• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

If you're thinking of getting your pets insured, do it now!

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
Nena is poorly, she has GI slowdown/the start of stasis. She's improving now, and has been at home with me. I took her to the emergency vets last night at 10/11pm and again today. That's cost me nearly £200, the entire cost of 12 months insurance for BOTH rabbits. If you're thinking about it and keep putting it off, do it! I'm so glad I had mine. £50 excess is all I'll have to pay, which is a lot less than £200 :) She may need several more injections of gut stimulant, so the cost may even be more.

Totally agree! I got a payout of £176 for little Beatrix's snuffles tests & treatment, and only ever paid them about £17 for her (before she died of something else)

ETA: Oops, forgot the original purpose of my post: Does your vet not give you metaclopramide to take away and mouth-syringe to her? Would save you a few journeys.

In just two weeks I got refunded:

£980 for Parsley 'ahem' prvate parts problem;

£380 for surgery on Parsley Piert's fight wounds

£250 for severe stassis for Nutmeg . .

So I agree get your Insurance now!!!

Totally agree, a year or so ago one of mine had snuffles/respiratory and tooth infection that required referral and he cost me £1500 but i only paid £50 excess and then recently and ongoing one of my other bunnies has pneumonia and so far has cost me £1900 due to referral and various tests etc and is now on depocillin injections every other day for an unknown period of time so the bills will keep coming (not that i mind, they are my babies lol) :)

Yep, in agreement here too. We haven't claimed it yet because Teddy is still at the vets, but our bill is several hundred pounds so far.

wheres the best place to get insured and how much usually?

Lots of people here use PetPlan. I pay something like £24 a month for 2 bunnies. I wasn't able to insure my oldest one and paid about £800 for treatment before he very sadly had to be pts. So, yes, insure!

Lots of people here use PetPlan. I pay something like £24 a month for 2 bunnies. I wasn't able to insure my oldest one and paid about £800 for treatment before he very sadly had to be pts. So, yes, insure!

thats pretty good :) and its worth it right? im hopefully getting a bun maybe two soon :) so im just pricing things up at the mo :) im guessing insurance is to cover the vet bills and you just pay half of it or something? never insurance anything so i wouldnt know xx

thats pretty good :) and its worth it right? im hopefully getting a bun maybe two soon :) so im just pricing things up at the mo :) im guessing insurance is to cover the vet bills and you just pay half of it or something? never insurance anything so i wouldnt know xx

I'm with petplan and they cost me £17.16 a month for both buns. My excess is £50 (the standard amount) so for each separate condition I only pay £50 each calendar year for her treatment. For instance, if she picked up a lifelong condition I'd only pay £50 towards the the payment of treatment for that condition, basically no matter what she needed. Alternative therapy like physiotherapy and acupuncture has a separate excess of something like £75. Each new condition is classed seperately, so for instance an abcess and a broken leg would each have separate excesses. With petplan, no matter how much you claim the cost you pay per month never goes up. So it'll be £17.16 (roughly) a month for both bunnies, no matter how old they get. :thumb:

I'm with petplan and they cost me £17.16 a month for both buns. My excess is £50 (the standard amount) so for each separate condition I only pay £50 each calendar year for her treatment. For instance, if she picked up a lifelong condition I'd only pay £50 towards the the payment of treatment for that condition, basically no matter what she needed. Alternative therapy like physiotherapy and acupuncture has a separate excess of something like £75. Each new condition is classed seperately, so for instance an abcess and a broken leg would each have separate excesses. With petplan, no matter how much you claim the cost you pay per month never goes up. So it'll be £17.16 (roughly) a month for both bunnies, no matter how old they get. :thumb:

ahh :) i get it now :) totally gonna get that :) :thumb: epically im a Uni student and im hoping to get a part time job xx

On the subject of it not rising, I think ours goes up about 80p a year for both bunnies, we pay approx £23 a month for both. By the time we've claimed for Ted's current illness (he's in with stasis at the moment :cry:) we'll have claimed about £1000. We've spent about £650 on the cover up to now so well worth it.

On the subject of it not rising, I think ours goes up about 80p a year for both bunnies, we pay approx £23 a month for both. By the time we've claimed for Ted's current illness (he's in with stasis at the moment :cry:) we'll have claimed about £1000. We've spent about £650 on the cover up to now so well worth it.

its worth it :) how is Ted? x

Tried to get a quote from petplan online but the website claims they don't insure rabbits over 4 years of age so won't be wasting any more time with them. Are therre any other places that offer a rabbit insurance service, I don't fancy pets at home?

Tried to get a quote from petplan online but the website claims they don't insure rabbits over 4 years of age so won't be wasting any more time with them. Are therre any other places that offer a rabbit insurance service, I don't fancy pets at home?

Exotics Direct, but I think PAH are the only ones who issue new policies for older buns.

i tried that too ): and it said the same to me too

They can put the premiums up in the future, pet plan has changed its dog policies over the years. With pet insurance they renew the cover every year. When they increased my dogs insurance to almost double the premium they said it was because more people are claiming and vet treatment is getting more expensive.

:thumb: A few months after insuring Cutie-pie the emergency vets, treatment and an over night stay was 498.00. :shock: I guess Surrey is much more expensive.

I recently spoke to the manager at my local Blue Cross and he said that theor bunnies come complete with 4 weeks pet Insurance from PetPlan AND that this can then be continued (by payments as usual) by the new owner even if the rabbit is over 5 years old when first adopted.

They do insure rabbits over 4 years of age BUT you have to start the insurance before that age (which is sad if you only got the rabbit when it was older).

No use for now (presuming your bun already over the age limit) but see my other post about adoption buns above.

Back