• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Flossie please- UPDATE mucky bottom help needed!

Bea & Floss

Mama Doe
She has something wrong with her eye it is protruding and watering so shes in the vets having it ultrasounded. Hope it's not an abcess or tumour :-( poor flossie fluffett

Last edited:
Sending Floss lots of vibes. They can cope well with limited sight.

I have a bunny who has a cataract forming at the moment. At first they thought something else and eye had to be removed but this has not been the case so far but we are keeping a close watch on it so I know how you feel.

Hugs to you x

What a shock, poor Flossie :( sending lots of vibes that she gets through the op ok and recovers well xx

Oh no, poor Flossie :cry: My bridge bun Miffy had an eye removed and he coped fine without it. I hope the op goes well. Sending lots of vibes xx

She's come through her op but is going to be kept in tonight. It was an abcess not a tumour but i haven't spoken to the vet yet so not quite sure of details or where we'll go from here.

Oh bless her, you must be so worried :( Great that your vet acted so quickly. I hope she makes a fast and smooth recovery, sending loads of vibes xxx

sending vibes ***
Rabbits can cope quite well with limited sight, dont worry, hopefully she will be fine, and she will certainly be in less pain without an abcess in her eye. Hope shes better soon :) x

Flossie is home and seems to be happier than before she want in :D She had an abcess behind her eye which was contained inside a capsule so it and the eye have been removed. It wasnt attached to a tooth root so the vet doesnt think its dental related. I just hope thats the end of it.:?

As shes been in the warm vets for two days i haven't put her back outside, it going to be -7 tonight :shock: so we've made some space and set up a bunny area inside my hubbys garden office and both her and Beatrice seem quite happy exploring their temporary house, Floss is bumping into a few things but hopefully soon she will adjust to vision through one eye.

It really makes you realise how much you love them when they are unwell. I'm just glad shes home :D

Flossie seems quite but and active this morning however i am worried :(

As soon as i walked into the room i could smell an awful smell, her bottom is mucky and there are numerous piles of cecotrophs, all the other poos are tiny whereas they are usually huge. I know cecals smell strong but these smell different, really unpleasant. I guess this is the penicillin injections which i know can upset the balance of bacteria in the gut. what should i do? would probiotics help?

She is eating bits not a huge amount of hay but has had a little nibble of some pellets and some dried leaves and herbs.

Also she has a little bit of blood coming out of her nose but i suppose thats just draining from the eye?

Back