• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nena has GI slowdown, U/D more questions Wednesday PM

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
Nena isn't right, she's refusing all food and hunched up. SHe wouldnt come in from her run I had to pick her up and that's very unusual. Off to the emergency vets now.

Could anyone tell me the correct painkillers/gut stimulant etc that should be administered if she's in GI slowdown or GI statis? I'll log in on wifi from the surgery to read your suggestions, to make sure they don't miss giving her anything vital.

Thanks a lot, I'm so worried and sorry for the wrong section

Last edited:
Metacam, Metaclop, Zantac, Cisapride is what we normally get. If sent home make sure you have meds to give orally if she will need more plus some recovery food to syringe her with (mental block I can't remeber the name of the stuff :oops:)

Mega vibes for Nena - good luck xx

What she said ^ Ours usually get Fibreplex, although there's critical care as well.

Hope all is ok and she gets better quickly. You're definitely doing the right thing, getting her to the vets so quickly.

Thanks a lot for your replies, it was very handy to have at the vets. I knew metacam and metaclop and some recovery food, but I didn't know what else to ask for if she didn't give it, so thanks for your replies :) Although 32 views and 3 replies make me sick to my stomach, frankly

I took her in and the vet didn't think that she could feel anything wrong in the stomach area, but said that might not mean anything. SHe took her temperature and it was 38.10, so a tiny bit low. Resp, pulse, mucous membranes etc all fine. She gave her 0.40 metacam 2mg/ml, and 10mg/2ml 0.3ml of metaclop. Also gave her 40ml of saline under the skin and some supreme rabbit recovery for home. I've settled them back down in their shed with some fresh food, pellets, apple and carrot. I'll go check on them in an hour or so and see if Nena has perked up any.

My main concern is I don't have any painkillers for tomorrow if she needs them, but the vet put all the details in for the branch near to me so I can take her down to get more tomorrow if necessary.

Cheer up Nenapie :cry:

Gonna ask for this to be moved to a more appropriate section now, I only put it in general chat as I know my 3g can be slow sometimes and I knew where I'd put the thread for easy access :thumb:

I have to admit I read it but having no idea what drugs should be given I didn't reply so you had one less useless post to look through on your phone. Now though, I hope she is back to normal soon and all the meds kick in.

Hope Nena is ok. I know how worrying a bunny not eating and in obvious pain can be. Hopefully the meds will start working soon.

Sending lots go get well vibes to her.

Went to see them 5 times in night . Nena nibbled tiny bit of parsley or apple each time so at least she's eating a little bit . Gonna get some sleep now and give recovery food later . Maybe vets again . Tapla is baffled by everything , silly fluffkin.

Sorry I didn't reply before. I looked but didn't know the answer. Didn't want to clutter the thread with vibes when what you really needed were answers. Hope she'll be okay and you too.

During the night she nibbled apple and parsley if I offered it to her. This morning she ate some more parsley that I gave her with her breakfast. I've been sleeping this morning but my mom reported her nibbling some cabbage that we hung up on one of those bunny kebab things in her run. She also reported she's been out in the run a bit, and when she went to the shed she came to the door and reached up as normal. She took a treat right out my moms hand. So she's obviously feeling a little better if she came to the door for food and actually took it and ate it, problem is I'm worried when the metacam wears off at about 10.30-11pm tonight, what if the pain comes back? We don't know what the cause for this was, and I'm worried it might still be there underneath the painkillers. Would it be a good idea to get an appointment at the vets for this afternoon and ask for some more metacam and/or something else? Not really sure what the best course of action is.

I'm unable to tell if she's pooped, as she shares her accommodation with Tapla and I really don't want to split them up (plus I can't without bringing them inside, which isn't an option as they can't stay inside until April). I did see her wee, I'm pretty sure. Is it best to keep her at home and offer her a wide variety of fresh veg, pellets and treats to get her eating properly? I don't know if she's eaten any hay, as 2/3 of the litter trays are inside the shed. Obviously it's very hard to keep track of the hay intake of an outdoor rabbit.

Any advice would be really gratefully received :)

EDIT: When the vet took her temperature she reported nothing seemed abnormal with her poops from what she could see up her bum :)shock:). There were poops in the carrier at the vets but they were very small, normal-ish colour. Tapla has smaller poops, Nenas are usually bigger. I'm not sure who's poops they were but they were definitely smaller than usual - half the size of Taplas and about 1/3 of the size of Nenas. The vet saw it as a good sign, but I told her that both their poops are usually much larger. Tapla is perfectly happy and fine and greedy and bouncy.

Last edited:
i don't know what to suggest, but am glad that she seems a bit better at least. :)

sorry i'm not that useful on the health advice though!m:(

If you're still worried and she hasn't had stasis before, I'd be inclined to at least phone the vets for advice on pain relief rather than worry yourself all night :)

Would you be able to bring them both indoors into an unheated room so you can get a better idea of how much she's eating/pooping? If they're only in for a few days, they will still be able to go back outdoors once Nena is feeling 100%. I've done this a few times with my two.

I hope she feels better soon. xx

Normally with stasis I get sent home with meds to cover at least a couple of days. I would give the vets a call and say you're concerned that although Nena appears to be eating a little, she is not back to normal and ask about further meds for her. I'd definitely contact them this afternoon and get something sorted, much better than waiting and then having to return to the emergency vets! Good luck xx

Thanks for your advice again guys :) I've got an appointment at 3pm and I'll let you know how it goes x

Back