• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescue or New Born?

most people will say a rescue bun on here and that way you know the temperment before taking one home. also you know of any health concerns if any. plus there are so many needing homes:wave:

A rabbit who is freshly weaned can also be a rescue. No 'new born' should ever be rehomed though.

I personally would always advise a rescue, especially to a new owner, because with a reputable rescue, especially with a spayed/neutered adult, you would know what you were getting, would hopefully get good backup, support and advice. You would be less likely to deal with hormonal issues or aggression issues alone, a lot of the reasons that people rehome would likely not occur because of good advice and support from the start.

The choices, for me, would be a reputable breeder, or a reputable rescue, but ideally, a reputable rescue all the way.

A rabbit who is freshly weaned can also be a rescue. No 'new born' should ever be rehomed though.

I personally would always advise a rescue, especially to a new owner, because with a reputable rescue, especially with a spayed/neutered adult, you would know what you were getting, would hopefully get good backup, support and advice. You would be less likely to deal with hormonal issues or aggression issues alone, a lot of the reasons that people rehome would likely not occur because of good advice and support from the start.

The choices, for me, would be a reputable breeder, or a reputable rescue, but ideally, a reputable rescue all the way.

thanks for the tip, when i say 'new born' i mean like one from a breeder.

It's pretty common to find young bunnies in rescues because so many bunnies come in pregnant, so you could get a young bunny from a rescue with all the positives the rescue offers :)

It's pretty common to find young bunnies in rescues because so many bunnies come in pregnant, so you could get a young bunny from a rescue with all the positives the rescue offers :)

awesomee ^^ i just hope i will pass the home check thing, but im not sure what they look for etc. im hoping to get one April time now :) cause im hoping to move in with my boyfriend at the end of next month :) x

Hello and welcome:wave:

Looking around the forum you will quickly see that we are pro rescue. While there are around 40,000 rabbits in rescue - of all shapes, sizes, colours and ages we are unlikely to suggest you encourage the breeding of more.

Also, rabbits enjoy company their own kind so we would suggest rescuing a pair of rabbits, a neutered boy, girl pair often works well. The beauty of rescued rabbits is that they will come ready neutered, bonded and health checked.

awesomee ^^ i just hope i will pass the home check thing, but im not sure what they look for etc. im hoping to get one April time now :) cause im hoping to move in with my boyfriend at the end of next month :) x

Each rescue will have its own criteria so you can call and chat with who you hope to adopt from, if you know, to find out what their criteria is. The rescue I volunteer with has very high standards and our criteria is available on my website under 'volunteering' (the link is in my sig under 'Flash's Place').

Each rescue will have its own criteria so you can call and chat with who you hope to adopt from, if you know, to find out what their criteria is. The rescue I volunteer with has very high standards and our criteria is available on my website under 'volunteering' (the link is in my sig under 'Flash's Place').

that was really useful :) im sure i'll pass all of them :) im hoping have only one bun for now thou! but i got told by people from RSPCA and pet shops etc...that having bun is okay, but you have to give it loads of attention, which I intend to do fully :) x

Enjoy looking for your bunny :wave:

I have a single house bunny (due to not mixing with other bunnies) and even though someone is at home with him 90% of the time as my husband does not work, he still gets lonely and will pester us when we come back in. We give him so much attention but its still not enough. I would recommend 2 personally as 'a lot' of time really is loads :)

Enjoy looking for your bunny :wave:

I have a single house bunny (due to not mixing with other bunnies) and even though someone is at home with him 90% of the time as my husband does not work, he still gets lonely and will pester us when we come back in. We give him so much attention but its still not enough. I would recommend 2 personally as 'a lot' of time really is loads :)

Thank you! I really wouldnt mind 2 buns, but i duno if i'll be hard work or not. im sure i'll find the right bun :) x

Thank you! I really wouldnt mind 2 buns, but i duno if i'll be hard work or not. im sure i'll find the right bun :) x

Having 2 buns is actually easier as they keep each other company. When you have a single they are always wanting attention and can sometimes become bored and destructive. 2 buns won't create that much more mess and it's lovely to see them grooming each other and being all snuggled up. Yo will however need more money as there will be double the vaccinations and insurance/vet bills.

Good luck with getting your buns :wave:

Having 2 buns is actually easier as they keep each other company. When you have a single they are always wanting attention and can sometimes become bored and destructive. 2 buns won't create that much more mess and it's lovely to see them grooming each other and being all snuggled up. Yo will however need more money as there will be double the vaccinations and insurance/vet bills.

Good luck with getting your buns :wave:

true....soo cute ^^
im a Uni student, so money is abit of a problem but hoping to get a part time job :)

NOW i really want 2 buns!! xx

just to echo what others have said, rescue buns are definitely a better option where possible, as you will be able to pick a rabbit who's personality suits you, age makes no real difference with bonding to them. After all rabbits live upto and sometimes beyond 10 years, even if you get a bun who is 5years old from a rescue it still has half it's life left with you :D

I've seen quite a few of your threads and just some things to think about that you haven't already mentioned.
will you get your rabbit(s) insured, as vets bills can get expensive and can you afford 3 vaccinations a year? it's worth researching vets in your area to find a rabbit savvy vet.
I know you said your future landlord has agreed to caged pets, it will be worth confirming this with him, especially if the contract for the house will change to include you. get it in writing that he agrees for you to have rabbits, both for yourself and because rescues probably won't rehome to you if you can't prove you are allowed them.
it would also be worth discussing with all your housemates at length and setting ground rules. housemates and pets rarely mix well and too often lead to nasty falling outs. you don't want them messing about while you are out, or thinking they are being nice by feeding bunny treats while you are out. or forgetting bunny is running about and leaving the front door open. not saying these things will happen, but I never trusted my housemates with my animals, evn though they were my best friends.

also think carefully about what will happen after you finish uni can you be sure you will still be in a situation where you have the time, money and space to look after her still?

i honestly don't mean to be a downer, I was in your situation two years ago now and i spent lots of time thinking and planning but I didn't have the money, and my future wasn't certain enough for it to be fair on the rabbit. even though I know it would have had a good home with me. I still don't have any bunnies, and I probably won't for at least another year or two. :(

I assume by new born you mean a breeder.

It totally depends what you are looking for in a rabbit, but most rabbit breeds can be found in rescues, and many are friendly and just looking for homes.

just to echo what others have said, rescue buns are definitely a better option where possible, as you will be able to pick a rabbit who's personality suits you, age makes no real difference with bonding to them. After all rabbits live upto and sometimes beyond 10 years, even if you get a bun who is 5years old from a rescue it still has half it's life left with you :D

I've seen quite a few of your threads and just some things to think about that you haven't already mentioned.
will you get your rabbit(s) insured, as vets bills can get expensive and can you afford 3 vaccinations a year? it's worth researching vets in your area to find a rabbit savvy vet.
I know you said your future landlord has agreed to caged pets, it will be worth confirming this with him, especially if the contract for the house will change to include you. get it in writing that he agrees for you to have rabbits, both for yourself and because rescues probably won't rehome to you if you can't prove you are allowed them.
it would also be worth discussing with all your housemates at length and setting ground rules. housemates and pets rarely mix well and too often lead to nasty falling outs. you don't want them messing about while you are out, or thinking they are being nice by feeding bunny treats while you are out. or forgetting bunny is running about and leaving the front door open. not saying these things will happen, but I never trusted my housemates with my animals, evn though they were my best friends.

also think carefully about what will happen after you finish uni can you be sure you will still be in a situation where you have the time, money and space to look after her still?

i honestly don't mean to be a downer, I was in your situation two years ago now and i spent lots of time thinking and planning but I didn't have the money, and my future wasn't certain enough for it to be fair on the rabbit. even though I know it would have had a good home with me. I still don't have any bunnies, and I probably won't for at least another year or two. :(

Thanks for the tips :)

Yeah of course i would get in bun(nies) insured :) gonna look into that :)
With the landlord, i was gonna get it in writing anyway etc :)
Ive already discussing it with him, they are fine and my boyfriends has animals and they dont even touch them unless Sean (my boyfriend) says so. With the bun(nies) running around it'll be only when im in :) and tbh the housemates never leave doors open and watch there steps anyway :)

I'll always make time for the bun(nies), im getting a part time job asap :) and when ive finished uni go into full time and still have time for the bun(nies) :) x

Back