• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping spiders out of sheds

Despite a spider phobia it is always good to get rid of webs and spiders this time of year as the webs collect moisture and can make the air damp. But they are great in summer time :)

Because I have arachnophobia and can't attend to my buns if there are spiders in the sheds.
You can get over it. We renovated the house here and I cannot tell you how many close encounters with unpleasantly large spiders I've had in the last 5 or 6 years.

In the UK, if there was a large spider on a wall (you know - the August / September spiders :shock:) I'd have to sit and watch it until OH arrived home to remove it. Now, I have the totally involuntary internal silent shriek when all my organs contract and then I flick it to the ground and bundle it outside. Even if I see one rushing towards me (did you know their feet make tiny clicking sounds on tiled floors ?!) I can deal with it. So it can be overcome if you are determined - and frankly, I just got fed up with having the problem.

However! Shed spiders can be a bit more problematical. In my craft studio (rustic stone walls) there are some tube spiders and they are quite aggressive and their bites are nasty so I do remove them. Other British spiders are capable of biting too so while I can see the benefit of webs in sheds capturing virus-carrying mossies and the like, I would clear them out on a regular basis.

Spiders that bite...

My cousin is terrified of spiders and swears by fresh conkers. His room is full of last autumns conkers and free from spiders despite elsewhere in the house having plenty. I think its the oil in them that they dont like,which I assume is what they put in the deterrent sprays. I dont know how safe they are with bunnies but if not hanging conkers out of reach may help.

Some people cannot get over spider phobias though, no matter how good they are at eating flies, they are just truly terrifying to some.

Some people cannot get over spider phobias though, no matter how good they are at eating flies, they are just truly terrifying to some.

Agree. I literally fear for my life at the sight of spiders, as does my brother!
The normal protocol is my mum + broom + peckish JRT.. But I do not wish harm upon the eight legged evil that lurks in my bunnies homes..
I just want them out of the sheds.

you can get an insect and mite spray from pet shops.
i think both Shelley's and Johnsons both do one.

it's meant for the housing area and hutches so i use about 2/3 tins when i do the whole shed but i only do it about twice a year. i spray a lot around the door edges and places they would get in.

the bunnies need to be out of there for about an hour while you spray and wait fot the fumes to die down a bit.
i find it works quite well as i used to get a lot of beetles and earwigs which freak me out.. spiders i can deal with as long as they don't try touch me!

it's meant for the housing area and hutches so i use about 2/3 tins when i do the whole shed but i only do it about twice a year. i spray a lot around the door edges and places they would get in.
I know they're "safe around (non-insect) animals" but I'd worry about all the chemical residues - so I'd try the conker route first.

Many or most insecticides don't harm spiders - them being arachnids an' all.

Last edited:
Spiders..natures chemical free fly killers! leave them be.Your buns are more at threat from flies than spiders.:(

Back