• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My 3 year old rabbit has died?

suzykby

New Kit
I got up to let my rabbits out this morning and found my 3 year old female dwarf rabbit (Zoe) dead. I really don’t know what happened especially as I have always considered her to be the healthiest one. She did seem a little off the night before but that was only because she was in her bed with the other two when usually she is running around on the shed floor. I just thought she might have been a bit colder than usual as it was -3 last night. I have three rabbits Jack who is 10, Roxy who is 4 and there was Zoe who was 3. They live in a rabbit hutch within a concrete shed which is basically an extension on our house. They get let out of the shed everyday to run round our mega secure garden and put back in at night. I just really do not know what could of happened to her and would just like to ask if anybody has any ideas? I am devastated, have been thinking I might lose Jack soon as he is old but really did not think about losing Zoe. She really was the one that was always running round the garden and enjoying life?

A post mortem may give the cause of death, although they're not always conclusive. I would only consider one if I was concerned for my other buns having ruled out VHD if they were vaccinated against that.

Did they have plenty of hay to snuggle into?

To be hones, there are so many causes and potential reasons it's an unknown, especially if you noticed she was off last night because that indicates a slightly longer ongoing problem than something that just happened overnight.

A PM would maybe tell you more than we can. I would suggest watching the other bunnies closely given you're not sure what it is.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Binky Free Zoe.

A post mortem may give the cause of death, although they're not always conclusive. I would only consider one if I was concerned for my other buns having ruled out VHD if they were vaccinated against that.

Did they have plenty of hay to snuggle into?

To be hones, there are so many causes and potential reasons it's an unknown, especially if you noticed she was off last night because that indicates a slightly longer ongoing problem than something that just happened overnight.

A PM would maybe tell you more than we can. I would suggest watching the other bunnies closely given you're not sure what it is.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Binky Free Zoe.

I closed IE when typing my ETA to my post :roll:

What these two say! :thumb:

Run free at the Bridge little one.

Last edited:
The bedding compartment of their hutch was filled with hay and have plenty of hay in the rack to eat aswell. Both the other rabbits seem fine at the momment. Thank you for your suggestions i will speak to my vet today I think.

The exact thing happened to my Misty before christmas, she was also 3. Always the healthiest one and was acting just fine the day/evening before, and she just passed overnight.

All up to date on vaccines and the vet just suggested she had a weak heart so I kept an eye on Sweep (a very close one at that!) and he was fine. A sad mystery. We didn't want a PM done on her as she looked so peaceful so we buried her straight-away.

Your two should be more able to cope with a death of a partner as they have each other, but still keep an extra eye on them over the next few weeks.

Thank you for your comments. I will definately be keeping a very close eye on my other bunnies. It could be the case of a weak heart or organs I suppose, my other half has always considered her to be a bit of a runt and she was never as big as my other dwarf. Thank you again for your comments, I am just truly gutted!

Back