• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Trimming nails

okikokikate

Mama Doe
I'm going to have to try and trim my rabbits nails.
I've never done it before, Ive only had her nearly 3 weeks.
Ive seen clippers in a pet store. I have looked at a few nails and I can see parts that are clear and then then turn darker. I know not to cut the dark part.
Prob is she still won't come out of her crate, so if we want her out we have to pick her up and bring her out, and she scrabbles. So I dont know how Im going to manage to cut her nails...

a piece of advice is to get dog nail clippers, they're much more capable of the job than the little scissor type ones designed for rabbits.

Has she had her jabs yet? If not, I'd consider getting a vet to do it in the first time when you go for her vaccinations. The vet can show you exactly how to do it and talk to you about what sort of length the claws should be and what length warrants a clipping. We've only had to do our buns a handful of times and have had them a couple of years so you may find she doesn't actually need them doing yet.

We've only done Donny's twice since I had him and he was 1 in January :) I checked them every week but they were always too short to cut without hurting him. First time was when he was 6 months old and we did his back feet the other day :D

Lola has never had hers done but I've checked and they're fine but I'll ask the vet on Monday :)

Leo had his done while he was under GA the other day for his dental, and Poppy had hers done under GA when she was spayed :)

I don't mind doing them, you just need to be firm! :lol: but I prefer the vet doing them :)

I forgot to say shes an indoor bun so doesnt get to naturally wear down her nails.
She has had her injections. She hasnt been spayed yet. another month til she can I think

Im worried about doing them amd being firm with her because she doesnt seem to like me v much. i dont wanna add to her dislike of me. want her to feel comfy coming out and with me

Yeah Don and Lola are outdoor but Donny has decking so doesn't wear them down much, I just keep an eye on them :) Lola is on the patio but they both have carpet squares and mats to keep off the cold :oops: :lol:

Pops and Leo are indoor, you can tell when they're too long, but with Leo there was no way we could hold him still, Poppy stays still through fear of what we're going to do to her (probably from when we had to syringe feed her everyday) but will kick out, she hates us afterwards but we give her a treat and she soon changes her mind ;) :lol: If you're not "firm" (obviously I say firm lightly) then they could jump out and hurt themselves, my bf has a good grip on them but not so that it would hurt them :)

We also use towels :) our vet showed us but we only need to use it on Donny lol, he loves a cuddle but he hates his feet being touched :lol: when he's under a towel he doesn't fight us :) You could catch her and hold her tight against you for a bit before doing it, she might not feel scared then :) and use a tea towel to put over her and get someone to just 'hold her down', again using enough 'force' to keep her from hurting herself :)

Edit: If she nips you when your holding her try not to shout out or it might scare her :) Poppy nips and digs at my bf :lol: but he goes through it so she doesn't freak out. If your bunny is still nervous then maybe wear a long sleeved top :) It's not a full on bite, just a warning nip.

Last edited:
Does your bf hold them and you clip them Aly?

Yeah :) Don't think I'd be able to do it without him tbh lol :) Sometimes one of them will pull a foot away so if it was just me on my own then they would probably end up on the floor and hurting themselves :shock: :)

Back