• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advise needed regarding next doors rabbits UD - Question P29

xxranxx

Alpha Buck
so a while ago i posted about neighbours getting to buns in a 3 foot hutch they actually bought the rabbits a two tier hutch still to small but an improvement. anyway i looked out of the window yesterday to see two medium sized lops in an indoor cage outside in this freezing weather when snow on the ground! so they must be pet sitting or something anyway i gave them the benefit of the doubt and thought they might of put them out while hoovering or something. but they were out even when it started raining she put a towel over cage! and left them out all night! they have no bolt hole or sheltered bit just a pigloo thing which i doubt they would fit in and some of those wooden log bridge also too small to get under by the looks of it which also take up a lot of the tiny floor space!. they aren't very nice people and wouldn't respond to me popping round and i can only see them from upstairs window so they would know its me if i report them or anything does anyone have any tactful ways i can go about it? i cant bare them to be out another night. they're probably indoor buns and are probably kept in that horrific cage all the time but at least indoor!

Last edited:
I had a very similar problem last summer when the neighbours behind me found a stray rabbit and kept it in an open run of fence without shelter in the rain. I plucked up courage and went round to them and had a conversation in which I pointed out the rabbit had no shelter and was it going to be another day/night or were they just temporarily looking after it? She was completely ignorant of a rabbit's need and with my encouragement we rang the RSPCA and reported it missing. I remember standing in her (big, posh) kitchen feeling completely intimidated but the RSPCA had had someone report it missing and the owner came within an hour to collect him. So I did the right thing, it scares me how ignorant people are of the needs of rabbits and other small animals. I have to say she isn't very friendly at the best of times and after this she just nods at me, but I can live with that ;)

However if as you say these neighbours aren't the friendliest either and you don't feel able to talk to them, I wouldn't hesitate to give the RSPCA a ring. Either way you have to speak out for the rabbits as they aren't able to. Do you have space in a shed or a spare tarpaulin you could pop round with to open dialogue?

I had a very similar problem last summer when the neighbours behind me found a stray rabbit and kept it in an open run of fence without shelter in the rain. I plucked up courage and went round to them and had a conversation in which I pointed out the rabbit had no shelter and was it going to be another day/night or were they just temporarily looking after it? She was completely ignorant of a rabbit's need and with my encouragement we rang the RSPCA and reported it missing. I remember standing in her (big, posh) kitchen feeling completely intimidated but the RSPCA had had someone report it missing and the owner came within an hour to collect him. So I did the right thing, it scares me how ignorant people are of the needs of rabbits and other small animals. I have to say she isn't very friendly at the best of times and after this she just nods at me, but I can live with that ;)

However if as you say these neighbours aren't the friendliest either and you don't feel able to talk to them, I wouldn't hesitate to give the RSPCA a ring. Either way you have to speak out for the rabbits as they aren't able to. Do you have space in a shed or a spare tarpaulin you could pop round with to open dialogue?

Thank you for replying :) my problem is they must be looking after the rabbits for someone (god knows who would let them look after any animal!) so they obviously dont care about them at all. i think if i go round and say something they will just ignore me and i will loose my temper :oops: i cant see them letting me take them as theyre someone elses that theyre "looking after" but i had thought of offering that after telling them how dangerous it is to put indoor bun outdoor with no winter coat built up and no shelter and all that but i have to also put my animals first and they are in the shed so no room, dont want to upset their bond with other buns about. i cant really offer to bring them into my house as my mum is allergic as is my OH so not really an option even if they did let me take them. im think maybe go round and just say..
" i cant help noticing you have 2 more buns in an indoor cage in the garden, do you know its really not suitable to keep them outside in as it has no shelter and if they are used to been kept indoors they wont have a winter coat which could make them very poorly with such a difference in temperature. Could you not bring them indoors or even into one of your outhouses for a bit of shelter? or even put them in that little hutch you bought when you got your buns its really far too small but it will provide more shelter and warmth than an indoor cage, they really are at risk of illness been so cold and exposed, especially if it rains or snows and they get wet."

if shes says no or has a go i was thinking along the lines of " im afraid i am going to have to report you to the RSPCA for cruelty as your not even meeting those rabbits needs and infact putting them at risk" ... And breatheeee and walk away ... what do you think?

I would not suggest using words like cruelty on a 1st encounter, regardless of what you think, it could be perceived as threatening, and just puts you in a confrontational situation.
It might be better to try the " I wondered if you were aware" etc etc, then depending on the response suggesting asking the RSPCA for advice. I don't condone for one moment any behaviour which can be seen as mistreatment, but you need to be very carefull about throwing words like cruelty about, even if we all know it is..

It is a difficult situation you're in and you do have to think of your personal safety. Do you know your neighbours at all? Would you feel comfortable speaking to them? I think only you can judge if they would be receptive to what they might perceive as your interfering. But to leave the rabbits out in an unsuitable cage - any time of year never mind about when it's so cold - isn't acceptable. Hmmm I don't know what to advise really, it depends how brave you're feeling. Do you have a blanket/tarpaulin you could take round and that would open the conversation up without you going in 'on the attack'? I'd be inclined to ring the RSPCA for advice and hope they might offer to come and take a look.

I would not suggest using words like cruelty on a 1st encounter, regardless of what you think, it could be perceived as threatening, and just puts you in a confrontational situation.
It might be better to try the " I wondered if you were aware" etc etc, then depending on the response suggesting asking the RSPCA for advice. I don't condone for one moment any behaviour which can be seen as mistreatment, but you need to be very carefull about throwing words like cruelty about, even if we all know it is..

Yes i wouldnt go round and say that straight off, sorry my post was a bit messy and un clear, that was only if they dont respond to friendly advice or start having a go about me going round, from my experience with rspca they wouldnt come out anyway, but if i go and give my advice and the buns are still out there my back up plan is to threaten calling the rspca i will remain calm and wont say it in a threatening manner at all but if they dont do anything about the buns thats the only other thing i could try

I would just ring the RSPCA straight off if they are leaving them out like that at night in this weather. It's not ignorance it's wilful neglect.

Okay...been thinking about this one as its very difficult to do the right thing without upsetting them and causing conflict....

Do you have a shed or garage where you can temporarily house the buns? If you can think of somewhere thats warmer you could knock on their door (where the buns are outside), be all smiley and helpful....

Say something along the lines of..."Hi I hope you dont mind me knocking but I noticed the bunnies are outside in this weather....do you want me to look after them in my garage? We have a fair bit of spare stuff and some warm bedding so could keep them out of the cold for you while its so bad"

They will probably go on to say its a friends buns but you could say "Oh I know, I knew you would never keep buns outside in such a bad cage, bless them if theyre outside and normally kept inside they must be freezing" Then just reitterate that you can offer them shelter while theyre in next doors care.

They may insist in keeping them outside on their premises, whereby you may have to explain more and it may get heated, but it will give them time to save face. If you go over being confrontational they will immediately shut down and become aggressive by response. If you let them keep their pride and make it that your helping them out you may stand more chance.

What on earth do they think they are doing :evil: RSPCA need to be involved in this. Tonight and tomorrow night are supposed to be the coldest nights of the winter, -7 predicted. I agree with Stator. Hope you can do something xx

i have called the rspca simply for some advise first off, they were very helpful and did say they would send an officer out as it is out of order but i do have to be very careful here so as not to fall out with people we have to live not only next door to but attatched to them :evil:
The rspca lady said if i can go round and tell them in the nicest way possible they need to be inside in that cage and its unacceptable to leave them out in an indoor cage and that they could quite quickly and easily become very ill due to the cold. she was very knowledgable and said even if they were in a hutch they should be in a shed or garage as its far too cold. i am now trying to pluck up some courage and words (nice and polite ones) to go round and advise, if the buns are still out and nothing is done then i am phoning the rspca back where i have left all my details ready to give the word and make it from an inquiery to a full on complaint/report.
i have no idea how to start off the conversation :oops:

Are there any other houses which could potentially see the bunnies, or if the RSPCA visited would they know for 100% certain that it was you that had complained? If it's possible that other houses could also see, I think I'd be inclined to get the RSPCA in direct - that way they might never know it was you, whereas if you talk to them and then the RSPCA turn up, they will know for sure that it was you, if you see what I mean? Poor bunnies, I wonder if their owner knows or cares that they have been put outside :cry:

gosh didn;t realise they where outdoors in an ndoor cage in this cold weather, hope the rspca can help out/advise, hope the rabbits will be ok, temperatures are due to drop belopw -6 in places tonight and possibly even lower still tomorrow night :cry:

Are there any other houses which could potentially see the bunnies, or if the RSPCA visited would they know for 100% certain that it was you that had complained? If it's possible that other houses could also see, I think I'd be inclined to get the RSPCA in direct - that way they might never know it was you, whereas if you talk to them and then the RSPCA turn up, they will know for sure that it was you, if you see what I mean? Poor bunnies, I wonder if their owner knows or cares that they have been put outside :cry:

This would be my worry. I have been in a similar situation and I called the RSPCA straight away as I knew my safety and my own pets safety would be put at risk should I upset these people..

Thanks for all the replies :) right i have been round and had a chat with the lady (shes the nicest its her OH who can be horrible)
i went very polite and more to inform her that the cage was unsuitable and be concerned than to lecture/have a go, anyway the person who owns the buns is on holiday and apparently her hutch broke and she has been keeping them in the indoor cage, they are actually outdoor bunnies and the original owner keeps them in a shed or out building covered up etc till she can get a hutch, anyway i dont imagine these buns have the best life with their owners as the cage is far too small but head brick wall and all that. my neighbour said she will bring them into kitchen over night and i have taken round a thick water proof cover for the cage during day and a fleece lined cat hidey box and said maybe she could take the pigloo out and pop that in. she has plenty of hay (i offered her some but she said shes got loads) anyway she has a tiny hutch its about 3x2 i said with it been so cold during day she could pop buns in the hutch full of hay even though its small it will be warmer and safer for a tempory measure. i mentioned also bringing them in for the night and out again when theyre used to been out can affect them and said if she does pop them in kitchen over night then heating off and make kitchen nice and cold, but did advise putting them in the hutch instead. anyway i have done all i can now and without falling out etc. so hopefully they will act on my advice, i honestly think if i had got the rspca it would of been a massive waste of their time, theyre clueless really not deliberately harmful i think they will take what i have said and improve it. :)

Thanks for all the replies :) right i have been round and had a chat with the lady (shes the nicest its her OH who can be horrible)
i went very polite and more to inform her that the cage was unsuitable and be concerned than to lecture/have a go, anyway the person who owns the buns is on holiday and apparently her hutch broke and she has been keeping them in the indoor cage, they are actually outdoor bunnies and the original owner keeps them in a shed or out building covered up etc till she can get a hutch, anyway i dont imagine these buns have the best life with their owners as the cage is far too small but head brick wall and all that. my neighbour said she will bring them into kitchen over night and i have taken round a thick water proof cover for the cage during day and a fleece lined cat hidey box and said maybe she could take the pigloo out and pop that in. she has plenty of hay (i offered her some but she said shes got loads) anyway she has a tiny hutch its about 3x2 i said with it been so cold during day she could pop buns in the hutch full of hay even though its small it will be warmer and safer for a tempory measure. i mentioned also bringing them in for the night and out again when theyre used to been out can affect them and said if she does pop them in kitchen over night then heating off and make kitchen nice and cold, but did advise putting them in the hutch instead. anyway i have done all i can now and without falling out etc. so hopefully they will act on my advice, i honestly think if i had got the rspca it would of been a massive waste of their time, theyre clueless really not deliberately harmful i think they will take what i have said and improve it. :)

Result :thumb: well done ran x ;)

None of the other houses can see them :( i can see them from upstairs but the other side neighbour cant see because of 2 brick buildings blocking the view, and our houses back onto a school field/woods so no one behind. i think they will take my advice though and then i wont call the rspca back because that really will upset the apple cart as like you say even if i hadnt been round they would know it was me and they are really more cluless than doing it to be cruel from how she was with my concerns etc

Back