• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bonded pair & visiting the vet - Do I take both?

Britannia

Warren Scout
I'm due to take Kizzy in for her Mixy shot - Do I take Bob along as well? They've never been apart since their first introduction. Bob tends to follow her around and seems to like to know where she is at all times.

If I take both, what sized carrier do I need? - they are mixed breed, both around 2.25kg.

Yep, it's usually recommended that you take both along. It may cause no problem to reintroduce them after, but if Kizzy comes home smelling different and possibly a bit lethargic/grumpy coz of her injection, you never know whether it might spark a fight. A little carrier ride won't hurt Bob and it will only strengthen their bond!

Most people use a large cat carrier, I personally use a small guinea pig cage around 70cm long by 30/40cm wide (although mine are both bigger than yours). A cheap wilko pet carrier will most likely do fine, but a lot of people recommend http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=953&pf_id=52107&co=fr, as it opens at the front and from the top. Definitely avoid wicker and fabric, stick to plastic and things that bunny can't nibble through!

It's generally a good idea, to be on the safe side that their bond isn't affected, and so that they can keep one another company at what may be a stressful time.

Are they both having the jab on the same day? Or is one already vaccinated?

I have transported two slightly smaller buns in:

http://www.hoppingmad.org/E3/carrierreview.htm
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/atlas-wire-door-open-top-cat-and-small-dog-carrier-by-ferplast-13651
The latter is roomier. There are probably cheaper and better places to buy it (Atlas 30 Open top) than PAH.

Mine have been bonded for 3 years & never ever been separated.I was told to always take them together when they were bonded at the rescue.Personally I think thats how it should be.Mine have a cat/small dog carrier.Its really big & heavy but I need it as B is a frenchie & Dill weighs 3.6kg.Alot of cat carriers only hold 4.6kg which is no good for me as B & Dill weigh approx 8kg combined.:D

Majority of the time I take mine together, but the are sisters and have been together since birth! In last 4 yrs I've only ever taken them 3/4 times separately, usually quickies!

However, I think Smudge would rather I leave her at home!!! She hates the vets and it's usually Harley that needs them!!!

I take mine together. They don't mind the vets but don't like the car, so they snuggle together in the carrier for comfort. I use a medium sized cat carrier.

Thanks guys.
I think I have a carrier that's big enough, if not I'll invest in a new one - hopfully I'll be using it for many years to come. Luckily the vet's is only ten minutes down the road, Kizzy seems a little stressed by car travel where as Bob just seems to stretch out and chill. Bob isn't due his jab for a couple of months yet, but I'll see about booking a double appointment just for a quick once over for him. I'm a little worried that Bob maybe putting on a bit too much weight. My other half thinks it's just his 'winter' coat but they are indoor buns and their coats are lovely thick and glossy at the moment but even so.... Unfortunately my scales aren't that accurate.

You may as well get him checked over while you're doing. I got my carrier from Zooplus. It's great - it has a top and end opening which is very useful and it fits both of my girls in easily although they are relatively small buns.

My girls are indoors but have really thick coats at the minute as well - I suppose the heating is off all day and night except a few hours in the morning and evening so they must have grown it for the cold.

Back