• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Was in Pets at Home first thing this morning...

Charmednm

Mama Doe
And the lovely little bun up for adoption was gone :O

I was certain id been told that she would be available from today and was the first person in the shop so asked about her.

She was through the back as there was 'something wrong' with her and wouldnt be up for adoption until she was better :?

Not exactly sure how this makes me feel. If it puts me off getting her or makes me want her all that much more :roll:

I'm sorry. :( It's better to find out any special needs she might have before you make a commitment though.

If you are looking to bond Poppy in the future you might be better looking out for a neutered boy. Fairly Beloved Rabbit Care (Glasgow) have lots of rabbits up for rehoming.

Could you try and get more information about what is wrong with her? Maybe ask them to bring her out?

Sometimes being 'out the back' is the first step is 'being sent back to breeders':shock: which is NOT a good step!!

Sometimes you can sign an adoption disclaimer with some petshops - basically adopting bunny and agreeing that you will not 'bring back' is something wrong with them. (faulty goods waiver :roll::roll:)

The animals in the adoption centre don't come with any sort of 'guarantee' (for want of a better word) - PaH will ensure they're in good health (which the bunny you're interested in obviously isn't at the moment) but state that they won't be responsible for any subsequent health problems once the animal leaves the store.

If she's not well enough to be adopted, then I think they're doing the right thing by keeping her out the back and (presumably) ensuring she gets treatment to bring her up to full health. I highly doubt they would be sending animals from the adoption centre back to the breeder though, so if you're serious about getting this bunny, then I would wait.

If she's not well enough to be adopted, then I think they're doing the right thing by keeping her out the back and (presumably) ensuring she gets treatment to bring her up to full health. I highly doubt they would be sending animals from the adoption centre back to the breeder though, so if you're serious about getting this bunny, then I would wait.

No no i totally agree, ive had nothing but good experiences with the shop was just posting my miffedness :p

The animals in the adoption centre don't come with any sort of 'guarantee' (for want of a better word) - PaH will ensure they're in good health (which the bunny you're interested in obviously isn't at the moment) but state that they won't be responsible for any subsequent health problems once the animal leaves the store.

I have had to sign these 'waivers' for four of mine two with P@H and two with other garden/pet stores - despite the latter two being cases where the stores have contacted me direct to see if I can take in special needs bun.

With P@H they were keeping one of them 'out the back' and also had another bun out there - that got sent back (they said) - but I do not know if she was actually in adoption before being sent back. As you say it seems unlikely they could send older animals back. I have to say the 'out the back' I saw was dreadful - just stuffed in a small carry crate all day - but I am sure this cannot be the case at all P@Hs .

I haven't seen the 'out the back' section of our local branches, so I couldn't comment either way. :( :?

Were the bunnies you took on intended for the sales floor, rather than the adoption section, parsnipbun? That may explain why they specifically wanted the waiver signed because you have to sign a form for all adoption animals, which already includes a similar sort of waiver.

In reality, they may well be prepared to help if an animal you adopted turns out to be in ill health - we took on a hamster who was found to have a broken leg the following day & they paid for all costs, including an amputation, when they could have just waved the agreement we'd signed in our faces - but I wouldn't count on it.

Charmednm, I understand you're miffed & I would be too - I was just trying to turn it round and look at it as a positive thing. :D:D It won't hurt to ask about her progress though.

Charmednm, I understand you're miffed & I would be too - I was just trying to turn it round and look at it as a positive thing. :D:D It won't hurt to ask about her progress though.

Yeah im defo going to. And i Know it is appreciated :D:wave:

I haven't seen the 'out the back' section of our local branches, so I couldn't comment either way. :( :?

Were the bunnies you took on intended for the sales floor, rather than the adoption section, parsnipbun? That may explain why they specifically wanted the waiver signed because you have to sign a form for all adoption animals, which already includes a similar sort of waiver.

Two were sales floor, two were adoption (though when I adopted there seemed little difference between the two - they still made me pay a set fee etc - but I have heard that has all changed now for adoption - i dont go into P@H anymore so could not say about that).

Two were sales floor, two were adoption (though when I adopted there seemed little difference between the two - they still made me pay a set fee etc - but I have heard that has all changed now for adoption - i dont go into P@H anymore so could not say about that).

My own experiences with them have all been in the last 10 mths-ish, so here's hoping that things have changed in your local branch for the better. :thumb:

I have two little buns both neutered and went to pets at home for supplies and fell in love with this little boy that was up for adoption so asked the guy in the shop how it worked and importantly if my girls didn't like him when I brought him home could I bring him back withing say 24 hours. They said grand so I went home and did some research before going back the next day with a separate room and cage all set up at home, and they told me that they wouldn't guarantee they could take him back even if it was just tomorrow morning (this was at like 4 in the evening) so I had to leave him :( I couldn't risk in my little apt having warring bunnies.

You'd have to be dead inside not to fall in love with this little guy! I went back a week later and he was gone so I hope he got a good home. I think if he'd still been there I'd have thrown caution to the wind and taken him home with me!

Back