• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So, it didn't work out :( *long post alert*

*Red*

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

After a couple of rough days, unfortunately on Monday evening the girls and Mickey had to be separated following a fight :cry: Following discussions with Jill and Becky yesterday, their advice was not to try and bond again, which if I’m honest, I didn’t want to after their little spat.

My girls are a little unsteady, I came home early yesterday (to top things off my boiler’s gone and died) to find a couple of little clumps of what I think was Mouse’s fur :( Luckily due to it being so cold in mine at the moment, they now seem to be huddling together for warmth if nothing else as they’re used to it being toasty hot! Anyway, after the emergency plumber left last night (with said boiler still not fixed) I went and collected some more C&C grids to give Mango & Mouse, and Mickey a larger space.

The girls do not have full access to their room because I need to neutralise it properly once again, and their nerves need to settle and their bond needs to get back to what it was. Unfortunately Mouse was quite content with Mickey so I think she’s missing him a little. So, for the moment I’ve moved their pen to another corner of the room and given them a little more space, approx. 4.5ft by 3.5ft and gave them some of their old toys back pre-Mickey days. Bought a couple of new blankets and neutralised their litter tray, and they’ve seemed to relax a little more now.

As for Mickey, he’s in my Lounge. Having moved my dining table and chairs into my bedroom, I dug out a medium dog crate that my friend had left in her loft, and attached a little C&C pen to it, which I made a bit bigger last night. Gave him a little box with a pillow in it, and a cuddly rabbit to snuggle up with. Gave him one of the little tunnels that I’d bought for all of them which hadn’t been used before.

All buns are eating well which is a good sign and I’m checking daily for any wounds that I might have missed.

I know the situation’s not ideal, Mickey did seem a little bewildered on Monday night and Tuesday morning. He loves his nose rubs and he had snuggles last night with me on the sofa, in fact he fell asleep leaning against my arm! :love: As I said he got quite attached to Mouse, and I hate to even write this but I have to admit that in the week they were all together with me, him and Mouse were more ‘together’ than Mango and Mouse have ever shown signs of being :cry: That said, Mango actually groomed Mouse last night :love: so hopefully she’s grateful to have Mouse back to herself. For those of you that know Mango, you’ll know she’s a bit of a difficult rabbit. She’s very much a rabbity rabbit, and she’s stubborn as hell.

For the moment Mickey’s staying with me. While I totally appreciate this may make giving him up if/when it comes to it ten times harder, he can no longer return to Becky’s and would have to be fostered out to somebody else, which is probably going to confuse him more. He’s still going to be on his own for the moment wherever he goes. He is my responsability that I took on and while obviously the plan was to have a loved-up trio, I don’t take giving him back lightly. On the other hand, I’m aware that I need to make my girls as comfortable as they were previously, and that he can’t stay on his own in the long run, especially now he’s known the ups and downs of other bunnies.

I feel like I've let them all down in so many ways, but obviously there's no changing what's happened and hindsight is a wonderful thing.

While I try and figure out exactly what my options are (re: space, time, financially and emotionally) and what’s best for all three rabbits, at least right now he’s safe, gets snuggles of an evening and is well fed. That’s more than thousands of other bunnies out there at the moment unfortunately. Fingers crossed my girls continue to form that close bond again, and we’ll work this out, somehow. If Mickey has to go then that’s okay, if that’s what’s best for him, Mango & Mouse.

I took a few quick piccies last night..

P1030533.jpg

P1030532.jpg

P1030536.jpg

P1030534.jpg

I just wanted to let you know that You, Mickey, Mouse and Mango are all in my thoughts at the moment.

Please dont feel like you have failed them you tried and you werent to know that it wouldnt work out in the end. I am sure Becky, Vicky, Jill and others on here will agree that you are a wonderful bunny mummy and were trying to do right by giving Mickey a forever home with other buns.

I have no constructive comments etc but I just wanted to send lots of hugs to you all.

hopefully they will all settle back down soon, and like you have said Mickey is currently safe warm fed and loved whilst he is with you, if only for a temporary time like you said he is able to be more settled than moving again.

Positive thoughts and vibes being sent your way xx

I just wanted to let you know that You, Mickey, Mouse and Mango are all in my thoughts at the moment.

Please dont feel like you have failed them you tried and you werent to know that it wouldnt work out in the end. I am sure Becky, Vicky, Jill and others on here will agree that you are a wonderful bunny mummy and were trying to do right by giving Mickey a forever home with other buns.

I have no constructive comments etc but I just wanted to send lots of hugs to you all.

hopefully they will all settle back down soon, and like you have said Mickey is currently safe warm fed and loved whilst he is with you, if only for a temporary time like you said he is able to be more settled than moving again.

Positive thoughts and vibes being sent your way xx

Thanks Bee, I really appreciate that your message. I take things so personally, I seem to keep replaying Monday night's events in my head and wish it worked out differently. It all started out so promisingly too :( I can't bring myself to look at the photos from Vicky when she started to bond them.

I don't know if I'm doing the right thing, but I can only try. Becky and I will make sure we're in touch every few days, and we'll work it out. He's her baby as much as mine, and my munchkins may be pains sometimes, but every bunny needs to be happy.

Just need to figure out how xx

It is very hard not to take things personally, I know I do and even things that I shouldnt I still get uspet over so I can only begin to think how you are feeling .. I just want you to know that you shouldnt feel that way.

Becky and Vicky wouldnt have agreed to try out the bond with your 2 and Mickey if they had concerns, you werent to know it was going to happen.

I totally agree that all buns deserve to be happy and I have every confidence that you and Becky will do everything right by all 3 buns.

I hope a solution comes up very quickly. xxx

Sarah you did all you could and to split to prevent serious injury was the right thing to do. You asked for advice from those who know the rabbits and you trust, and you did everyhting right. Lets hope Mickey is soon in a home with another bun,,,,if you give him up!
hugs to you and noserubs to all the bunnies xx

Thanks Jill, and I really can't thank you enough for the numerous conversations we've had over the last few days xx

I'm so sorry it didn't work out, but you are in no way to blame. Sending hugs to you and noserubs for the buns. xxx

They all look well in the photos and I hope something suitable can be worked out for Mickey soon. In the meantime he is in good hands. :thumb:

(((hugs)))

I know you're feeling like poo right now :( and what with the heating packing up on top of everything else it's been a horrible week for you :(

However, all three buns are warm and safe and so are you and that's the main thing :D

The 'three's a crowd' thing was always a risk and I know you were aware of this but it doesn't make it any easier when it happens :( and I'm really really sorry it hasn't worked out in this instance :( You didn't do anything wrong, it's just one of those things. As you say, Mango isn't a particularly laid back bun and it seems she's not happy sharing a friend! They're all different, just as we are.

Maybe you can look to re-home Mickey locally, to a friend who is prepared to give him the right environment (a friend etc). That way you can do the home check yourself and have some say in his accommodation etc.

Thinking of you xx

Oh no Sarah, I had no idea. :( I'd been wondering how it was all going too. :cry::cry:

I'm so sorry - as you know I tried to introduce another bunny to my two; I gave up much earlier on in the bonding process :oops: but I still know just how upsetting it is. Hugs to you; I'm always around if you want to chat. x

Sarah, as you know i was very suprised when you called me yesterday, and, as you could probably tell i was upset. Its very hard to remain head straight when i have let myself get so attached to Mickey, and i know i won't/can't let it happen with another foster rabbit.

I am happy to take Mickey back this weekend if thats what you decide is best for him/you/the girls. He can go in our hallway as a temp measure until Hugo can be moved to another fosterer. I don't want anyone thinking we haven't offered to take Mickey back, as that isn't the case. Any rabbit of ours is always welcome back at the branch, obviously it may not be with the same fosterer, but there would always be a space for any of our buns to return should the situation arise.

As i said on the phone, i am also happy for you to keep Mickey for a short period by himself, before finding him a friend in Spring when Mouse/Mango move outdoors, or vice versa. Mickey was fine here when he was himself all day, i am generally out all day, he used to enjoy human attention of an evening. For short term, i think this is adequate.

Once thing i cannot decide is what i want you to do. I am happy either way, but we do need to know. I would hate for you to keep Mickey at yours for months if you feel you cannot offer him a forever home.

Maybe you can look to re-home Mickey locally, to a friend who is prepared to give him the right environment (a friend etc). That way you can do the home check yourself and have some say in his accommodation etc.

This isn't an option - he will need to come back to us. Sarah has signed an agreement to say if she can no longer care for Mickey he is to come back to the RSPCA.

This isn't an option - he will need to come back to us. Sarah has signed an agreement to say if she can no longer care for Mickey he is to come back to the RSPCA.

yes to make it clear..I think Jen may well have meant with your back up
but just in case I want to stress Honeybunnies Rescue do not support people passing on /rehoming adopted rabbits themselves..they MUST contact the rescue concerned and follow the rescue's policies

yes to make it clear..I think Jen may well have meant with your back upbut just in case I want to stress Honeybunnies Rescue do not support people passing on /rehoming adopted rabbits themselves..they MUST contact the rescue concerned and follow the rescue's policies

I did & sorry that this wasn't clear :oops: I just meant that maybe Sarah could offer to homecheck in her area on behalf of the RSPCA so that Mickey didn't have to move more than was necessary.

Oh dear. Thats a shame. I'm worried as i rescued daisy from sspca with the intention of bonding her with my other bunny jack. She is recovering from her spay so nothing has been attempted yet but i have to say i'm not too optimistic. Jack is interested in daisy and sits with his nose poking through daisys bars waiting to be groomed. She completely ignores him :( and after an accident where they both got out at the same time she hurt his ear. If it doesnt work she will need to go back. Really dont want this to happen as im quite fond of her and she's come a long way since we brought her home but jack is our priority. Hoping it works out.

Back