• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dilemma, think I need a pep-talk...

Ozbun

Warren Scout
Hello, my lovely bun Ozzie is getting worse & worse for pooing & spraying on the sofa, he's not been allowed up there for months but as soon as your back is turned, he'll jump right up and do not just 1 or 2 pellets but 30-50 and a huge stinky wee. I'm constantly washing waterproofs & sofa throws (not to mention cushion covers, towels, sofa cushions etc etc!).

Thing is.. he's going to do that because i haven't had him neutered yet. I meant to do this in January but I have just realised that the reason for putting it off is that I'm scared something may happen to him under anaesthetic. I do want him neutered as it's better for his health i the long term but I have a friend who kept rabbits for years & lost a few that way. The other thing I worry about is that I haven't had him insured yet. What if he went into stasis after the op? If I got him insured after that, am I right in thinking it would be a pre-existing condition & they wouldn't pay out? It's really horrible having to think about money but Im on a low income & would be paying vets bills off for years. :(

Im thinking i should get him insured asap, then neutered after the no claim period has passed. I do wish i felt better about the anaesthetic though, can anyone reassure me?

It is definately a worrying thing, yes there is a risk that things may not go well, but he seems like he needs the op to calm him down a bit. Loads of bunnied get through their ops fine.

Just take him to a reliable vets with experience in bunny neuteres :)

If you don't get him neutered for your own sake when you know it's best for him, and something happens to him (such as testicular cancer, or some sort of injury related to hormones) then you will forever blame yourself because you will know the choice you made was not based on what is best for him, but what is best for yourself.

It is understandable to be scared, but if you put him in for the operation then you know you are making the best choice for him. If the unlikely does happen (because yes, let's face it, there is always a risk, but the better the vet and the better the condition of the bunny, the lesser the risk) then he won't suffer, he will just slip away. The one who will suffer will be you but at least, in time, you would be able to see you made the best choice for him.

If you want him insured then do it and get him neutered ASAP after the cover is full.

I know how it feels. I felt quite concerned for my bunny being spayed when she started to become messy and aggressive. Don't forget it is considered worse for females as the surgery has to go inside the body to remove the organs and is more invasive for the body. But I knew it was for the best as she would be a much happier bun without hormones and she wouldn't have the risk of any cancers or infections. Boys have it easier as it is just a small cut and then they remove the testicles. You don't have to go into the body and it is less of a shock for the body to deal with. As long as you have a rabbit savvy vet and take care of the wound it will all be fine :thumb:

Thanks for your help everyone. He had the pre-op check-up & is a healthy boy so that's something.

Back