• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving house, vaccinations?

o-Chloe-o

Mama Doe
Hi Everyone

I will be moving house soon, to somewhere much more rural Im pleased to say :D When we went to view it there were wild bunnies running through the garden, which obviously meant for me it was a yes straight away :lol: Anyway although its wonderful to see them there, it has made me think about vaccinations for my two, as I understand with wild bunnies about its even more risky for my bunnies...

Domino had Myxi vaccination August 2011 & VHD Sept 2011 (booklet says Myxi is due Feb 2012 so will get that done anyway soon and VHD not until Sept 2012).
Jessica had both in May 2011 (booklet says due in May 2012)

Would anyone advise taking them in for vaccs before we move at the end of this month or will this be unneccessary do you think? I would hate for them to get ill but if it says not due till May/Sept 2012 then do I just go and get it done then?

They live inside at the moment, and I plan to still keep them inside until we get a proper bunny shed sorted for them in the summer time.

Any help appreciated, Thanks in advance!!

xxx

I would ignore the May 2012 date and get them both done in Feb - the May 2012 one sounds as if the vet doing it only advises annual vaccinations whereas most now recommend every 6 months. If you're moving to somewhere much higher risk, I would advise getting them both done so they are fully covered, as the vaccination has been shown to only be effective for 6 months hence the usual recommendation for vacc 2x annually these days.

I would make sure they're both done at least a couple of weeks before moving if you can.

I expect to be in a similar situation later this year (and am currently holding out for the new vaccine) but if the new vaccine was delayed and I had to move before it was released, then I'd get the old types.

Will be moving in 2 weeks today, it is a very expensive business this! Ill speak to the vet practice tomorrow and try and get it arranged x

Is it safe to bring forward VHD or are you just talking about the myxi vacc? I know myxi can be done at a 6 monthly interval but I'd not heard VHD could be done twice a year.

Is it safe to bring forward VHD or are you just talking about the myxi vacc? I know myxi can be done at a 6 monthly interval but I'd not heard VHD could be done twice a year.

If this is the case Ill just get myxi vacc for both maybe? Then get vhd at the dates I was told? xx

Yes, that's what I meant in my post above but I didn't make clear, sorry! I would do both myxi vaccs now and then do the 2 VHD when they are next due as normal. Good luck with the move x

Yes, that's what I meant in my post above but I didn't make clear, sorry! I would do both myxi vaccs now and then do the 2 VHD when they are next due as normal. Good luck with the move x

Ok cool makes sense, will definitely get that arranged.Thank you xxx

Back