• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strawberry admitted

BB Mommy

Warren Veteran
Poor Strawbs was admitted to the vets yesterday.

She'd stopped eating on Thursday, and didn't respond to her normal treatments (pain relief/gut stimulants etc) and as I suspected in turned out to be secondary to the main issue.

When syringe feeding her she produced some small puddles of very pink wee, which explained why her level of pain was much higher than normal:(

My normal rabbit savvy vet is between practices at the moment, and became unavailable last week :( so I was at panic stations to find another good rabbit vet.
Luckily on researching alternatives I found Marie Kubiak - she's about 11 miles from where I am, but really rabbit savvy. Luckily I got Strawbs seen by her yesterday and admitted her.

I got an update last night at 8.30pm to say she was still hunched in pain and not looking very happy, but they were treating her with sub cuts, vetergesic, gut stimulants, septrin and they had got a wee sample which was very bloody and had protein in it, and they were going to carry on treating as suspected cystitsis along with her stasis, but it could also be a kidney problem. The vet couldn't feel stones in her bladder.
This morning she is looking a bit brighter, but her wee is sludgy (just what I'd suspected) so they are loading the fluids to get her to flush it through, but need to see her eating (Roger is scoffing everything they put in so they are going to temporarily separate them)

IF she doesn't improve this afternoon I suspect we'll be looking to xray.....

Can Strawbs have some get well vibes please - I've never seen a bunny shake with pain before, and she's such a little sweetheart...
Vet is calling me again around 2pm, so fingers crossed.

Poor little girl. :(

Sending loads of vibes and hope that she is feeling better very soon.

Thinking of you. xx

Sending loads of vibes poor little girl from watching Co-Co I know how painful it is :( Purely from what I experienced I would have gone for an xray straight away. Mainly because time is precious, and the longer they dont eat the more chance of gas build up etc which may obscure what can be seen on an Xray and also considering how quickly it seemed to come on just in case there is anything causing a small obstruction. If there is cystitus I'd also want to know what it was causing the infection to make sure I had the right abx for the job. I don't have much experience with bunnies so I'm probably talking nonsense and I know how experienced Marie is. I just know time was something we ran out of (53hrs) so Id just do all investigations immediately if we had our chance again. Come on little Strawbs x

Sending loads of vibes.

I hope she's feeling better soon. I hope the flushing her system gets rid of all the nasties causing the problem and she doesn't need anything more invasive.

Thank you for the vibes. Got an update at 2pm to say she was a lot brighter and had eaten, pooped, and was passing clear urine.
I've an appointment at 7pm to bring her home:D

Sending loads of vibes poor little girl from watching Co-Co I know how painful it is :( Purely from what I experienced I would have gone for an xray straight away. Mainly because time is precious, and the longer they dont eat the more chance of gas build up etc which may obscure what can be seen on an Xray and also considering how quickly it seemed to come on just in case there is anything causing a small obstruction. If there is cystitus I'd also want to know what it was causing the infection to make sure I had the right abx for the job. I don't have much experience with bunnies so I'm probably talking nonsense and I know how experienced Marie is. I just know time was something we ran out of (53hrs) so Id just do all investigations immediately if we had our chance again. Come on little Strawbs x

I really wanted an xray too, as I'd love to completely rule out the risk of stones in her kidneys etc, but I understand the reluctance to anaethetize (sp) for an xray with the risk of slowing the gut down again.
If this ever re-occurs, though, hopefully I'll spot it before she goes on hunger strike, so I can get an xray straight away.

Thanks again for the vibes:D

Well Strawbs came home last night.

Unfortunately I had the worst migraine I've had in years, was sick 4 times on the way home, and could barely see when we got home, so I couldn't spend much time with her last night.

She's picking at her food, and looks more comfortable than she did, but I think she still has quite a way to go.
I'm going to continue syringing water into her to keep her bladder flushed through, and I'll do at least one syringe feed a day to make sure she's getting enough food going through........I hope the pain meds and abx work quickly for her though - she's not quite my little Strawbs at the moment:(

I'm so glad she seems to be on the mend :thumb: lets hope when the abx really kick in she will be back to normal in no time :D I hope you are feeling better today too! Ive never had a migraine but by all accounts they are evil!

Our vets don't use GA for an Xray just a mild sedative which is all the more annoying they didnt do it early!

Just out of curiosity, what meds has Strawbs been given and what doses, I'd like to know for future reference to add to my bunny notes just in case it happens again!

I'm so glad she seems to be on the mend :thumb: lets hope when the abx really kick in she will be back to normal in no time :D I hope you are feeling better today too! Ive never had a migraine but by all accounts they are evil!

Our vets don't use GA for an Xray just a mild sedative which is all the more annoying they didnt do it early!

Just out of curiosity, what meds has Strawbs been given and what doses, I'd like to know for future reference to add to my bunny notes just in case it happens again!

When she was admitted she had sub cuts, vetergesic and Septrin from what I can remember (they've only printed out Tuesdays meds and not Mondays)
She's come home on Metacam 0.65ml SID (she is 2.4kg), Zantac 0.48ml BID and Septrin 1.5ml BID.

I'm not convinced the Zantac will be enough onj its own to keep her appetite going though.....I'll have to watch and see....

When she was admitted she had sub cuts, vetergesic and Septrin from what I can remember (they've only printed out Tuesdays meds and not Mondays)
She's come home on Metacam 0.65ml SID (she is 2.4kg), Zantac 0.48ml BID and Septrin 1.5ml BID.

I'm not convinced the Zantac will be enough onj its own to keep her appetite going though.....I'll have to watch and see....

Thank you! we were giving vetergesic SID and baytril, but the baytril was low dose and BID. I cant recal the actual dosing so I'll compare when I get home.

Sending lots more vibes for your poorly girl!

Back