• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Allergy or something else

Hi Guys and girls

I am back on the forum after getting two new bunnies (two standard Rex rabbits, one is black the other is an otter rex). My two little guys have had their shots and last Monday we waved goodbye to their boy bits. This turned out to be a bit problematic!
They went in for a check up and their wounds had re-opened so both had to be sedated for the wounds to be cleaned and closed, we were also told that Twilight (black one) had a big infection in the wound. We were given Baytril for both to take and to go back in a few days. We were given two bucket collars to prevent them getting at their wounds and this was fine for a few hours. Twilight started scooping up shavings and dust from the straw/ hay bedding and started sneezing. For a day (Sunday) he had a tiny amount of clear watery discharge around his nose but this stopped after a while.
Yesterday another check up and Twilight's wounds have healed and there is no sign of that infection, no sneezing while out of cage but when he went back in he started sneezing again. I removed his collar and I gave him some hay which he buried his head in and started eating and since then the sneezing has been regular. He has a chain of about 5 -7 sneezes, then settles down and we are ok for 20 or so minutes. After a while he is fine and then he starts again.
I have checked his nose, cheeks and paws for any signs of discharge, which there is none. He is breathing, eating, pooing and drinking fine and is his normal self apart from his sneezes.
I am still trying to get the antibiotics into both bunnies (not all is going in as they hate it).
My other little otter Rex Dylan is fine, apart from his wound being puffy, he has not been scooping dust/shavings so is not sneezing but he is eating drinking fine.
I am worried sick that this could be the start of snuffles or something else (I am a born worrier) so it could be me panicking over nothing but I thought I would see what ideas anyone would bring forward.

PS We have an appointment booked at the vet’s tomorrow morning at 9am for another check up

Thank you and take care

Kind Regards

Natalie :) xxx

If he seems ok when he's not in his cage logic says it's probably the shavings. They're generally not recommended anyway so I'd clean them all out and put down some fleece or something that's definitely not going to irritate a sensitive respiratory system. If he's still sneezing after that then it's time to go back to the vet.
How dusty is the hay you're using?

are you using sawdust or wood shavings? There is a difference between the two. I used to use wood shavings, which never caused my rabbit any harm, but now use chopped straw :) its really soft. Wood shavings can be used, but sawdust should never be used, it is far too dusty and can cause skin and breathing problems.
Which are you using? rubber mats, straw, hay, newspaper (as long as they dont eat it) and blankets are all possible alternatives. :) good luck! x

Back