known as grayson had something similar! the vet managed to pop them down when he was under GA, it was more than an shock! he went in as a she and came out a he!!

Last edited:
I have not had one but have had various other buns with genital deformities, accidental anus tearing, and internal uterine deformities . . as well as Parsleys recent emergency penis partial amputation (just dont ask:roll::roll:) - I can absolutely recommend my vet surgeon as carrying out the most complex procedures on buns (and other small furries). I know that she was thinking she might have to do a 'gonad removal' in one of my wildies - as we are still awaiting any evidence of sexuality at 10 months! PS I am pretty sure that she will have done the op you mention as she has a huge experience in bunny surgery.

We are in Cambridge but it might be worth travelling.

If you do consider travelling PM me for details of my vet

:lol: thatdid make me laugh! poor parsley!

I have not had one but have had various other buns with genital deformities, accidental anus tearing, and internal uterine deformities . . as well as Parsleys recent emergency penis partial amputation (just dont ask:roll::roll:)

Oh my! Poor little bun bun!

I think Cambridge is a bit far, I'm sure there is someone capable closer...I have been recommended Guy Carter at Medivet - Watford, Hertfordshire, but have also heard loads of bad things about Medivet!!!

Will I be able to get money from insurance for this op? Seems unlikely as it might fall under 'neutering'.... 500pounds!!! :censored:

Thank you everyone for your help so far ;)

I think Cambridge is a bit far, I'm sure there is someone capable closer...I have been recommended Guy Carter at Medivet - Watford, Hertfordshire, but have also heard loads of bad things about Medivet!!!

Will I be able to get money from insurance for this op? Seems unlikely as it might fall under 'neutering'.... 500pounds!!! :censored:

we are only 45 mins on the train from KX - or an hour drive depending where you are - but then bun would need to 'settle' after arriving - hope you can find a good local vet!

I think my boy bun has got the same problem - he's from a rescue so they don't know his background and assumed he'd already been neutered cos there's no testicles visible, but recently he's started spraying my female bun. I also thought I could feel a slight lump in that area. He went for an ultrasound at the vet today but the woman couldn't tell and admitted she doesn't really understand ultrasounds (great) so he's going back Friday for an ultrasound with a different vet at the same place and a blood test to check for hormones.
I'm really stressing as if there are testicles there they have to go in through the abdomen not the scrotum. I was also wondering if anyone else's bun has had this op done.
He's estimated to be about 4.

I work at a vets. And we claimed for a dog cryptorchid recently and they paid out. It is a necessary op as retained testicles can eventually turn cancerous.

Sorry I can't help about what vets to go to, but good luck :)

Back