• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Soft cecotrophs any cures other than hay only?

Boudicca

Warren Veteran
As the title says really. Does anyone have any suggestions for curing a delicate gut producing soft cecals other than putting the bunny on a grass hay only diet?

Daisy is slightly overweight and I assumed was having difficulty cleaning herself but im not so sure this is the problem. I have been studying the cecals and they are not always formed correctly I then read an article someone posted on here recently :)thumb:) and it described what was going on. I also read the cure was to go on a hay only diet until cecals return to normal then introduce veg one at a time slowly. If Daisy was on her own this wouldnt be an issue as she loves her hay, but Dudley is a normal weight and isnt so fond of hay! I dont want to put them on a hay diet at the expense of his health and weight! I have tried separate feeding but Dudley is a grazer and Daisy is a trougher they are free range and go everywhere together so it's hard to get them on their own, hence my question for a possible alternative.

They are currently on Science Selective but I see that it is made with alfalfa, would switching to the pro-fibre protexin pellets help?

What are natural substitutes that might help, was it Hawthorn leaves, bramble leaves and plantain?

I'm cutting down the veg gradually so that smaller portion sizes will result in more hay consumption, unfortunately it has resulted in my sofa being eaten, along with their tubes and boxes :?

Any suggestions welcome, thank you!

I would try pro fibre for a month and see if it helps. I had this with one of my rabbits and they helped immensely.

As the title says really. Does anyone have any suggestions for curing a delicate gut producing soft cecals other than putting the bunny on a grass hay only diet?

Daisy is slightly overweight and I assumed was having difficulty cleaning herself but im not so sure this is the problem. I have been studying the cecals and they are not always formed correctly I then read an article someone posted on here recently :)thumb:) and it described what was going on. I also read the cure was to go on a hay only diet until cecals return to normal then introduce veg one at a time slowly. If Daisy was on her own this wouldnt be an issue as she loves her hay, but Dudley is a normal weight and isnt so fond of hay! I dont want to put them on a hay diet at the expense of his health and weight! I have tried separate feeding but Dudley is a grazer and Daisy is a trougher they are free range and go everywhere together so it's hard to get them on their own, hence my question for a possible alternative.

They are currently on Science Selective but I see that it is made with alfalfa, would switching to the pro-fibre protexin pellets help?

What are natural substitutes that might help, was it Hawthorn leaves, bramble leaves and plantain?

I'm cutting down the veg gradually so that smaller portion sizes will result in more hay consumption, unfortunately it has resulted in my sofa being eaten, along with their tubes and boxes :?

Any suggestions welcome, thank you!

Profibre pellets aren't 'pellets' so to speak - they shuold be fed alongside normal feeds they aren't a replacement pelletted feed, but a supplement :)

Bramble is our 'gut control' feed, its high in fibre so is great for the gut.

Personally, in your situation, i'd slowly cut out the veg (sudden removal is the same as a big change) and keep it to pellets + hay only for them both. You may find Dudley tucks into his hay more if he doesnt fill up on the other veg.

Sounds like you're suffering from caecal dysbiosis, of which yes, high fibre diet and no treats/veg etc would be the normal way to get it all under control.

Hope this helps.

I would also remove all cardboard. The risk of cecal impaction is much higher in a Rabbit who's GI tract is not functioning efficiently.

Have you tried giving her some Fibreplex ?

Feeding profibre alongside hay is pretty much the same as a hay only diet. It's what Wish, Flame and Autumn have because of Wish and Flame's gut issues. They just need a very good quality hay alongside it.

If I feed them any amount of pellets we get excess caecs everywhere- same as if I feed them anything other than the occasional fresh herbs.

The profibre pellets just generally get their gut in the best shape possible. I do feed larger amounts than is suggested though, to get that in mine.

(also, I'm at Ravenswood with my indoor crew again tomorrow night at 5pm if you fancy another quick meet up :D )

If I remember rightly you feed very few SS pellets so wouldn't it be possible to sneak Dudley his while Daisy is otherwise engaged in the hay basket?

I haven't found the pro-fibre pellets make a huge difference to Spenser, although his poos are a bit more plentiful. I'm having doubts about having cut out his fresh food because it hasn't made any difference to his hay-consumption or output - he's just grumpier! The pro-fibre pellets are worth a try though, based on the experience of others. :thumb:

Wow you two were quick thanks :D ETA.. there were only 2 replies when I started typing :lol:

Yes definitely sounds like caecal dysbiosis to me after reading the article!! I only feed about 6-8 pellets each a day, so not much as it is. How many of the profibre ones do you feed alongside the normal pellets? I presume they are much more concentrated than the Pro-C Probiotic I have in the water (which hasnt helped but then they dont drink a huge amount!!). I'll definitely give them a go and see how we get on thank you.... trots off to order some!

Last edited:
Have a look at this : While Daisy isnt in stasis this flow chart that was done for Hopping Mad does show how to monitor poops etc
http://www.hoppingmad.org/E3/GIstasis.htm

In Daisys case I would be more inclined to offer more meadow mix, plantain, dried dandelion etc :/ but i do see your issue with Dudley, having looked after them many times, it is awakward and Daisy would get SO angry if Dudley got the food she didnt

I would also remove all cardboard. The risk of cecal impaction is much higher in a Rabbit who's GI tract is not functioning efficiently.

Have you tried giving her some Fibreplex ?

Thank you! Yes I had a sleepless night last night listening to munching and tearing :shock: Ive removed all but one which is their main sleeping area and Im converting to wooden ones. I have to make the last one this weekend. But that is a huge worry, in fact now youve compounded my fears I'll remove it when Im home!! Im also switching from the green tunnels to the thicker runaround ones!

I do have a brand new tube of fibreplex in the cupboard so I could start with that while waiting for the profibre pellets :D

Feeding profibre alongside hay is pretty much the same as a hay only diet. It's what Wish, Flame and Autumn have because of Wish and Flame's gut issues. They just need a very good quality hay alongside it.

If I feed them any amount of pellets we get excess caecs everywhere- same as if I feed them anything other than the occasional fresh herbs.

The profibre pellets just generally get their gut in the best shape possible. I do feed larger amounts than is suggested though, to get that in mine.

(also, I'm at Ravenswood with my indoor crew again tomorrow night at 5pm if you fancy another quick meet up :D )

I use dust free hay from the Dust Free Hay Co but its not great quality at the mo. Have you found a good local place for nice hay?

Yes I'll call over tomorrow if I don't have any meetings that run over :D what time is your appointment?

If I remember rightly you feed very few SS pellets so wouldn't it be possible to sneak Dudley his while Daisy is otherwise engaged in the hay basket?

I haven't found the pro-fibre pellets make a huge difference to Spenser, although his poos are a bit more plentiful. I'm having doubts about having cut out his fresh food because it hasn't made any difference to his hay-consumption or output - he's just grumpier! The pro-fibre pellets are worth a try though, based on the experience of others. :thumb:

Yes me and Duds try and sneak a crafty treat in while Daisy is elsewhere but she has eyes and ears in the back of her head she knows when something is going on with food :lol:

Have a look at this : While Daisy isnt in stasis this flow chart that was done for Hopping Mad does show how to monitor poops etc
http://www.hoppingmad.org/E3/GIstasis.htm

In Daisys case I would be more inclined to offer more meadow mix, plantain, dried dandelion etc :/ but i do see your issue with Dudley, having looked after them many times, it is awakward and Daisy would get SO angry if Dudley got the food she didnt

Thank you, I'll have a little look after my mtg! I have been feeding more dried herby things but prepacked as opposed to me going out foraging for them! and yes she oulw kill me if Duds got the food and she didnt can you imagine the look of furious thunder!!! Ive seen what she does to a willow ball when her dinner is late :shock:

Back