• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to keep in a rabbit first aid kit?

Items which are 'Non Prescription':

CONTACT DETAILS OF VET !!

Infacol or Gripe Water
Sterile Saline Solution
Dry Iodine Spray
Rehydration Sachets (eg Dioralyte)
Probiotic eg Fibreplex
Cotton Wool Pads
Cotton Buds
Sterile Dressing Pads
Micropore Tape
Vetwrap
Hibiscrub
Styptic Pencil
Savlon Advanced Healing Gel
Aloe Vera Gel
Arnica Gel
Rescue Remedy
Nail Clippers
Comb
Brush
Round Ended Scissors
Digital Thermometer
1ml disposable syringes
Critical Care
Disposable Gloves and Aprons
Heat Pad
Ice Pods

Some Vets will allow owners to keep certain prescription only medication at home-eg Metacam. In my case I have a rather large amount of POMs due to having several Rabbits with a variety of chronic health problems.

Oooh, my cupboards are full to overflowing with animal medical stuff but probiotics I think are really useful (biolapis) especially if bunny has had runny bum or been on a course of oral antibiotics, I have just had a really poorly bunny in and I added that to his water to aid his digestion as he has not produced his own caecotrophs for days, fibreplex, critical care or science recovery (I usually have both as wild rabbits prefer Science recovery for some reason), ivermectin, then most of the other stuff is prescription only - metacam, baytril, Hartmanns fluids etc. Sharp, small scissors for cutting fur, cotton pads for bathing wounds, nail cutters (I have about 3 different ones that all have different functions and I do use them for various different rabbity jobs), rearguard, hibiscrub...........perhaps I am going over board now as I probably have more bunnies passing through than your average person. :lol:

I haven't got one and I don't intend on getting one either.

If they get a cut then if they'll let me I'll wipe it down with a mild salty solution.

If they get that badly injured or are evidently ill, I'll take them straight to the vet.

Can't see the point of a first aid box for bunnies, sorry.

I haven't got one and I don't intend on getting one either.

If they get a cut then if they'll let me I'll wipe it down with a mild salty solution.

If they get that badly injured or are evidently ill, I'll take them straight to the vet.

Can't see the point of a first aid box for bunnies,
sorry.

That's a shame, it could prove to be very useful

Gosh. i'd never be without my first aid kit (which isn't in one place, it's all scattered everywhere :lol: although I do have a tool box with the majority in). It's been an actual, literal lifesaver.

i have one, comes in handy, just like we have one for ourselves or children, no doubt if serious enough members will see a vet too, like us doctors or nurses

:wave: I have one and would not be without it.

Oxbow Critical care fineblend
syringes
gloves
cotton wool pads
sudocrem
fibreplex
nail clippers
Metacam (as I have a dental bun and only use after dentals)
infacol

I used to have hibiscrub (need to get some)

Last edited:
Gosh. i'd never be without my first aid kit (which isn't in one place, it's all scattered everywhere :lol: although I do have a tool box with the majority in). It's been an actual, literal lifesaver.

ditto - absolutely invaluable while the OH hangs on the phone trying to get hold of the vet - or at 3am in the morning when only the **** emergency vet is on - who wouldn't have a clue anyway (you should have seen them trying to bind Parsleys broken leg:roll::roll:).

I don't have one but will definitely be getting one.
Is there an alternative to iodine spray I could use instead? I'm very seriously allergic to iodine and anything containing it :(

Nebuliser
Pavalex
F10
Fibreplex
Critical care
Organic fruit baby food
Oats
Bramble leaves
vetergesic
zantac
cornflower
coltsfoot
metaclopramide/maxolon syrup
metacam
5ml syringes
2ml syringes
1ml syringes
Gauze
bandages
tissues
scissors
needles (for syringes)
Medicine bottles for dispensing metacam easier
probiotic
disposable gloves
towels
fuciderm
Nail scissors
Furminator
comb
cotton wool
cotton wool buds
hypotonic solution
Ionic water (sterilised)
Snuggle safe and multiple covers
Icepods
Vetbed(lots)
Pineapple juice
Sudacrem!
I also make sure to have certain things like banana just incase a bunny needs tempting to eat!

Probably missed some things!

This might be a really stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway :lol:
With the food based items in the kit (critical care, baby food, etc) should I give it to my buns while they're healthy to check it won't upset their stomachs?

The organic fruit baby food I only add a tiny bit to soaked pellets or critical care to make it taste abit sweeter if I have a resistant rabbit :p I haven't tested it on mine prior to illness in honesty x

Nebuliser
Parvolex
F10
Fibreplex
Critical care
Organic fruit baby food
Oats
Bramble leaves
vetergesic
zantac

cornflower
coltsfoot
metaclopramide/maxolon syrup

metacam
5ml syringes
2ml syringes
1ml syringes
Gauze
bandages
tissues
scissors
needles (for syringes)
Medicine bottles for dispensing metacam easier
probiotic
disposable gloves
towels
fuciderm
Nail scissors
Furminator
comb
cotton wool
cotton wool buds
hypotonic solution
Ionic water (sterilised)
Snuggle safe and multiple covers
Icepods
Vetbed(lots)
Pineapple juice
Sudacrem!
I also make sure to have certain things like banana just incase a bunny needs tempting to eat!

Probably missed some things!

I think it is important to note that the items in red bold font are Prescription Only Drugs and Vetergesic is actually a *controlled drug*

As stated in my previous post some Vets are happy to allow clients to have a supply of certain medication at home to be used *for a specific named Rabbit* whom the Vet has examined. These items must not be administered to other Rabbits without consulting a Vet.

Information about the laws governing Controlled Drugs here

http://www.bsava.com/Advice/BSAVAGu...icines/ControlledDrugs/tabid/362/Default.aspx

I think it is important to note that the items in red bold font are Prescription Only Drugs and Vetergesic is actually a *controlled drug*

As stated in my previous post some Vets are happy to allow clients to have a supply of certain medication at home to be used *for a specific named Rabbit* whom the Vet has examined. These items must not be administered to other Rabbits without consulting a Vet.

Information about the laws governing Controlled Drugs here

http://www.bsava.com/Advice/BSAVAGu...icines/ControlledDrugs/tabid/362/Default.aspx

Yes, I do know that Jane. I have them though and my vets are aware of this. I always consult a vet before administering medication unless perscribed.

Yes, I do know that Jane. I have them though and my vets are aware of this. I always consult a vet before administering medication unless perscribed.

I was just highlighting the POMs so as anyone else reading this thread (it is not only viewable to RU members) will understand the 'legalities' so-to-speak. I was/am not implying that you do not :) <<<<<<<<< that emoticon makes my want to throw a punch !! :lol:

I have a very mixed kit as it works for everything from the ratties/piggles/bunnies to my ponies. I have all sorts of sterile bandaging and the crepe stuff that adheres to itself and sudocrem, aloe cream, tea tree oil, syringes in all sorts of sizes, sterile water (eye wash type), iodine solutions, baby foods (veggie ones for piggles and others for ratties, they werent keen on the veggie ones), scissors of different sizes (all round ended) purple spray (for horses, never heard of small animal equivalent) camrosa, sterile saline solution, nail cutters (and everything I need to remove a half off shoe safely for my horses...) various powders for the horses (louse powders/mudfever powders allsorts!) cotton wool pads, pet safe wipes and baby wipes, shampoos, got a little probiotic, should get some more next time I go to the vets as I think its going out of date, ice heat packs (human, not safe to be left with pets but works well when theyre on your lap or very closely supervised so they're not chewed)

I have just realised my hibiscrub is in the shed with the horses so I should get some for here...

I do have infacol and various human things, but thats mostly because my own first aid kit is stocked with them too!

I keep seperate pet towels, because Im never sure how safe detergents are for pets (some irritate my skin, dont want to do that to a pet) and they are washed on a hot wash after a vinegar soak and I hope that cleans out anything on them, if im not convinced they get thrown out. I also have disposable gloves and overalls for anything that may be messy/contageous. Ive never had pets needing to have any prescription meds at home, other than a few bits for the horses, although we tend to use herbal alternatives where possible.

Having used things from it for my piggles, my bunnies my ratties and my horses I wouldnt want to be without it. I dread to think how much it would cost in vet trips for the horses especially with all the times they have minor issues, like one managed to half throw a shoe and get the nail in the foot, needed the shoe off and the whole foot sterilised, poulticed up and left to draw anything out. Vet checked a couple of days later, was fine and no meds needed, could have been much worse if we hadnt cleaned it and sorted straight away. wouldnt be without it, but then I also carry a human first aid kit most places with me :lol:

Back