• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone else finding their rabbits refusing greens at present?

AnyBunny

Warren Scout
Ours seem to have been turning their noses up at them for weeks, whether they come from Morrisons or Sainsbury, but are eating everything else as normal.

Mine are still eating them but arent as keen as normal, they ate half this morning then moved onto their hay. Whcih I dont mind cuz its hay

the only thing our lass sticks her nose up at latly is apples any type ,maybe its a season thing ? shes fairly fussy to start with tho to be fair lol x

Mine's been leaving his spring greens for a month or so now, but still eats everything else in sight. Sometimes it takes him all day just to eat one leaf, and other days he doesn't even finish that, when before he'd have 2 or 3 and eat them as soon as given to him. I just thought he must be getting bored of having them every day :lol:

Mine don't get fresh greens over winter. I thinkit must be quite natural for them to not have fresh veg in winter as it's not naturally available anyway.

Yes, I've definitely noticed more refusals. I keep thinking that it's a really nice leaf I'm giving them and then they don't even sniff it :roll:

Some buns are eating them more than others. Shadow (dental bun) still eats chops greens like he's been starves but Tink and Ru barely touch greens at the moment.

This last week there has been more interest in them though.

I'm refusing some of the spring greens I'm buying myself! :D It's not great quality at the moment, so that's probably why.

Mine's been leaving his spring greens for a month or so now, but still eats everything else in sight. Sometimes it takes him all day just to eat one leaf, and other days he doesn't even finish that, when before he'd have 2 or 3 and eat them as soon as given to him. I just thought he must be getting bored of having them every day :lol:

Same here! :wave:

I'm refusing some of the spring greens I'm buying myself! :D It's not great quality at the moment, so that's probably why.

Same here. Buns and guineas are not as keen and it seems paler in colour at the moment. Perhaps the weather isn't great for a greens crop. Kale seems to be popular here still.

Poor Spenser has been deprived of his greens for what feels like ages. :( He only gets herbs, and last week he wouldn't eat any of the types I bought him. Today I have bought him parsley from Tesco, which is usually a great favourite but I try to give him herbs with a lower calcium content.

Definitely less enthusiasm here - I find myself cutting bits off that are green enough but not to green, that are not to soft but not crunchy!:roll: Ummmm ... they so have me wrapped around their little paws!:lol::lol:

No. Last night I'd been cooking with chillies and spices and despite washing my hands loads, they still smelt of curry:oops: so I didn't give them their greens in case they smelt/tasted horrible. When I went to check they were ok for the night, Oliver came bounding over expecting his usual treat, and just sort of looked at me (I swear with a disgusted look on his face) when I didn't have any. Felt so guilty.

But they had some this morning and troughed them in record time. DEfinitely no refusal of greens here :wave:

I thinkit must be quite natural for them to not have fresh veg in winter as it's not naturally available anyway.
Wild rabbits don't get hay deliveries through winter. ;) They have to continue foraging as normal. I admit I don't bother putting grass in to mine at the moment but that's mainly because it's frozen, there's little goodness in it and they aren't bothered. But if they were living wild, they would - they'd just have to eat more of it - and there are plenty of weeds hugging the ground so they'd just require a bit of close gnawing. And supplement with any leaves available, bark, etc.

Mine are still enthusiastic for the dark leaves of Savoy cabbage and the like.

Wild rabbits don't get hay deliveries through winter. ;) They have to continue foraging as normal. I admit I don't bother putting grass in to mine at the moment but that's mainly because it's frozen, there's little goodness in it and they aren't bothered. But if they were living wild, they would - they'd just have to eat more of it - and there are plenty of weeds hugging the ground so they'd just require a bit of close gnawing. And supplement with any leaves available, bark, etc.

Mine are still enthusiastic for the dark leaves of Savoy cabbage and the like.

True but I guess it wouldn't be the new growth. I expect they be still eating mainly grass which we substitute with hay. :)

Last winter mine had herbs every day throughout and we had two or three stasis episodes with Smudge. This year they've only had apple twigs and a handful here and there of foraged and home dried food (or bought in dried dandelion and plantain) and the only time he's refused food was when he was sulking cos Nutmeg was getting meds in banana and he wasn't. :roll:

Yes mine have both been picky for the last month/6 weeks or so. They usually wolf them down but now they eat a good amount and come back to it later, often leaving some. I've tried aldi, morrisons, tesco, sainsburys and the 2 nearby local produce shops - nothing seems to help. They have favourites that come and go, parsley and coriander being a favourite that stays. Sometimes they prefer savoy cabbage over other types of greens, sometimes they leave it entirely for example. I've tried bringing the veg inside to a warmer place but that doesn't seem to help much really either. I don't really know what's going on, perhaps we the veg just isn't as tasty this time of year?

Cookie is generally a fussy madam and sometimes leaves certain bits of veg but the other night she didnt want any of it and carried on eating hay like it was going out of fashion!:lol:

Back