• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Breeder Forum?

nessar

Warren Veteran
Does anyone know of any (hopefully fairly busy) forums with some breeders on?

I want to see if they can identify Barneys breed for me. I was told he was a pure breed bought for £50 but she couldnt remember the breed, except it 'sounded french'. So annoying not knowing- I wish they had just said he was a generic large rabbit!

I think he's a beveren but that doesnt sound very french...

You mention Beveren.

Well I've been trying to work out what breed my Estelle is. Many of her gorgeous physical attributes point to her being either a full or mostly Beveren. Estelle is the white bunny in my avatar.

I think that they originate from Belgium. I will have to dig out one of my bunny books for more details.

The picture of Barney in your signature looks promising. Could you post some more perhaps?

I will also post a photos of Estelle........hopefully a good one.

Got to go now, but I will do this later on on the day.:thumb:

Last edited:
He seems to almost match the breed standard, his fur is very dense and is silky, he is white all over with blue eyes. He is 3.4kg currently, but he is underweight at the moment. His first weighing when I got him came out at 5kg, but I think this might have been an error on the scales of the vet, as at next weighing a month later he was around 4.3kg and he seemed chubbier, so I think he was actually around 4kg that first day. At a good weight he would probably be about 3.6kg, so on the small side of the breed standard, but then a breeder wouldnt sell a baby bun as a pet that was good enough to show. He doesnt quite meet the breed standard for any of the breeds I've looked at. When alert he carries his ears in a V shape, slightly curved at the top, but when he is relaxed they droop down as you can see in my sig (although I think he's trying not to touch the roof of the table there). I think he looks adorable when one is drooping so I'm afraid I dont have many pics where they're not :oops:

Mrs Bunnykins, Estelle was actually what made me think he was a beveren, as he's almost a dead-ringer for her, and you said you thought she was a beveren.

SAM_2100.jpg

you can see the shape of his face in this one:
SAM_1807.jpg

Dont eat me for this one, but it shows his body shape and also how thick his fur is, because that harness is not cutting in, if anything it might be a bit loose. Was before I knew better and thought he needed more exercise so figured walking him on the beach outside my house would be a good idea. We were only there 5 mins, once he had finished his broccoli he got back inside his carrier and I took the hint :lol:

167383_10150129703645516_562150515_8391365_5363123_n.jpg

And I thought a video of him ignoring me for once and being rabbity might help, its pretty unusual as everytime I move he focusses on me. Excuse the mess :oops::

More are uploading, I'll add them in a sec.

These ones show his body shape:

SAM_2411.jpg

Fast asleep and slightly snoring :love:
SAM_2448.jpg

This pic is as close as I can get to the position they put show rabbits in. He does it all the time when lying next to Annabelle or when I'm stroking his nose, but the minute I stop stroking him or move for the camera he puts his head up :oops: Its not a good pic (my camera I think has a slow shutter speed) and that blurry moving pink thing is my hand :oops: I had to keep stroking his head and giving noserubs to keep him still.

SAM_2568.jpg

Right I'm on the case.

Just going to post some photos of Estelle.:thumb:

2011_1008october20110047.jpg

2011_1008october20110048.jpg

2011_02062011furryfamily0006-1.jpg

2011_02192011August0021.jpg

2011_02052011furryfamily0004-1.jpg

Estelle's fur is very dense and quite long and silky.
She has a strong broad face, beautiful blue eyes and her ears do form a v shape.

She currently weighs 3.71kgs. At her heaviest she was just over 4.00kgs!!

Her ears seem to be neither up or down. They are either back or facing forwards and acting as blinkers!!!:lol::lol:

2011_1008october20110054.jpg

2011_1008october20110055-1.jpg

:love::love::love::love:

nessar. I would say that your beautiful Barney is the same breed/ crossbreed as my Estelle. Whatever they are, the one fact is that they are both adorable. :thumb::thumb::love::love:

Last edited:
Have you tried goldenbunnies?

I can imagine "beveren" sounding vaguely French .

I'm a member of Golden Bunnies but it's not really breeder based. Infact I don't think there's any breeders on there now, it's more rescue based now. :)

Your bunny is lovely but sorry I have no idea about the breed. :oops:

Sorry, no help ... I'm just admiring Estelle and Barney! :oops::love:
Admire away!!!!:thumb::thumb:

Do you think that they are the same breed/cross breed?

I reckon they are.

I've been admiring the photo of Spenser when he has just woken up................or is that having just BEEN woken up!:shock::lol::lol::love::love:

Last edited:
Admire away!!!!:thumb::thumb:

Do you think that they are the same breed/cross breed?

I reckon they are.

I've been admiring Spenser when he has just woken up................or is that BEEN woken up!:shock::lol::lol::love::love:

Yes, they do look very similar to me. The combination of unusual (in the best sense of the word of course!) and similar suggests to a novice that they are the same breed or cross breed. I often wonder what Spenser's Dad was like - I met Mum, a dark brown lionhead rather smaller and fluffier than Spenser.

Yes, they do look very similar to me. The combination of unusual (in the best sense of the word of course!) and similar suggests to a novice that they are the same breed or cross breed. I often wonder what Spenser's Dad was like - I met Mum, a dark brown lionhead rather smaller and fluffier than Spenser.

A friend of mine has many bunnies, all of which are from the same family. (A rescue story with a happy ending.) She has a REW called Snowdrop who is very similar to Spenser. Snowdrop has a Mum sounding very much like Spenser's, and her Daddy is a gorgeous grey rex.

You will never know......unfortunately.

Anyway, Spenser is totally adorable whatever his Mummy and Daddy looked like. :love::love:

I think they are the same breed too Mrs Bunnykins :love: her ears are shorter, but thats the only real difference I can see, maybe her face is rounder too.

Barney: fank yoos for admirin mes Susiebun, I iz under-pwee-siated here, Mummys run out apples stickses an fenugweek cwunches, I iz NOT appy!

Recognise any of these names? http://www.thebrc.org/standards.htm (Fur breeds)

If he is a purebreed (you don't often see purebreed fur rabbits with lopping ears, except in the giants as their ears are so heavy), maybe Vienna or Beveren, or the Blanc de Bouscat/Termonde but not sure if anyone breeds them in this country anymore

Last edited:
Could he be the Hulstlander breed or a cross Hulstlander? I helped rescue one once and he was very similar to your bunny. If you google it you can find pics and breeder sites of one.

Could he be the Hulstlander breed or a cross Hulstlander? I helped rescue one once and he was very similar to your bunny. If you google it you can find pics and breeder sites of one.

I think he might be too big for Hulstlander, there's a couple of Hulstlanders at Rabbit Residence at the moment, they're about half the size!

With his ears being the way they are, I would lend towards a big crossbreed, poss Dwarf Lop with a big meat breed?

:wave: Hi I actually know zilch about rabbit breeds, but am still trying to find out more about my new rescue Benjie.
I friend of mine who's had a Beveren in the past, thinks he could have a lot of Beveran in him, but he's still young & growing fast.
As I understand it pure breed Beverans have close set upright ears.
http://www.raising-rabbits.com/beveren-rabbits.html provided a way in to research, also http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=bev...1t:429,r:6,s:0

Whatever the breed or cross, you've both got gorgeous rabbits! :love:

Back