• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help, recurrent ear problems.

Alibunmum

Wise Old Thumper
Belle is my newest foster bun and has been here about a fortnight. I went out to her today and found this,
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

We are going to the vet tonight but I am interested to know how people cope with recurrent ear infections. She is eating happily and seems fine in herself.

Oh my poor girl :cry:

That looks like bacterial otitis secondary to mites

Has she had any previous treatments do you know ?

Oh the poor little lady, that looks sore :cry: Great that shes still eating , hopefully that means it hasnt gone too deep.

Im glad Jane has replied, she has the best experience of this. Just wanted to send loads of vibes for her xxxxxxxx

All I know is that she had a problem about two months ago and was treated for it, unfortunately I don't know what with. I feel awful I hadn't noticed it before it got so bad.:cry:

Oh my:(

That does look sore!! I sympathize with you!! My 2 both have infections, but they don't look like that!!!

Vets will be ableto help, but I believe Jacks Jane is one of the most knowledgeable on here. Has given me some advice to o back to vets with!!! At least she's still eating!!

Best of luck to you, and bestest wishes that all gets resolved!!!

Sorry can't be more help, I'm a newbie!! :wave:

Hope the vet can help, poor girl. :( Her ear looks sore, but at least you have caught it before it is troubling her.

Hi guys, we saw the vet and he has given her an invermectin injection and canaural ear drops to give twice daily.

Barney, her partner has no signs at the moment but he was given an injection too in the hope it would stop him being infected. Back in two weeks for another injection then two weeks after that again.

Well, after one nights tranent her ear is looking loads better. A lot of the stuff has come off the inside of her ear and when she shakes her head bits come flying out. Bit disconcerting when that includes little black dots that move!

Well, after one nights tranent her ear is looking loads better. A lot of the stuff has come off the inside of her ear and when she shakes her head bits come flying out. Bit disconcerting when that includes little black dots that move!

Better out than in !!

Sounds gruesome:mrgreen: bvut glad she's getting better.

I remember seeing pics of a rabbit with the same condition, far, far more advanced than yours, and the treatment worked unbelievably quickly and effectively.

Thanks for the support folks, I am so pleased it is getting better so quickly. Now I hope she manages to stay clear longer than two months this time.

Does anyone know if there is a preventative medicine which chronic sufferers can have?

Im not sure that there is, but i use 'Petsafe Ear Wipes' on my bunny. They keep the ear clean, preventing wax build up, wipes and infection. you can get all different rabbit ear wipes, and how often you use them will depend on the brand. Do you use ear wipes at the minute? :) x

Back