• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My local rabbit hutch maker - advice on approaching with advice

Aliswan

Warren Scout
I have recently found a company less than 5 minutes from my house which makes custom made hutches and kennels. I popped round this morning to have a look around and see what they have and if it's any good, although I'm not looking to buy but just wanted to be nosey lol.

So I pulled up outside and saw a line of hutches out the front, ranging from about 3ft to 6ft doubles. They look very good quality but the size of the small ones really concerned me even though the 3ft was labelled a guinea pig hutch it still seems far too small as a permanent home (in all honesty I do own a 3ft hutch, which I've had for many years in the attic since I had a guinea pig when I was little, it has been modified so it doesn't have a divider panel and only has 1 door so is always open and will be used as a base inside their 6x4ft shed).

I don't know the people that run in but joined their facebook page (not sure if I can share it here or not...) and had a look at their other products and there are some amazing things but there are still these little tiny hutches available...

So my question is how am I best approaching them to encourage them to not sell anything smaller than a 6x2x2 hutch? Or am I being a bit fussy as seen as the small ones are labelled as being for guinea pigs not rabbits? My worry is that they are very cheaply priced so people may just buy them for rabbits anyway.

to be fair on the joiner hes marked them up for guinea's thats all he can do also shows he knows thier too small for rabbits. its the customers choice not his.

Piggies should really be in 4x2ft....

If you can find a good source, (is there an rwaf-type organisation for piggies?) I would show them, but you cant expect them to not sell smaller than 6ft, as they have to cater for piggies as well. But they might get rid of the 3ft ones if you have a good case.

Piggies should really be in 4x2ft....

If you can find a good source, (is there an rwaf-type organisation for piggies?) I would show them, but you cant expect them to not sell smaller than 6ft, as they have to cater for piggies as well. But they might get rid of the 3ft ones if you have a good case.

Good point about the 6ft hutches and in fairness to him he has a lot of them on show on his page and they do look fab! I have big plans for my outdoor space when I finally move out with my boyfriend! I really don't know much about piggies but 3ft just looks so small especially next to the bigger ones, maybe people will see the bigger ones and think, well I may as well pay a little bit more for a lot more space...

He sells lots of pet supplies too so I've emailed him to ask if he can get hold of megazorb as i'd love to be able to just get it from a shop rather than online, we'll wait and see, I might just drop in a question about hutch sizes when he replies too just to see if he sells many small ones.

I saw on his facebook page that there's a 2 week waiting list for hutches so he must be reasonably busy.

Also he sells collapsible runs which look great quality, he says he can make any size from 3ftx3ft upwards prices starting from £29, although that size is too small for buns I think the prices are reasonable so maybe welfare of rabbits in my area will increase because he's making things so affordable...I think I'm going to start sharing his page with people I know who have or are thinking about getting rabbits!

Well he labeled them for piggies which means he knows that it it too small for rabbits. Or, like what you said you had done, he may make them as a small base home in a shed or play house etc :)

Back