• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Naughty bunny?.......

Lauren xx

New Kit
Hi,

I have posted a while back about the behavior of my handsome french lop 'Dylan'. He is so destructive and totally ignores the word 'no'. A few weeks ago i thought we were getting somewhere, he would respond when i told him 'no', however now he pays no attention at all and carries on with what he's doing. He chews absolutely anything he can get his paws on!!! I give him things like cardboard boxes and toys to chew on but he doesn't want them, he wants everything that he cant have. Recently he has started to become very destructive in his den aswell, he picks up his litter tray with his teeth and throws it around and picks up his heavy china food bowl and throws it around!!

He's just over a year old and is nutured, i have got to know his moods now and i know he loves me in his own little way but i cant seem to be able to train him and get him out of these behaviours, does anyone have any advice?

My last post was about his love of peeing on my bed!!!.................this is still not resolved. I feel as if i need a a rabbit trainer to come to my house almost like the dog whisperer lol.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.......................xxx

Does he have a friend?

I don't think he is being naughty, he is just being a bunny. He learnt what you didn't want him to do, and is choosing to do it anyway because what does he gain from listening to you? He might gain more attention from not listening to you.

It's up to you to block off the things and areas you don't want him chewing/accessing.

How much space does he have? Has he had a vet check if he is chewing lots of wood/cardboard?

Hi,

No he doesn't have a friend, just me!

I have blocked off most things but it becomes difficult as he is very strong and will move anything to get to what he wants. He is 16 months old, is he likely to grow out his destructiveness at all?

He has a 6ft by 6ft 'den' that my dad made him which is just for him to have his own space really with his food, water and litter etc, other than that he comes out and goes wherever he wants in my house, although mostly in the room that i'm in.

Yea i've taken him to the vet and advised the vet of eveything that he chews, the vet doesn't seem all that bothered to be honest!!

Has anyone ever tried the stop chewing spray? i'm wondering if that would work, i do doubt it though.

Lauren

I think getting him his own lady friend could be very beneficial.

The non chew spray is often scented like bitter apples. Of course, bunnies love apples. I have yet to find a spray that works. I just block things off and resign myself to losing things to chewing.

He sounds like he is bored. My bun is a very destructive bun and always has been. He was less destructive when he was in my living room because he got so much attention. As soon as I moved back with my parents he had to go into my bedroom and became very destructive and also aggressive. I was very worried that I was doing something wrong but he was healthy but clearly not happy. I got him a friend and he calmed down but still chewed things, just not as much and was a lot less aggressive. Unfortunately I lost his wifebun last year and he has resumed his aggressive and destructive behaviour even though he gets so many toys and puzzle balls and has free range of my bedroom. It sounds like your bun is just in need of a wife! Hopefully he will calm down unless you get another naughty bun :lol: Generally a naughty bun will be distracted enough by a friend not to think of chewing everything he shouldn't. Fiver definitely chews and bar bites for attention, it breaks my heart.

I hope this helps explaining a little of why Dylan may be chewing things he shouldn't. You could always try to find something he really likes to chew such as the edible houses and logs?

Thank you for that, Dylan is in my bedroom too as i am at home with my parents too and i always worried that he was bored! i did think about getting him a friend but being selfish i thought that i wouldn't get as much attention from him if i got another one.

I'll be moving out soon so i will probably look at getting him a 'wife' and hope that that helps, i feel awful thinking that he may be bored, bless him! Only want him to be happy.

Thank you

It's good you can recognise that you potentially put your needs above his with regards to him having a friend. What does your gut instinct say would be best for him?

Incidentally, my very people bunnies have always remained people bunnies, even with a friend. It was only bunny bunnies that withdrew from me when having a friend. From where I stand though, it doesn't matter as long as they are happy :)

Make sure he's had his fill of hay before letting him about. If he has a full stomach, he won't misbehave so much!

Directing their attention to something else often helps, apple twigs for something good to chew on, lots of good quality hay to keep busy nibbling on. Saying no and giving attention to the bad behaviour may well make things worse.

Back